Coney Island and Brighton Beach enjoying an economic boom

Shortline Bus

Coney Island and Brighton Beach enjoying an economic boom

BY Edwin D. Rios and Katie Nelson

DAILY NEWS WRITERS

Tuesday, July 26th 2011

"As other parts of the city still struggle, Coney Island and Brighton Beach are booming.

The areas' 111,063 residents are benefiting from an uptick in jobs, salaries and housing, says a new report released today by the state controller's office.

Private-sector jobs shot up in the two Brooklyn neighborhoods. During 2010, the area added 27,530 jobs in sectors like transportation, education, retail and health care, a 7.1% gain. Meanwhile, New York City overall only had 0.9% job growth.

The number of businesses also grew. "From 2000 to 2008, the number of businesses in Coney Island and Brighton Beach grew by 21.4%, far faster than the rest of the city," which saw a 5.5% increase, the report from Controller Thomas DiNapoli said.

Wages went up even faster in this part of southern Brooklyn, shooting up nearly 60% between 2000 and 2010 while they rose 41% in the rest of Brooklyn, according to the report.

Even housing seemed to do better than in the rest of the city. Coney and Brighton had 49,350 housing units in 2008, up 2,380 units since 2002, the report said - a 5.2% increase as compared with 3.6% citywide.

Residents in the two neighborhoods, who are often immigrants from Russia and Ukraine, tend to stay in the area.

The job growth - and the beach view from her apartment - has kept Jamila Sanchez, 34, in Coney Island, she said.

She just got a job two months ago as a medical assistant at Coney Island Hospital, with a pay bump from her previous gig working at a supermarket deli.

"They are looking for a lot of people for medical assistants and nurses," said Sanchez.

"Although the country in general is in bad shape, Coney Island is on a growth curve," agreed **** Zigun, the unofficial "mayor" of the neighborhood.

"I constantly see cement trucks and workers in hardhats, which means they're working and building, and new businesses are opening," he said."

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/brooklyn/2011/07/26/2011-07-26_economic_boom_boosting_coney__brighton.html

True. Can we say the next stop for 'hipsters' and other young college grads and professional is 'gentrification' for CI and Brighton?:eek:

It would be nice, but we're years away from that. I haven't been down there in a while since they cut the X28 on the weekends :(. I will say that those projects along Surf Ave should be torn down and replaced with condos and such. A real eyesore. That would pick up the area right there and then they could have more demand for the X28 and X38 down there. :cool:

It would be nice, but we're years away from that. I haven't been down there in a while since they cut the X28 on the weekends :(. I will say that those projects along Surf Ave should be torn down and replaced with condos and such. A real eyesore. That would pick up the area right there and then they could have more demand for the X28 and X38 down there. :cool:

call me when East New York, Brownsville, and Far Rockaway start gentrifying, then I will be amazed. Brighton Beach is already semi-upscale, its home to a lot of Russian immigrants.

call me when East New York, Brownsville, and Far Rockaway start gentrifying, then I will be amazed. Brighton Beach is already semi-upscale, its home to a lot of Russian immigrants.

Exactly... Coney Island is also improving because the Russians are now moving into Coney Island as well, plus of course you have Sea Gate next door even though it isn't as crème de la crème, it is still a decent private gated community.

More propaganda to get ppl. to move to south brooklyn.... that's all this is....

They're building up out there to get ppl. to live out there, not work out there... lol...

Brighton beach & Coney Island are definitely not gentrifying.... hipsters won't set up shop in areas that are too far away from (or who's commutes would be too long to get to) a major business district...

"They are looking for a lot of people for medical assistants and nurses," said Sanchez.

Yeah, b/c that's all that's along Ocean parkway (from Brighton beach av, all the way up to Church av) - doctors operating out of their homes.... Let's not make like south brooklyn is this mecca of employment opportunities.... that's the problem I have w/ this article....

....and Sea Gate is a dump, you couldn't pay me to live out there....

Archived