Sixty Year Old man goes to Tracks to get Cell Phone gets Killed

RTOMan

Yeah it's true. You don't always know when a train is coming. The 12-9's that happened on the (L) this year happened at the Halsey Street Station. As you know there is a turn before the (L) train would arrive on the Manhattan bound platform of Halsey Street. If you were standing on the tracks on the Manhattan bound side of Halsey Street on the (L) you will not see the train coming till after it makes that turn, and by then the train will only be several yards away. The T/O can't save you, the people on the platform won't be able to save you, and you won't be able to save yourself. The answer is you will die.

Also Melvin you are pretty lucky that you weren't killed by any train. There are turns and curves before any train enters West 4th Street. You could have had been killed if there was train that turned on time.

:sigh:

Common sense is becoming rare these days. You'd think after numerous news reports of other people going down to the tracks to pick up a phone/purse/wallet/coat and getting killed would send the message to others to maybe think before leaping?

I hate to say it, but society has become a lost cause. The real victims are the t/o's that have to see this sh*t first hand. I think they may as well have instruction classes to prepare all t/o's for an eventual 12-9, especially if it's a fatality [if not done so already].

{In before the talks of putting up platform doors to save us from ourselves.}

Of all the railfans in MTA land with cameras, it always amazed me how a 12-9 was never caught on video.

....on another note atleast he lived 60yrs.

There is a video of a 12 - 9 on Youtube, its a commuter rail system in Chicago though, and there's a video of a cow getting ran over by a train.

There is a video of a 12 - 9 on Youtube, its a commuter rail system in Chicago though, and there's a video of a cow getting ran over by a train.

Yea I once saw an amateur vid of a 12-9. Only this was on the NEC and it was an acela train. Idr what the link is but search up Acela Express tresspasser and you might find it.

Guest lance25
Did they change the signs to (C), and did it go to FR, RP, or Lefferts?

Did they change the signs to (A), and did it go to FR, RP, or Lefferts?

Does it really matter?

P.S. You misspelled "view" again in your signature.

i would never go on the roadbed on or off duty for a customer's or even my own belongings w/o flagging or a flagger #1....#2 the station agents have long claw devices for that, let them deal with it. I wouldnt put my job or life in jeoporady for material things:tup:

Do TA clerks have those retrievers like they keep in the announcers booth at Jamaica station? They look like two 10 foot long matchsticks hinged in the center...i've witnessed employees using them a number of times.

Archived