The worst stations by borough

chrisliz09

My opinion, of the worst stations, borough by borough.

Queens

21st Street-Van Alst (G)

Jamaica Center (E)(J)(Z)

Bronx

The Entire Concourse Line (:o(D) [save for E. 161 Street]

149th Street-Grand Concourse (2)(4)(5)

3rd Ave-138 Street (6)

Brooklyn

4th Ave-9th Street/7th Ave (F)(G)(R)

Sea Beach Line (N)

West End Line (D)

Bergen Street (2)(3)(4)

Manhattan

Chambers Street (J)(Z)

West 4th Street to 34th Street (:o(D)(F)(M)

Bowery (J)(Z)

50th Street (A)(C)(E)

Bleecker Street (6)

I don't know if this has been mentioned but here's a PDF of the ugliest subway stations in NYC Transit by Greg Mocker.

You can view it here.

So basically Greg Mocker thinks that every station is dirty. Maybe if he and the rest of the let's-be-populist-because-it's-fun-to-bash-the-MTA crowd actually did research and tried to see how easy, or hard for that matter, it is to keep 468 stations at a level of good repair while being at the whim of 5m passengers each weekday, they'd be a bit more sympathetic.

The below-ground open cuts will always look ugly since an entirely new station cannot be put there (as supposed to more structure-like stations). The interesting thing is it wouldn't take as long as structure stations as all that would need to be done is new stairways (which is standard on all rehabs) and to chip/sand replaster and prime, then lay subway tile on top the wall. Thats a far cry from completely demolishing a wall and rebuilding from just a subplatform (or nothing in the case of the Brighton line).

I don't know if this has been mentioned but here's a PDF of the ugliest subway stations in NYC Transit by Greg Mocker.

You can view it here.

That is just disgusting, esp. those photos with folks walking in a pool of water and the one with water rushing down onto the platform. What's even worse is that some of these stations were recently redone (i.e. the Dekalb Ave Station on the (Q) line).

Well water issues have been a problem, is a problem, and will forever be a problem with rising sea levels. Remember, we haven't had a really major water event (other then a thunderstorm here and there, water main break here and there) up here in decades, and we're due. Bring a hurricane or strong tropical storm up here, and we may be terrified at the results, 50+ years after the last one.

Archived