How can i get a job in the transit agencies, Amtrak, MTA, etc?

goten2255

hello everybody in here i am goten2255 its nice to meet you all i want to ask all of you something i have been curious of the idea of being able to work with the transit agencies like Amtrak, MTA, etc.

i am currently living in Miami Florida and is attending college, right now my major is teaching as to be a high school teacher but i am finding it difficult and the fact it scaries me that i have to be confined to a classroom all day so in turn i am switching my major also i am currently 24 years old.

i always been facsantied of Mass Transit and i deeply support Mass Transit projects that are happening now and planned out to help the region, environment, people, freight, etc i love the environment as well and the fact using Mass Transit helps the environment makes me happier being able to live in this beautiful earth.

i know this is more general to what i am saying but i been thinking maybe working for companies like Amtrak, MTA, etc can help me expand my knowledge and horizons it can help me explore around the world one day, having postive feelings and thoughts.

i am deeply sorry to say all this i just want to know what are the requirements for me to work with you guys and girls? i have experience with customer service, i can memorize alot of things even if it takes me time i can learn, i can also help out being able to work in teams or by myself and more stuffs since i am about to go to work soon, anyways all i am asking is there specific things i need? i can do another post to tell you guys what i have if you want?

i am sorry about that please forgive me its just i need help in deciding what career am i going to be in.

right now i work as a cashier in retail and i am in school as my current major is being a teacher but since i don't want to be in teaching anymore i want something that will benefit to me something that will give me more experience in the world then being in a classroom all day.

i am sorry if my pervious post is long i just want someone to help me what can i do to enter the railway business what is the requirements is it possible for me to do it, i am willing to relocate if i can.

so is that why nobody has posted ever since this morning i am sorry but what am i going to do to start a new thread or what can i do?

exactly teaching is not the right career for me its why i have come here i want to know what is the requirements for me to be with the MTA, Amtrak and such.

what do i need college, high school diploma??? plus i said before i am not heading to be a teacher anymore i am looking for something else and since i like trains, buses, and such maybe this would be the place where my career would be at?

It would be nice if someone just answered the guys question instead of being a prick about how someone types. This is the internet, no one cares how they type.

Anyways if you want a job in transit with the MTA, you would have to take a Civil Service Exam and the wait for those things after the test can be 2+ years. If you want to move into the NYC area there are alot of bus companies where all you need is a CDL Permit and you can get a job. I been to Florida once and I did notice a transit agency down there, but if your looking to move up this end you would have alot more options at becoming a bus driver. PATH has engineers/train operators but I never see anything on how to get a job as one with them. Becoming a engineer with NJT/LIRR/Metro-North/Amtrak, they very rarely hire engineers off the street and you would need to already have a railroad certification before hand to get in off the street. They really only promote guys that work as conductors already, they are usually the ones that move up to that.

You can go on the Amtrak website and go to the careers section and fill out an app and setup a profile.

The general rule of thumb is you need a HS Dip/GED for any transit job.

Working in a transit agency they dont like know it alls and you must not let it been known that your a transit buff when your in the training process. Alot of people that love trains/buses that work in transit fall out of love with it quickly because it becomes a job. But you can make alot of money!

Hope this helps.

It would be nice if someone just answered the guys question instead of being a prick about how someone types. This is the internet, no one cares how they type..

I couldn't have said it better.

553 Bridgeton's post - definitely agreed. However, I do believe one can find themselves an intern admission to learning the things the OP is looking to do; unless he's looking to actually operate a bus or train.

As for goten2255; good luck with your career change, guy. If you believe teaching isn't the career for you, then by all you means -- you have the right to look into change.

Again, good luck. :-)

thank you guys and girls i am becoming much more optimistic of my future.

the reason i want to get into this industry is mutlple reasons i like Mass Transit i believe we should have alternatives to get around better, safer and much more postive.Two i want to be able to have a career i feel happy of doing and that it will make me a postive person. Three i want to be able to help my family to help them be better and happier.

Four it helps the environment become better using Mass Transit is one of the keys to help save the environment and using green energy i support alot i want to help make the environment safer, beautiful, and cleaner.

so on to the topic so i have to take an exam no biggie i can do that alot of jobs nowadays exams are required in many careers so yeah i think of becoming a bus driver, conductor and such will do me wonders.

i also have a high school diploma so is that ok and like i said i have experience in retail, and customer service mostly in retail. Sure its not an easy road but hey nothing is easy in life.

i want to ask a couple of questions though will the MTA and Amtrak cover training, benefits, and all those stuffs?

I cant speak for Amtrak but the MTA covers all of that.

Here is the Civil Service website for NYC. http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/html/home/home.shtml

You can find when exams are being offered. But just to let you know there are currently no exams in the MTA for Train Operators & Bus Operators. Having a CDL you can make alot of money and will do wonders . Idk how the bus companies down there work and how badly they need drivers, but up here you can find a job quick since companies want new people with clean CDLs.

Here is Academy Bus, which has various garages located in NJ. http://www.academybus.com/AboutUs/CareerOpportunities.aspx

Here is NJ Transit. Currently a bunch of New drivers just got hired. Fill out the app mail it in.

http://www.njtransit.com/tm/tm_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=CareersTo

Here is Peter Pan/Bonanza.

http://www.peterpanbus.com/about-peter-pan/employment-opportunities/

Here is Greyhound/Bolt Bus.

http://www.greyhound.com/en/drivingcareers.aspx

Im not going to bother posting CoachUSA/MegaBUS since the pay is crap, although I heard MegaBUS starts off at $19/hr?

What is it with teachers (or aspiring teachers, in this case) and poor grammar & spelling....

Some of you might know what I'm getting at....

Anyway, the teaching profession in general has a HIGH turnover rate; high risk, low reward.... it's one of those professions you have to be deeply involved, and possess a sincere & genuine interest in... No one chooses to be a teacher to rake in the dough (money).... I don't blame you for wanting to pull out of that...

You strike me as an environmentalist...

That said, you may be better off working for a bus manufacturing company.....

Anyway, you have to be a little more specific....

What facet of a transit company are you seeking to work within?

The minimum educational requirements for Metro North to hire you for a craft position is either a high school diploma or GED. Management positions require a college degree.

For the craft jobs, each craft will require different qualifications. Example, based on the current posting of conductor, external applicants must have a minimum of two years experience in customer service and/or cash handling. For different positions, there will be different requirements.

Metro North jobs can be viewed by visiting www.mta.info and clicking employment.

Once a job offer is extended and start date is set, you get paid for all training it gets done in house.

Example, based on the current posting of conductor, external applicants must have a minimum of two years experience in customer service and/or cash handling.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloads/pdf/noes/200808094000.pdf

That's the notice of examination for conductor. It doesn't state anything about customer service and cash handling experience. Where did you get that information from?

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloads/pdf/noes/200808094000.pdf

That's the notice of examination for conductor. It doesn't state anything about customer service and cash handling experience. Where did you get that information from?

That link you posted for C/R is for NYCTA not MNRR, which doesn't require any customer service/cash handling experience. C/R for MNRR and C/R for NYCTA perform slightly different task.

Archived