Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
chrisliz09

The worst stations by borough

the MTA came out with a poll that said the bronx is the worst area in the city when it comes too the dirtiest stations. I want too know what area of the city do you think is the worst borough? j think the bronx is one area that has come back most of all the stations on the IRT lines are done over and they are doing alot over now, so aside from a few stations like 149th st and 205st on the IND line we have more new than old. what do you think?

Staten Island.

But seriously, I'd say it depends on the station at this point. Despite being next to each other, Bergen Street and Grand Army Plaza are in different leagues of cleanliness.

On Staten Island we have stations that are literally falling apart and communities have complained about it to their local leaders, as well as to the (MTA) who claims that they know that the stations are old and are working to get something in place. The problem is the stations are becoming so old that they are becoming hazards. Most of the stations won't have anything done to them for at least a few years.

Another area that has some of the worst stations is along the (N) line. It was right up there with the (Q) line in Brooklyn for having some of the worst stations. For some reason South Brooklyn has been havily neglected over the years, not only with decrepit train stations, but terrible transit service all around. Good job (MTA). Sheepshead Bay train station has also gone to sh*t. I remember when I lived over near Sheepshead Bay Rd when they first redid that station it was great. Now it looks like it could be redone again.

As for Manhattan obviously the Chambers St station on the (J)(Z) line is bad, but so is Union Square (just rank and filthy) and the Canal St station. I know Canal St was done a good 10 - 15 years ago, but I'd have it and Union Sq redone again. :eek:

so if that is true that SI is that bad why didnt they put them, and ive seen way worse stations in brooklyn the hole (3) line lavonia line is so bad stations have plants growing on them

I was thinking that Chambers St (BMT Jamaica) would pop up first.

Chambers St. is beautiful.

Brooklyn: Broadway on the (G)

Queens: 21st Street on the (G), Jamaica Center and Sutphin Boulevard on the (J)/(Z) are horrendous

Chambers St. is beautiful.

I love that station, hell I love the whole Eastern Div.

I love that station, hell I love the whole Eastern Div.

So much for being an IND foamer, hah.

Unless it's a sarcasm, what is so beautiful there?

It's practically untouched. It's as original as it's going to get.

It's practically untouched. It's as original as it's going to get.

Original or not, the station needs some work to be done. Otherwise soon even "original" will fall into oblivion.

Also adding Church Av (:((Q) to my list, gives me the creeps everytime I pass by the station.

So much for being an IND foamer, hah.

I'd rather have flying junctions, grade time and station time signals over the Broadway subway any day, but the Eastern Div. is unlike anything else in the system.

Original or not, the station needs some work to be done. Otherwise soon even "original" will fall into oblivion.

Also adding Church Av (:o(Q) to my list, gives me the creeps everytime I pass by the station.

I agree... That Church Ave station is an embarassment. I would never want to have to wait for a train there. The only time I've gotten off there was years ago when I lived back in Sheepshead Bay and was transferring to what was then the <Q> from the then (D) train.

Then I guess my idea of beautiful station differ from majority.

I'm not saying that your beloved Chambers St. is ugly, I'm just saying that there are better stations system wide, either they are newer (IND of late 80's) or better preserved, like City Hall. It's Just my opinion.

There is a very important issue when talking about this "problem". Just what is being looked at.

Is it "dirt, grime and garbage, and/or rodents".

Is it "an urgent need for station renovation" as in stopping the leaking water, refurbish or rebuild the tile walls, station platforms, make the station beautiful.

A subway station can be free of dirt and garbage, but plenty of folk can still say that the station is ugly. The architecture of the station seems OLD and to some eyes ugly - thus whatever problems exist get magnified.

A subway station can have dirt and garbage (in or about the bins), but because the tiles are new an shiny, the floors are waxed and polished and there is bright lighting - the architecture seems new. Such a station might not be seen as "having problems".

Even if there were daily cleanings of garbage, that would not by itself make many subway stations "beautiful".

Just keep that in mind.

Mike

Staten Island.

But seriously, I'd say it depends on the station at this point. Despite being next to each other, Bergen Street and Grand Army Plaza are in different leagues of cleanliness.

Bergen St is clean I went there last week.

My opinion

(A) Aqueduct.

(:o Concourse Line and 7 Ave.

(C) Lawyette.

(D) Concourse line and West End line.

(E) 7th Ave.

(F) Bergen St Lwr Lvl.

(G) Court Square.

(J) Chambers St, Bowery, Canal, Essex.

(L) about 3/4 of the Line.

(Mx) about 3/4 of line.

(M) Essex St.