Dear mta, since we know you read the forums: S83 fall pick 2011

SIR North Shore

I remember the MTA had the S59 serving CSI in its destination sign codes but those were taken out. The S59 would have operated along it's current route from Port Richmond, then at Victory Boulevard it would turn and then loop through CSI, and then go back on Victory Boulevard and back onto Richmond Avenue to Eltingville or Tottenville...and vice versa for service from Tottenville/Eltingville to Port Richmond.

I would honestly rather have the S59 loop through CSI and riders who want service down Richmond Avenue take the S44 to the S79 as those buses are more frequent than the S59.

I remember the MTA had the S59 serving CSI in its destination sign codes but those were taken out. The S59 would have operated along it's current route from Port Richmond, then at Victory Boulevard it would turn and then loop through CSI, and then go back on Victory Boulevard and back onto Richmond Avenue to Eltingville or Tottenville...and vice versa for service from Tottenville/Eltingville to Port Richmond.

I would honestly rather have the S59 loop through CSI and riders who want service down Richmond Avenue take the S44 to the S79 as those buses are more frequent than the S59.

But that still doesn't address the issue of there being no east-west service between Victory Blvd and Forest Avenue. Plus, I'm sure there are students who take classes at CSI who would benefit from the one-seat ride (I know of two students myself, and judging by the decent number of riders transferring to the northbound S44/S59/S89, I'm sure there are plenty of others)

In addition, it might take some of the strain from the S48/S98 at Forest Avenue/Richmond Avenue (riders going to Arlington can transfer to the S93 instead)

I agree, but I'm not sure they'll go for it. I'll give it some thought tonight as I prepare my drafts. Remember I'm trying to squeeze three topics into 2 minutes of speech... I may have to ditch the S48 idea.... :P I think I had that idea in mind too originally, but I can forsee too much overcrowding on the local buses over in Arrochar. McLean Ave does get a decent load there, as does Lily Pond Ave, so they would also benefit from the limited stops there.

You better hope you don't get ran off! Talking about non-agenda items is frowned upon.

You better hope you don't get ran off! Talking about non-agenda items is frowned upon.

When I went to the board meeting, everybody was talking about the station agents being laid off, and I doubt that it was on the agenda.

If we can't mention these things at board meetings, when are we supposed to mention them? We can't wait for the next public hearing for service reductions.

Perhaps, but when are we supposed to be able to suggest our ideas? I'm not one of those wild types that would go up there with all sorts of suggestions. This will be the first time ever that I'll be going to one of these events and in fact the last hearing was the first ever hearing I went to as well. I feel the need to become more involved because I see things happening in the system as a passenger that really irks me.

While I'm no expert, this was well thought out and is based on my personal experiences commuting on the line and certainly could be implemented, having a minimal cost impact and greatly improving passengers commutes. They're supposed to be serving the interests of the communities here in NYC and if we have to run out of the room because they're not pleased with what we have to say then I think that's pretty pathetic seeing that our tax dollars are being used for the service and we're the ones using it every day. Quite frankly I'm surprised more people don't take interest in transit issues. Me personally, if I can find any way to improve my commute I'm all for it. We spend hours upon hours commuting to and from our destinations every day and it's an extremely important part of our lives.

It impacts the time that we get to or don't get to spend with our families and so on. Perhaps my interest became stronger in transit when I moved to Staten Island from Brooklyn. I just couldn't believe that the frequencies were so poor coming from Brooklyn. Staten Island is a great place to live, but the main down part is the transportation. The borough will never be able to draw young folks like myself from Brooklyn or Manhattan if transportation doesn't improve here and my goal was to understand why Staten Island was so poorly served.

Now that I've been living here off and on since about 1999, I have a good understanding of why and what the borough needs and feel as if with some might a few improvements can actually be implemented. With the borough steadily expanding in terms of population growth the (MTA) needs to be exploring new ideas that can be implemented with little or no cost before they have an out of control situation that will cost them double in terms of funds to deal with because of their lack of creativity.

I will soon have to start riding the S53 again, and it's only gotten slower over the years. Please add a S53 limited (s83) for the Fall 2011 Pick! :(

You should know by now that such things need lots of lead time. If you didn't see it in the June or July MTA Board materials, it won't happen for the Fall pick.

So, I spoke before their public meeting today... I actually spoke right before checkmate did and they gave me the floor to speak about overcrowding on the X1, X10 and X17 late at night during the week and on the weekends and allowed me to propose my cost neutral idea as to how to resolve the problem.

I also had the opportunity to direct my ideas at Alan Cappelli who is a Staten Island resident, which included the proposal to give the S53 its own dedicated limited stop service in the S83.

I could be wrong, but they seemed rather interested in my two ideas as to how to improve services on the three express bus routes with the highest ridership in the system (which I was acute to point out), along with my limited stop proposal for the S53, so I wouldn't be surprised to see something happen. I noted that the S93 is its own indepedent line and also noted how the agency has pushed for Select Bus Service on the S79, but has suggested nothing for the S53, which currently has the highest ridership of any of the local buses on Staten Island.

It didn't seem like they were frowning upon anyone who spoke either, as there was one guy who came up there and was quite ridiculous, giving the board members compliments about how they were dressed and then concluded and sat down. :o

So, I spoke before their public meeting today... I actually spoke right before checkmate did and they gave me the floor to speak about overcrowding on the X1, X10 and X17 late at night during the week and on the weekends and allowed me to propose my cost neutral idea as to how to resolve the problem.

I also had the opportunity to direct my ideas at Alan Cappelli who is a Staten Island resident, which included the proposal to give the S53 its own dedicated limited stop service in the S83.

I could be wrong, but they seemed rather interested in my two ideas as to how to improve services on the three express bus routes with the highest ridership in the system (which I was acute to point out), along with my limited stop proposal for the S53, so I wouldn't be surprised to see something happen. I noted that the S93 is its own indepedent line and also noted how the agency has pushed for Select Bus Service on the S79, but has suggested nothing for the S53, which currently has the highest ridership of any of the local buses on Staten Island.

It didn't seem like they were frowning upon anyone who spoke either, as there was one guy who came up there and was quite ridiculous, giving the board members compliments about how they were dressed and then concluded and sat down. :o

You forgot the reverse-peak limited-stop service proposal, though. :(

You could've did what I did and talked a little faster, so you could've squeezed that idea in.

I don't think any of the people were really on-topic. I don't remember anything about women and minorities being on the agenda either. :eek:

You forgot the reverse-peak limited-stop service proposal, though. :o

You could've did what I did and talked a little faster, so you could've squeezed that idea in.

I don't think any of the people were really on-topic. I don't remember anything about women and minorities being on the agenda either. :eek:

I didn't forget it. I left it out on purpose because in preparing last night I didn't think I'd have enough time when practicing and I also didn't want to discuss a ton of things at once because I felt like they would railroad me like they did to you at the end and basically I can tell at that point that they shut down and just tune you out. I wanted them to actually remember my ideas and hear them out fully, both the problem and how it could be resolved so that they could consider them, which I think they did. While I heard your idea, I had a hard time following because you were going so fast and trying to propose too many things at once. lol That's why they asked you to wrap it up. I think they allowed me to speak a bit longer because my ideas were a bit more thought out and clearer than yours.

I think that whole agenda crappola is just that. They try to be respectful and hear everyone out so that whole staying on topic is just a smokescreen. I'm curious though... How long did you stay there? I was thinking of staying, but I had already e-mailed my boss and told her that I was coming in at 10:00, which is my regular time, but would be a few minutes late since I was down the street from the office.

I was surprised though... You're not that short and skinny I was thiking you would be. lol I felt weird sort of bending down into the microphone like that, but I wanted make sure that they could hear me. Now that I know the set up I'll be able to elaborate on some of my ideas next time since they already have a timer there at the podium.

P.S. I saw Gene Russianoff there, but I was curious about that other lady that talked about decrepit stations and folks joining their campaign for better mass transit. Do you remember the name of it?? I want to look into a bit.

I didn't forget it. I left it out on purpose because in preparing last night I didn't think I'd have enough time when practicing and I also didn't want to discuss a ton of things at once because I felt like they would railroad me like they did to you at the end and basically I can tell at that point that they shut down and just tune you out. I wanted them to actually remember my ideas and hear them out fully, both the problem and how it could be resolved so that they could consider them, which I think they did. While I heard your idea, I had a hard time following because you were going so fast and trying to propose too many things at once. lol That's why they asked you to wrap it up. I think they allowed me to speak a bit longer because my ideas were a bit more thought out and clearer than yours.

I think that whole agenda crappola is just that. They try to be respectful and hear everyone out so that whole staying on topic is just a smokescreen. I'm curious though... How long did you stay there? I was thinking of staying, but I had already e-mailed my boss and told her that I was coming in at 10:00, which is my regular time, but would be a few minutes late since I was down the street from the office.

I was surprised though... You're not that short and skinny I was thiking you would be. lol I felt weird sort of bending down into the microphone like that, but I wanted make sure that they could hear me. Now that I know the set up I'll be able to elaborate on some of my ideas next time since they already have a timer there at the podium.

P.S. I saw Gene Russianoff there, but I was curious about that other lady that talked about decrepit stations and folks joining their campaign for better mass transit. Do you remember the name of it?? I want to look into a bit.

The only two ideas I mentioned was the extension and the Saturday service. The reason why I went on so long was because I was explaining all of the reasons (direct service from Arlington to CSI, fills in gap in east-west service, etc)

I think the woman's campaign was the Rider Rebellion or something like that.

By the way, I left right after you. In fact, I saw the elevator door close just as I was coming out of the room (I just went back to get my stuff).

You could've held the door for me. You added a whopping 1 minute to my travel time. :o

The only two ideas I mentioned was the extension and the Saturday service. The reason why I went on so long was because I was explaining all of the reasons (direct service from Arlington to CSI, fills in gap in east-west service, etc)

I think the woman's campaign was the Rider Rebellion or something like that.

By the way, I left right after you. In fact, I saw the elevator door close just as I was coming out of the room (I just went back to get my stuff).

You could've held the door for me. You added a whopping 1 minute to my travel time. :o

I was waiting around thinking you were coming out!! I thought you were going back in to listen to the hearing, so that's why I left. You should've told me that you were going in to get your things. :(

I was waiting around thinking you were coming out!! I thought you were going back in to listen to the hearing, so that's why I left. You should've told me that you were going in to get your things. :o

Sorry about that. I figured you would be in a hurry to get back to work and I didn't want to hold you up.

I thought I was going to listen to more of the hearing, but then I realized it was 10:00, and I had to get back to Cooper Union, so I just left.

Man, I need more sleep. If I miss any sleep, I just don't think straight. :( I looked at the clock before I started my speech and should've realized I would've had to go.

By the way, do you plan on going back some time to check back to see what they're doing with your ideas (if they're looking into which runs could be rescheduled). I think I'll go back sometime next week and ask about it.

Sorry about that. I figured you would be in a hurry to get back to work and I didn't want to hold you up.

I thought I was going to listen to more of the hearing, but then I realized it was 10:00, and I had to get back to Cooper Union, so I just left.

Man, I need more sleep. If I miss any sleep, I just don't think straight. :o I looked at the clock before I started my speech and should've realized I would've had to go.

By the way, do you plan on going back some time to check back to see what they're doing with your ideas (if they're looking into which runs could be rescheduled). I think I'll go back sometime next week and ask about it.

Uh huh, I certainly will be. I think it's better to feed them a few ideas at once.

Had I known that they were going to start at 09:30, I could've just gotten on my normal X30. I ran out almost 40 minutes earlier for nothing and had to be on a sardine bus at that. :(

Hope something is done. The (S53)needs it's own 'sister' route limited stop service at least Monday-Saturday asap. While the (S93)should run all day Monday-Friday in both directions.

The (S79)limited could also be created starting as least a peak hour service soon after. With that top need right now is expanded limited stop (S53) service asap.

Sounds you did well guys Garibaldi and Checkmate with speaking to the board with your proposals.:tup:

Hope something is done. The (S53)needs it's own 'sister' route limited stop service at least Monday-Saturday asap. While the (S93)should run all day Monday-Friday in both directions.

The (S79)limited could also be created starting as least a peak hour service soon after. With that top need right now is expanded limited stop (S53) service asap.

Sounds you did well guys Garibaldi and Checkmate with speaking to the board with your proposals.:tup:

I think my two proposals would go easier with them. They don't seem like they're in the mood for extending anything. Basically all they would have to do is turn some of the S53s into S83. I even picked out the stops already. For the extension of express bus service on the X1, X10 and X17 later at night that would just involve looking at a few buses to pull and then reassigning those buses to run later. Of course it's a bit more complicated than this, but the routes are already running and no extensions are involved. More like minor tweaks to service.

Uh huh, I certainly will be. I think it's better to feed them a few ideas at once.

Had I known that they were going to start at 09:30, I could've just gotten on my normal X30. I ran out almost 40 minutes earlier for nothing and had to be on a sardine bus at that. ;)

I'm not sure if they were holding the registration after 09:30. They said registration starts 30 minutes before the meeting, so it might end at 09:30, even if the meeting started 15 minutes late.

The S79 I would just make into an all-limited route, and have an S79A local serve Giffords Lane, but that's for another meeting.

I think my two proposals would go easier with them. They don't seem like they're in the mood for extending anything. Basically all they would have to do is turn some of the S53s into S83. I even picked out the stops already. For the extension of express bus service on the X1, X10 and X17 later at night that would just involve looking at a few buses to pull and then reassigning those buses to run later. Of course it's a bit more complicated than this, but the routes are already running and no extensions are involved. More like minor tweaks to service.

It might cost a little more than that, since you would need a few more buses in order to maintain the same frequency. However, the faster service should bring in extra revenue, which as BrooklynBus says, they rarely seem to consider.

It might cost a little more than that, since you would need a few more buses in order to maintain the same frequency. However, the faster service should bring in extra revenue, which as BrooklynBus says, they rarely seem to consider.

You're right, but I wanted to pitch the S53 idea as cost neutral anyway to give it some sort of chance of being considered. lol Quite frankly they need to increase the frequencies during certain times of morning, particularly from 08:30 until 09:00. They could afford to add a bus or two more so that the 08:38, 08:48 and 08:58 buses aren't so crushloaded. What they don't seem to realize is that a lot more Staten Islanders are traveling after 08:00 in the morning, and they've been trying to skimp on service after 08:30 in particular where ridership is increasing on most routes.

You're right, but I wanted to pitch the S53 idea as cost neutral anyway to give it some sort of chance of being considered. lol Quite frankly they need to increase the frequencies during certain times of morning, particularly from 08:30 until 09:00. They could afford to add a bus or two more so that the 08:38, 08:48 and 08:58 buses aren't so crushloaded. What they don't seem to realize is that a lot more Staten Islanders are traveling after 08:00 in the morning, and they've been trying to skimp on service after 08:30 in particular where ridership is increasing on most routes.

It's close enough to cost-neutral (like I said, there is excess service on a few other corridors that could be reduced).

You're right that 10 minute service is too infrequent at that time. They should be running at least every 7-8 minutes.

In any case, it can't hurt to mention it as cost-neutral and then have them find out that it costs money: They might still decide to do it anyway and reduce service in another area (or they might figure that it will bring in additional revenue to offset the costs)

It's close enough to cost-neutral (like I said, there is excess service on a few other corridors that could be reduced).

You're right that 10 minute service is too infrequent at that time. They should be running at least every 7-8 minutes.

In any case, it can't hurt to mention it as cost-neutral and then have them find out that it costs money: They might still decide to do it anyway and reduce service in another area (or they might figure that it will bring in additional revenue to offset the costs)

Yeah, I guess I could but then again they're getting paid to do all of this while I'm volunteering my free time. Granted I could perhaps benefit from it, but I really don't use the S53 like that. Just a handful of times during the year, mainly when it is cooler out and I want to save on car service and am willing to put up with the short commute over to the X10, but I haven't used the S53 in months, as I can't deal with the local Staten Island buses during the summer.

Too many hooligans and too many stops. More people ride when it's nicer out meaning slower, hotter and more crowded local buses, so I just stick with car service so I can avoid the aggravation and get to my express bus fast. But I think I would be more willing to use it on the weekends at least going to the X10 or X1 when it is cooler out if it had limited stop service.

Perhaps, but when are we supposed to be able to suggest our ideas? I'm not one of those wild types that would go up there with all sorts of suggestions. This will be the first time ever that I'll be going to one of these events and in fact the last hearing was the first ever hearing I went to as well. I feel the need to become more involved because I see things happening in the system as a passenger that really irks me.

While I'm no expert, this was well thought out and is based on my personal experiences commuting on the line and certainly could be implemented, having a minimal cost impact and greatly improving passengers commutes. They're supposed to be serving the interests of the communities here in NYC and if we have to run out of the room because they're not pleased with what we have to say then I think that's pretty pathetic seeing that our tax dollars are being used for the service and we're the ones using it every day. Quite frankly I'm surprised more people don't take interest in transit issues. Me personally, if I can find any way to improve my commute I'm all for it. We spend hours upon hours commuting to and from our destinations every day and it's an extremely important part of our lives.

It impacts the time that we get to or don't get to spend with our families and so on. Perhaps my interest became stronger in transit when I moved to Staten Island from Brooklyn. I just couldn't believe that the frequencies were so poor coming from Brooklyn. Staten Island is a great place to live, but the main down part is the transportation. The borough will never be able to draw young folks like myself from Brooklyn or Manhattan if transportation doesn't improve here and my goal was to understand why Staten Island was so poorly served.

Now that I've been living here off and on since about 1999, I have a good understanding of why and what the borough needs and feel as if with some might a few improvements can actually be implemented. With the borough steadily expanding in terms of population growth the (MTA) needs to be exploring new ideas that can be implemented with little or no cost before they have an out of control situation that will cost them double in terms of funds to deal with because of their lack of creativity.

BINGO! Lack of creativity is right:tup:

Yeah, I guess I could but then again they're getting paid to do all of this while I'm volunteering my free time. Granted I could perhaps benefit from it, but I really don't use the S53 like that. Just a handful of times during the year, mainly when it is cooler out and I want to save on car service and am willing to put up with the short commute over to the X10, but I haven't used the S53 in months, as I can't deal with the local Staten Island buses during the summer.

Too many hooligans and too many stops. More people ride when it's nicer out meaning slower, hotter and more crowded local buses, so I just stick with car service so I can avoid the aggravation and get to my express bus fast. But I think I would be more willing to use it on the weekends at least going to the X10 or X1 when it is cooler out if it had limited stop service.

I know that, but I'm just mentioning that it was a good idea to mention it as cost-neutral so they are more attracted to the idea.

It didn't seem like they were frowning upon anyone who spoke either, as there was one guy who came up there and was quite ridiculous, giving the board members compliments about how they were dressed and then concluded and sat down. :P

Well, I must say good for you then. Much better plan the sitting on your bum doing nothing like most people would. I don't think a LTD version of the S53 ia a bad idea at all.

Well, I must say good for you then. Much better plan the sitting on your bum doing nothing like most people would. I don't think a LTD version of the S53 ia a bad idea at all.

Yeah I really hope it really out even though I don't use the S53 a lot. It would be nice to know that I had it near me if I needed it for some reason.

Archived