R46 Violent Bucking

Eastman346

I've been recently noticing very violent bucking on the route (R) R46 cars. One was so violent that riders had nervous looks on their faces. In the more than 20 years of riding the subway I've never seen cars buck like this before. Riders were almos being thrown around cars and school girls screaming at the loud booming sound and vibrations of the bucking. It felt like a unusually long delay in the release in the braks. I started getting a little nervous myself. :eek:

I've been recently noticing very violent bucking on the route (R) R46 cars. One was so violent that riders had nervous looks on their faces. In the more than 20 years of riding the subway I've never seen cars buck like this before. Riders were almos being thrown around cars and school girls screaming at the loud booming sound and vibrations of the bucking. It felt like a unusually long delay in the release in the braks. I started getting a little nervous myself. :eek:

Bucking as in hard starts? I notice that more on the (R) than on R46 (A)'s.

In the good ol' days, it'd go something like this:

Fuse blown. Car won't go into parallel. Motorman replaces fuse; wraps up controller. Fuse blows again. Ah, ****, ok, that car won't go into parallel. Keep going. Eventually, car goes into shop. Maintainer replaces the fuse, sends the car right back out, making sure not to put it in parallel while it's moved.

Motorman gets on train in terminal, notches up into parallel. Fuse blows. Ah, ****, HERE WE GO AGAIN!

In the good ol' days, it'd go something like this:

Fuse blown. Car won't go into parallel. Motorman replaces fuse; wraps up controller. Fuse blows again. Ah, ****, ok, that car won't go into parallel. Keep going. Eventually, car goes into shop. Maintainer replaces the fuse, sends the car right back out, making sure not to put it in parallel while it's moved.

Motorman gets on train in terminal, notches up into parallel. Fuse blows. Ah, ****, HERE WE GO AGAIN!

You know what they say; "If it's not on fire, it's not totaled, and it's not currently trying to kill its pax or M/M then it belongs on the rails." :o

When the dynamic brakes don't kick in, the cars buck. A red light comes on in the cab when the T/O is braking and it comes on when there are no dynamics.

what the hell are you talking about? that red light comes on when the friction brake is being applied. the train bucks when you take power and the brakes have not fully released.

what the hell are you talking about? that red light comes on when the friction brake is being applied. the train bucks when you take power and the brakes have not fully released.

My friend said dynamics so he obviously must have been confused...

Would it also buck if you had a few dead motors scattered in the consist?

not really. a dead motor will roll and most of the time you wont know you have a dead motor. unless you see you are not getting enough propulsion ie the train maxes out at 25mph. or when you dont have any dynamic braking and its a long hard friction brake into the station.

Another idea comes from trains that hold too much in their mini brake position combined with strong motors (min brake can hold anywhere from 10-30 lbs depending on the particular consist). Its one of the most important things learning about when trying to operate a R46 (What exactly is the min brake going to give me on this train?).

Archived