Subway heat solution?

8thAveExpress

There are probably a million reasons why this is a bad idea, but I can only think of why this is a great idea...

Instead of having people stand in the tunnels when it's 120 degrees, why not just make the trains go local, and on the express track, leave a stationary train for people to wait in until the next train comes?

Sure, it might cost a little bit of money, but it's only for a few days, when the weather is brutal, and it's better than having people faint onto the tracks...

Don't bash me too hard! I thought it was a great idea...

So give people a place to wait for 3 minutes while making their commute 15 minutes longer by eliminating express service? No.

There were several times in the past few days I had to wait 10+ minutes. I don't mean to have this set up during rush hour, either.

So for a few days, the D train will make a few extra stops. I'm willing to leave my house a few minutes early so I don't have to wait 10+ minutes in 120 degree heat with dead air, and I'm sure many other people would agree...

It's a tough call for New York system, since it wasn't built with high temperatures in mind.

As everyone knows, the main reason for the heat build up is the lack of ventilation and heavy AC's in the trains. Being few feet below the ground does not help either, since the ground layer between street and the station is relatively thin, it does not offer enogh protection from sunrays, which also contribute to the heat level inside the station. It would help a lot if stations were connected using tubes, which would allow for air circulation, but being connected with a trench and steel beams, the air current would dissipate, not reaching anyone.

The problem is big, and I just don't see the adequate solution,

which wouldn't be extremely expensive or impossible to achieve. Is there any?

I just thought of a funny idea.Maybe somehow get a few cars ( that you drive on the street) and bring them down so people can wait in them.Dont know how how you would get them down there but...

A "cooling train" would infact make the station hotter, becuase the heat from the train would be dumped into the surrounding air... in the station.

The movement of trains is what circulates the air in the tunnels for the most part, so you leaving them with staler air

You've basicly gone and made it worse.

But its not really a problem since everyone can get on the "cooling train".

They've managed to outfit Grand Central with air conditioning, now it doesn't feel like pure a/c in the sense that its nice and comfy low 70s, but its far from the days when it was in the upper 90s at platform level.

They put fans in the grand central (7), but it blows hot air.

They put fans in the grand central (7), but it blows hot air.

Same thing with Union Sq on the Lex, both have been there for awhile, I'm actually talking about a/c as in compressors/condensers being used. It was a big thing when they unveiled it at GC years ago after the station plat always ranked in the top 5 for hottest stations in a heat wave during rush hour. It doesn't work as well as a regular room a/c or central air of course, but it did drop the station well out of the top 5, and it feels nice if u can snag a spot under the vents. About how well they are maintained, I have no clue I haven't been on foot in the station in awhile.

Lordy lordy. The minute someone brings up Air Conditioning stations, I wait for someone to say "platform screen doors!!!"

Exactly!!! Without PSD's the cooler air will escape into the tunnels and possibly above ground. With PSD's, AC's will actually cool the riders and reduce the chance of a 12-9.

I know that the MTA always says that air conditioning the tunnels is impossible, but how about forced-air ventilation? Is that impossible to retrofit?
that would coast alot of money and a long time of construction, people would hate it all even if its helpful. i would like that but its not something people would do here. i think a area where you can stand like the railway do like abba said its a good idea it wont coast too much and less time too construct

I think I got a good idea :

Air Conditioned Waiting Rooms

Air conditioned waiting rooms or ACWR are waiting rooms that have glass windows and a glass door with A/C and countdown clocks installed. The rooms are cool and A/C are turned on during hot days and all summer. You cool yourself off in them, and when you train is approaching the station, you come out and board the train. There should be 5 ACWR's in big stations and 2 ACWR's in smaller stations..

Archived