I Wonder Why Some Folks Don't Understand "Closed Door Policy" on LIB and Bee-Line?

FamousNYLover

People don't know how to read a sign to save their lives.

"EASTBOUND BUSES DO NOT DROP OFF IN QUEENS"

There should also be signs that say, "WESTBOUND BUSES DO NOT PICK UP IN QUEENS". People will just get on anything.

The W45 ends at Pelham Bay Park so of course its open door.....

W45 has 3 stops in the Bronx, 2 of them inside the Park itself (no NYCT routes stop at Bartow Pell Mansion or Pelham Bit Stables).

W42 isn't open door, even though there are no NYCT routes at E 242 St

That, and the showing of the route & its destination on the bus stops themselves.... Instead of showing "N20 Hicksville" (on the EB lane of northern blvd w/i Queens) on any bus stop, it should really read "N20 pickup only", while the WB side should read dropoff only..... Except the first stop in Flushing....

Agree with the dropoff only on the westbound signs, but why not showing the eastern destination on the eastbound signs? Confuse the Bayside-Roslyn passenger is all it'll do.

Maybe the closed-door policy is outdated. Long distance services shouldn't be making every stop in Queens anyway. Open the doors and run limited in the city.

No, its not out-dated. This is standard practice throughout the United States and Canada. Whenever one transit agency enters another jurisdiction, they usually always have some type of closed door policy in place. This way, one transit agency is not operating in another's area, taking their fares.

This is done is in nearly all of the major metropolitan areas in North America.

No, its not out-dated. This is standard practice throughout the United States and Canada. Whenever one transit agency enters another jurisdiction, they usually always have some type of closed door policy in place. This way, one transit agency is not operating in another's area, taking their fares.

This is done is in nearly all of the major metropolitan areas in North America.

But if the MTA is running LIB (or at least it will be until January 2012), all it's doing is competing with itself.

Agree with the dropoff only on the westbound signs, but why not showing the eastern destination on the eastbound signs? Confuse the Bayside-Roslyn passenger is all it'll do.

I don't think it would confuse anyone.... ppl. see a LIB panning eastbound on Northern blvd, they know it's going into Nassau county... The problem is not understanding (or tryna "get by") the closed door policy, not [not knowing] where N20's/21's go.....

What I'm suggesting would be a bit of an attempt to try to limit the amt. of people that board N20's/21's as a means of intra-Queens travel....

When ppl. see a destination on a bus stop (in general), they assume that buses pickup & dropoff passengers at that stop, and anywhere else along the route (which is true for a local route that doesn't have any special exceptions - like a closed door policy).... This is why you have folks attempting to ride LIB's w/i Queens...

I don't think it would confuse anyone.... ppl. see a LIB panning eastbound on Northern blvd, they know it's going into Nassau county... The problem is not understanding (or tryna "get by") the closed door policy, not [not knowing] where N20's/21's go.....

What I'm suggesting would be a bit of an attempt to try to limit the amt. of people that board N20's/21's as a means of intra-Queens travel....

When ppl. see a destination on a bus stop (in general), they assume that buses pickup & dropoff passengers at that stop, and anywhere else along the route (which is true for a local route that doesn't have any special exceptions - like a closed door policy).... This is why you have folks attempting to ride LIB's w/i Queens...

Then do this:

Westbound buses show "DROP OFF ONLY" or "NEXT BUS PLEASE" on destination sign and same for bus stop sign.

Eastbound buses show destination plus closed door note on destination sign and same for bus stop sign. Example:

N20 HICKSVILLE÷LIRR STATION^NO DROP OFF÷IN QUEENS

Revert to the standard sign with "via Northern Blvd" once in Nassau.

But if the MTA is running LIB (or at least it will be until January 2012), all it's doing is competing with itself.

That doesn't matter. LIB serves Nassau county, and cannot operate within the city limits open door. Same for NYCT/MTABC. Neither of those agencies can operate within Nassau County open door.

This way they are NOT competing with each other. That's the whole reason for it being set up the way it is.

You know, some drivers could disable the stop requested bell while in Queens

That would lead to people trying the (disabled) bell and breaking the cord/sensor or screaming at the driver.

But isn't the policy worthless going eastbound as the driver must still stop at any shared NYCT/LIB stop even if the passenger is intending to board an NYCT bus, as the driver doesn't know what the passenger wants?

That would lead to people trying the (disabled) bell and breaking the cord/sensor or screaming at the driver.

But isn't the policy worthless going eastbound as the driver must still stop at any shared NYCT/LIB stop even if the passenger is intending to board an NYCT bus, as the driver doesn't know what the passenger wants?

The passenger could ask, "do you stop at______" and the driver could say no. Some stops aren't shared with NYCT and LIB anymore.

Archived