Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
JubaionBx12+SBS

2011 NFL Free Agency, Preseason, Regular Season and Playoffs thread

Now that we are assured of a 2011 NFL Season let's share our thoughts about the season. The preseason didn't start yet but it's not too early to talk football especially with the current free agent frenzy. After a couple of preseason games I will offer my predictions as to who will win each division plus Super Bowl XLVI.

Breaking News: Pro-Bowl QB Donovan McNabb has been traded to the Vikings and the Jets have agreed to a deal with WR Santonio Holmes. The Giants and Steelers are also in contact with their former WR Plaxico Burress. The Panthers have agreed to a 5 year/$43 mil ($21 mil guaranteed) with RB DeAngelo Williams.

Thank You JW for making this topic. Before i make a brief comment a bad job by ESPN. While I am a NFL fan (also MLB as well)why is ESPN providing super bowl type wall-wall coverage on their shows and leaving baseball almost non existence other than their Baseball Tonight shows?

Leave the wall-wall coverage to the NFL Network. I know the NFL is the most popular sport in America but this is only the start of camps/pre-season.

Since as a kid, I really dont pay 100% attention to the NFL until the end of the MLB playoffs.

I also felt to be fair to everyone, the regular season should be delayed a week and started the weekend of Sept 15(Thursday night)/Sept. 18 instead of the current Sept 8(Packers opener)/Sept. 11. There going to be a rash of injuries/screw ups and 'upsets' in first few games this season.

Not really going to say much about the free agent signings/trades until they are done. I will say the Skins looks like fools for trading for an aging McNabb and then shipping him to Minny just a season later. Speaking of QB's the Cards and Dolphins are in dire need of a QB and the Eagles Kolb is the best one left available. And i not even going to say anything on the old man, Mr. Favre other than he may soon be sadly maybe of those former NFL players with lifelong brain/musclar injuries for playing way past his prime.

With the Jets, if they gets Nnamdi, they got a chance to be a favorite to make the super bowl. Thus my NFL takes for now. Giants IMO need to move on and pass on Plaxico.

If last year (2010)was the most unpredictable year in NFL History, 2011 should be even more wacky.

Now that we are assured of a 2011 NFL Season let's share our thoughts about the season. The preseason didn't start yet but it's not too early to talk football especially with the current free agent frenzy. After a couple of preseason games I will offer my predictions as to who will win each division plus Super Bowl XLVI.

Breaking News: Pro-Bowl QB Donovan McNabb has been traded to the Vikings and the Jets have agreed to a deal with WR Santonio Holmes. The Giants and Steelers are also in contact with their former WR Plaxico Burress. The Panthers have agreed to a 5 year/$43 mil ($21 mil guaranteed) with RB DeAngelo Williams.

ESPN hypes the NFL and NCAA Football more than any other sport. I'm not much of an NFL fan (very little), but it's probably the best sport they cover there. They are horrible in baseball and basketball.

About Plexico (yes I know it's Plaxico) Burress, I hope the Giants do not sign him. Who knows how he is going to perform being away from the game.

ESPN hypes the NFL and NCAA Football more than any other sport. I'm not much of an NFL fan (very little), but it's probably the best sport they cover there. They are horrible in baseball and basketball.

About Plexico (yes I know it's Plaxico) Burress, I hope the Giants do not sign him. Who knows how he is going to perform being away from the game.

Not to mention ESPN riding on the 'Lefraud' James bandwagon lol with the NBA this past season as well.

No doubt ESPN favorite sports to cover is College Football/Basketball and the NFL.

Again back to this pre training camp free agency/trade period, it's very intresting but barring a blockbuster trade/signing i.e Lebaron sweepsteaks, etc. I always found the coverage by ESPN and other cable sports stations 'overrated.'

What also amazing is that just a few days after a work stoppage ends, analysts on ESPN, NFL Network and other sites/station covering the league, are already making picks for playoff/super bowl spots.

IMO you should wait until the first week of the season to do so before trying out. Even with most of the time, the analysts are wrong, with much of the audience watching now for news related to their gambling/fanasty leagues which is a big factor on the NFL's popularity, I am sure this pre-season super bowl type coverage on ESPN and NFLN is done, to appease those bettors.

In other news:

Reggie Bush is traded to Miami

Kevin Kolb is soon to be traded to Arizona

Steve Breaston is with KC

Rumors are swirling that Albert Haynesworth will be traded to New England

Sidney Rice is with Seattle

In other news:

Reggie Bush is traded to Miami

Kevin Kolb is soon to be traded to Arizona

Steve Breaston is with KC

Rumors are swirling that Albert Haynesworth will be traded to New England

Sidney Rice is with Seattle

Are the Patriots making moves? I think someone is haunted by Gang Green.

Are the Patriots making moves? I think someone is haunted by Gang Green.

Yup, and they just acquired Chad Johnson

Yup, and they just acquired Chad Johnson

It seems that Bill Belichick loves to try to get these talented all-pro type players who are either 'divas' or have off the field personal 'legal' issues in recent years.

We shall see how it works for the player formely known as "Chad Johnson' lol.

New York got Cliff Lee'd again! B)

Yup. Mr. Asomugha makes a surprise Cliff lee type play and signs with the Eagles. I am sure Patco Man is happy not only getting Asomugha arguably the best CB in NFL in 2011, but also the Phils getting in MLB getting Hunter Pence as well.:eek:

I'm glad professional football is back and there is a ten year agreement. I hope the Jets, and Quarterback Mark Sanchez, can continue their success.

It should be interesting with Chad Ochocinco now with the Patriots.

Randy Moss announced his retirement today

I say this. The way Moss ended his carrer in 2010 will hurt him getting into the NFL HOF. IMO Moss will get in but i doubt he be a 1st ballot 'sho-in' selection.

Moss rival for best WR in the NFL in last 10 years or so"TO" Terrel Owens who also just retired will get in quicker. Only question is whether Owens 'diva' ways will hurt him for a 1st ballot selection as well.

Rickey Williams signs with the Baltimore Ravens

My Opinion: Excellent pickup for Baltimore. Now you have Rice & Williams with Leach blocking.

Derrick Mason signs with Jets

My Opinion: Would have preferred Braylon instead of Mason/Plax.

Center Olin Kreutz signs with the Saints for 1 year.

My Opinion: Their already awesome O line just got even better.

Giants first round pick Prince Amukamara has a broken foot and will be out for 2 months :D

TE Kevin Boss signs with Oakland Raiders

Lions RB Leshoure has torn his Achilles and will be out the entire season, this is in addition to first rounder Nick Fairley needing foot surgery

Longtime Jet Shaun Ellis has signed with the Patriots

My Opinion: The Jets low balled a proven vet who can still perform.

This 2011 NFL Training camp update is presented by Allstate.:cool:lol

The 2011 warm-up (woops being politically correct lol ) PRESEASON opens across the NFL. As i stated when the lockout ended just couple of weeks ago, the regular season IMO should have been delayed and pushed back to week of Sept. 15/18(Sundays). The Super Bowl would still be played 'on time' in Indy in early Feb. It's because of the NFL TV partners who would not allow it though.

There going to be IMO even more injuries than ever especially hamstring tears as i am sure some of the players will come with little off season training. Not to mention in first couple of weeks of season there will be tons of upsets. We shall see.

Other big news is the LA City Council approved a plan to bulid a new NFL stadium near Downtown LA in the Staples Center area(Home to NBA Lakers and NHL Kings)

If finalized the stadium could be ready for the 2015-'16 NFL season. Thus teams like the Chargers, Jaguars(end of their lease)Vikings and Raiders all either looking for new stadiums or in case of Jaguars a new lease in Jacksonville, LA will likely get a team. Of those choices i think the Raiders will be the most likely to go to LA especially if a rumored new 'shared' stadium with the 49ers falls apart. With most of my family now in SD, the Charges should stay but a new bulding with only

55,000-60,000 seats. We shall see.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2011-08-10-los-angeles-stadium_n.htm

I would like to also have a college football discussion in this thread being that the season is almost upon us. All eyes will be on the big Oregon vs LSU game on Sept. 3 as it is a matchup of preseason Top 5 teams. I am struggling to make predictions for this upcoming season as I don't have a clear outlook of every team. I just know there will a few teams named the Browns, Bengals, Broncos and Redskins that will not have good seasons.

The first week of the preseason is done. That much closer to meaningful football in 2011. Giants DE Osi Umenyiora has ended his holdout and returned to training camp.

The first week of the preseason is done. That much closer to meaningful football in 2011. Giants DE Osi Umenyiora has ended his holdout and returned to training camp.

The start of the regular season should had been pushed back 1 week to Thursday Sept. 15/Sunday Sept. 18. There going to be more injuries than ever (it alot now with a regular pre season).

Also even though I am a NFL fan why was a stupid warm-up game between the Jets and Texans on ESPN1? A much more important Braves-Giants game with NL playoff berth at stake was on ESPN2 should been on the main ESPN channel.

Hopefully in next tv contract, no more pre season game will be shown on national prime time tv i.e espn, fox and cbs. It should be shown only on NFL Network and regional sports stations across America.

I dislike watching warm up games in any sport including spring training and NBA/NHL games. Matter of fact the tickets should be only a few bucks.:tdown:

No one gives a crap about pre-season. The only thing that matters are the games between Sept 2011 and Feb. 2012. The Lions went 4-0 in the 2008 pre-season. How did that season turn out for them? :P