MTA to Overhaul 46 MCI Cruisers!

East New York

Ugh...more MCI talk....

JOKING!!!

Sounds good. If the 46 CLs are the ones at Yukon, Charleston and Ulmer Park, those are definitely needed for an overhaul as they've been through hell within a short span of their lives.

Ugh...more MCI talk....

JOKING!!!

Sounds good. If the 46 CLs are the ones at Yukon, Charleston and Ulmer Park, those are definitely needed for an overhaul as they've been through hell within a short span of their lives.

46? S.I only has 15 with the other 15 at UP. And it states that its for MTA Bus.

I find it odd and kinda offensive that the MTA would go to an outside company for work that is perfectly capable of being done inhouse. Unless they are backed up beyond the capabilities of grand ave and zerega, this really shouldn't be allowed to happen. This just reinforces the rumor that I heard a year ago about the MTA wanting a separate CMF for MTAB...I wonder what the union will have to say about this...

I find it odd and kinda offensive that the MTA would go to an outside company for work that is perfectly capable of being done inhouse. Unless they are backed up beyond the capabilities of grand ave and zerega, this really shouldn't be allowed to happen. This just reinforces the rumor that I heard a year ago about the MTA wanting a separate CMF for MTAB...I wonder what the union will have to say about this...

They are backed up at ENY, GA, and Zerega.

You Got 350 RTS'

Orion V's

Orion VII's

MCI's

D60HF's

Engine Rebuilds, overhauls, and re-powers too.

MTA doesn't have the capacity or manpower to perform maintenance and overhaul on all these vehicles simultaneously.

And then on top of that, you still have to include regularly scheduled, and unscheduled maintenance.

Interesting. I wonder what numbers the MTA will pick. Also...since it's in Deer Park, then I would be expecting to see a lot more MCIs on the Long Island Expwy...at least until about exit 51 (Deer Park Av).

Ah yes, good ol' Exit 51 on the LIE, that's where my uncle lives at, great neighborhood

IMO I think mta bus should give some of their mci's to nyct and they take the newer models that come in .

I disagree... (MTA) Bus was given basically brand new MCIs and they are certainly not used as heavily as the NYCT MCIs are. Ulmer Park and Castleton in particular are in desparate need of new express buses, as is Yukon and Charleston. You can add Queens Village to the mix as well and then Meredith, so basically all of them... lol

They are backed up at ENY, GA, and Zerega.

You Got 350 RTS'

Orion V's

Orion VII's

MCI's

D60HF's

Engine Rebuilds, overhauls, and re-powers too.

MTA doesn't have the capacity or manpower to perform maintenance and overhaul on all these vehicles simultaneously.

And then on top of that, you still have to include regularly scheduled, and unscheduled maintenance.

this kinda explains why some of the buses that have been coming back from the 8 year program have been "incomplete", but all the more reason to have a separate CMF for MTAB

I disagree... (MTA) Bus was given basically brand new MCIs and they are certainly not used as heavily as the NYCT MCIs are. Ulmer Park and Castleton in particular are in desparate need of new express buses, as is Yukon and Charleston. You can add Queens Village to the mix as well and then Meredith, so basically all of them... lol

The Bronx & Queens depots uses them quite heavily. The only MTA Bus Depots that uses them the least is JFK, Far Rockaway & Spring Creek.

The Bronx & Queens depots uses them quite heavily. The only MTA Bus Depots that uses them the least is JFK, Far Rockaway & Spring Creek.

That's true to an extent. The Bronx routes, most of them aren't that far in terms of distance, and the depots are smaller so they have more time to tend to those buses better. As for Queens, I would agree, but again smaller depots that generally can attend to them better, thus they last longer, or at least they should last longer.

this kinda explains why some of the buses that have been coming back from the 8 year program have been "incomplete", but all the more reason to have a separate CMF for MTAB

I don't think they need a separate CMF for MTA Bus because the two divisions swap buses way too much for that. What they need to do is add a 4th facility into the mix. Jamaica depot version 2.0 would be a great candidate. Until then, I would make College Point CMF for CNG's.

I don't think they need a separate CMF for MTA Bus because the two divisions swap buses way too much for that. What they need to do is add a 4th facility into the mix. Jamaica depot version 2.0 would be a great candidate. Until then, I would make College Point CMF for CNG's.

you would make College Point a CMF for CNG's with all the issues their maintenance department has been having? There's a huge vacant lot that goes from 38th and 1st to 41st and 1st that would be perfect for a multi floor CMF/Depot/CRS Hub like grand ave or ENY (if they don't want to rebuild on 126th st). Even though its mid town manhattan, its still manhattan. this would be a lot easier for buses from all boroughs to get to.

That's true to an extent. The Bronx routes, most of them aren't that far in terms of distance, and the depots are smaller so they have more time to tend to those buses better. As for Queens, I would agree, but again smaller depots that generally can attend to them better, thus they last longer, or at least they should last longer.

College Point & Eastchester are not "small depots". College Point is almost as huge as Charleston and Eastchester is one big complex in itself. The smallest one out of the 3 major depots is Yonkers. JFK and Far Rockaway are moderately big but their MCIs are 50/50.

Yukon and Castleton are smaller than College Point and Eastchester and they can't even take care of any of their MCIs. The farthest route is somewhat tied to the BxM3 and BxM7 in The Bronx and for Queens, tied between the QM6 and QM2/2A and those routes go almost as far as the S.I routes.

To add onto this, the only reasons MTA Bus was given brand new MCIs was because they had an express fleet that was

1. Much older than NYCT's fleet

2. Not ADA accessible.

you would make College Point a CMF for CNG's with all the issues their maintenance department has been having? There's a huge vacant lot that goes from 38th and 1st to 41st and 1st that would be perfect for a multi floor CMF/Depot/CRS Hub like grand ave or ENY (if they don't want to rebuild on 126th st). Even though its mid town manhattan, its still manhattan. this would be a lot easier for buses from all boroughs to get to.

Lol! I have a gut feeling you would say that. The only reason I say College Point, is because of it's location. The thing is maintenance would definitely need to be overhauled, and and increase in staff would also be a necessity. CP's maintenance team wasn't all that bad until the TA started sending people to ENY. Since then, things have gone down hill. Before the formation of RBO, CP was home to MTA Bus Co. HQ.

CP will soon be rehabbed, and will have an area for parts storage and distribution. There is still hope for CP.

That lot on 1st would be a great location, but I'm thinking in terms of costs too. So that's why I say the new Jamaica Depot should be the newest CMF once it's up and running. That would be the most cost effective option IMHO.

EDIT: You know what, Eastchester would make an excellent candidate for CMF. They already have a stellar maintenance team, and they definitely know how to maintain some buses!

Lol! I have a gut feeling you would say that. The only reason I say College Point, is because of it's location. The thing is maintenance would definitely need to be overhauled, and and increase in staff would also be a necessity. CP's maintenance team wasn't all that bad until the TA started sending people to ENY. Since then, things have gone down hill. Before the formation of RBO, CP was home to MTA Bus Co. HQ.

CP will soon be rehabbed, and will have an area for parts storage and distribution. There is still hope for CP.

That lot on 1st would be a great location, but I'm thinking in terms of costs too. So that's why I say the new Jamaica Depot should be the newest CMF once it's up and running. That would be the most cost effective option IMHO.

EDIT: You know what, Eastchester would make an excellent candidate for CMF. They already have a stellar maintenance team, and they definitely know how to maintain some buses!

Eastchester was the first place i thought of when i started thinking of a location for a fourth CMF. but than i though, where would they keep all the buses that are on the chopping block?? And as far as Jamaica is concerned, it would be a good choice for a CMF if it were just a dedicated CMF. Even though it will most likely be a multi floor building, with the lot it currently sits on i dont think it could fit both a full time depot and CMF in the same building.

So any guesses as to which buses these will be, or what depot they will come from? I can't get the PDF open, so I apologize if it says which buses it will be in there.

I would say I hope CP's get overhauled since those are the one's I use, and the lack of good maintenance in CP is taking. It's toll on those buses, but. They honestly are in good enough shape to not need it.

Plus, id rather get some of those new MCI's that should be coming in the near future. Any update on when those are coming?

College Point & Eastchester are not "small depots". College Point is almost as huge as Charleston and Eastchester is one big complex in itself. The smallest one out of the 3 major depots is Yonkers. JFK and Far Rockaway are moderately big but their MCIs are 50/50.

Yukon and Castleton are smaller than College Point and Eastchester and they can't even take care of any of their MCIs. The farthest route is somewhat tied to the BxM3 and BxM7 in The Bronx and for Queens, tied between the QM6 and QM2/2A and those routes go almost as far as the S.I routes.

To add onto this, the only reasons MTA Bus was given brand new MCIs was because they had an express fleet that was

1. Much older than NYCT's fleet

2. Not ADA accessible.

I agree with your statment, ECH and CP are the two biggest depots when it comes to terms for express and also the lines is as much busy as NYCT express bus sevice. For a example the BxM7 i think should be 24/7 or at least have a 2 15am depature. And also the BxM9 gets busy also and they both long distance. BUT out of the express depots in MTA BUS ECH and CP gets it in and have long lines such as the SI depots U DIIGGGG. LOL. Oh also im hearing the yonkers might be closing down so if that do happen yonkers will be coming to ECH to make it a super express depot for the Bronx. remember its a rumor that i heard from a couple of drivers not only from ECH but also YONKERS B/Os:tup:

i find it odd and kinda offensive that the mta would go to an outside company for work that is perfectly capable of being done inhouse. Unless they are backed up beyond the capabilities of grand ave and zerega, this really shouldn't be allowed to happen. This just reinforces the rumor that i heard a year ago about the mta wanting a separate cmf for mtab...i wonder what the union will have to say about this...

what union

Archived