2011 NFL Free Agency, Preseason, Regular Season and Playoffs thread

JubaionBx12+SBS

No one gives a crap about pre-season. The only thing that matters are the games between Sept 2011 and Feb. 2012. The Lions went 4-0 in the 2008 pre-season. How did that season turn out for them? :P

Andrew did you read my takes on previous post of tv coverage of the pre season? It should be shown only on nfl network and the teams local tv stations/regional sports channels.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andrew did you read my takes on previous post of tv coverage of the pre season? It should be shown only on nfl network and the teams local tv stations/regional sports channels.
I agree with you. I was just saying that no one should look to pre-season to indicate where a team will go. In my post, I provided the ultimate example of my point.

I agree with you. I was just saying that no one should look to pre-season to indicate where a team will go. In my post, I provided the ultimate example of my point.

True. What amazing is that some people actually 'bet' on pre season games. If i did 'bet' on NFL games, it would never be with 3rd and 4th string players who will either be in the CFL, arena football league or bagging groceries come a few months from now.:eek:

No one gives a crap about pre-season. The only thing that matters are the games between Sept 2011 and Feb. 2012. The Lions went 4-0 in the 2008 pre-season. How did that season turn out for them? :)

Exactly. Same with baseball.

True. What amazing is that some people actually 'bet' on pre season games. If i did 'bet' on NFL games, it would never be with 3rd and 4th string players who will either be in the CFL, arena football league or bagging groceries come a few months from now.:eek:

Wow. Gambling in preseason football. Now that is new to me.

Exactly. Same with baseball.

Wow. Gambling in preseason football. Now that is new to me.

Yup i am serious. Just look at the NY Daily News, USA Today and do google search for nfl betting companies or las vegas sports betting with point spreads, etc..

Though much smaller than during the regular season & playoffs, there are people who bet even on a stupid pre-season games.:eek:

So, who plays Fantasy Football here? I can easily create a league @ ESPN if anyone's interested.

BTW, it doesn't look like the G-men are going to have a good season. They have some problems with the players, lost a few. I'm going to hope for the best.

So, who plays Fantasy Football here? I can easily create a league @ ESPN if anyone's interested.

BTW, it doesn't look like the G-men are going to have a good season. They have some problems with the players, lost a few. I'm going to hope for the best.

True. The Cowboys and especially the Birds have improved. Still(I make my nfl picks around sept. 1)the Giants probably won't finish in last place as we still have the lowly Redskins. I see "Big Blue' being (if they get injuries all bests are off)around 7-9 or 8-8 and thus Coughlin getting the pink slip.

Micheal Vick and the talented Eagles lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers 24-14 in preseason action. The important thing is that Micheal Vick went 5-12 throwing no touchdowns and three interceptions. I guess there are some chemistry issues with all of that talent. Big Ben torched the Eagles defense for two touchdowns and no interceptions while he was in action. Defending AFC Champs are looking good and the Eagles have some things to work out if they plan on winning the division again this season.

Micheal Vick and the talented Eagles lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers 24-14 in preseason action. The important thing is that Micheal Vick went 5-12 throwing no touchdowns and three interceptions. I guess there are some chemistry issues with all of that talent. Big Ben torched the Eagles defense for two touchdowns and no interceptions while he was in action. Defending AFC Champs are looking good and the Eagles have some things to work out if they plan on winning the division again this season.

As long as any starters does not get injuries in a pre season match, if i am a NFL coach that is the most important. Who gives a damn about wins and loses during August unless of course you are betting on a stupid warm up game.

It's all about being ready for week #1 on either 9/8/11 or 9/11-12/11.

As long as any starters does not get injuries in a pre season match, if i am a NFL coach that is the most important. Who gives a damn about wins and loses during August unless of course you are betting on a stupid warm up game.

It's all about being ready for week #1 on either 9/8/11 or 9/11-12/11.

The result isn't important to me in the preseason. I just like to see how the starters perform while in action. In this game the offensive and defensive starters on the overhyped Eagles underperformed while Big Ben took care of business.

I will not make any playoff picks as I see too much parity in the league this season but I have a few things I won't be shocked to see.

1. The Philadelphia Eagles missing the playoffs. Vick is not a hall of fame QB. Defenses weren't prepared for him last year and I expect things to change this season.

2. The Houston Texans making the playoffs. The AFC South is weakening as a division and it's this year or never for the Texans.

3. The winner of the NFC West having home field advantage in the playoffs. This division is so weak the winner will have to go 6-0 in division games to show the world they deserve a playoff spot plus the winner of the other NFC divisions will face tough schedules that allow for a few losses.

Big NFL News: The Colts sign Kerry Collins to be QB:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ahldf8FnbsRLfzSJfLAuZ905nYcB?slug=ap-colts-collins

Very likely at this point that Peyton Manning will not be starting the season.

It amazing Peyton played basically his entire carrer without a 'major' injury in a league QB's reguarly go down lack a deck of cards. So he was due to miss time.

Couple of basic 2011 college football questions as the season starts this weekend on the Labor Day Holiday weekend?

Most of you know NCAA division I football is maybe one of the sports i dislike the most in earlier posts. Still curious though.

1)Who are the contenders this season for winning the so called BCS championship?

2)Does anyone else besides that Stanford QB Luck(some say he the next superstar NFL Quaterback)have a chance to win the Heisman?

3)When will the NCAA revise IMO that stupid Overtime period rule in college football?

Just curious. Thanks in Advance.

Couple of basic 2011 college football questions as the season starts this weekend on the Labor Day Holiday weekend?

Most of you know NCAA division I football is maybe one of the sports i dislike the most in earlier posts. Still curious though.

1)Who are the contenders this season for winning the so called BCS championship?

2)Does anyone else besides that Stanford QB Luck(some say he the next superstar NFL Quaterback)have a chance to win the Heisman?

3)When will the NCAA revise IMO that stupid Overtime period rule in college football?

Just curious. Thanks in Advance.

1) Oklahoma and Alabama are the top 2 teams in this year's preseason polls.(preseason polls are silly, no one played a game yet) Those teams along with Oregon, LSU, Boise State and Stanford are expected to be in the national title race come November.

2) Oregon RB LeMicheal James was Kirk Herbstreit's Heisman pick so I would look out for him and maybe Alabama RB Trent Richardson or Boise State QB Kellen Moore

3) That NCAA overtime rule would work if teams started at Midfield or in their own territory. Starting on offense at the opponent's 25 yardline makes it really easy to score. I don't know of any timeline the NCAA has set for reviewing rules like OT and such.

1) Oklahoma and Alabama are the top 2 teams in this year's preseason polls.(preseason polls are silly, no one played a game yet) Those teams along with Oregon, LSU, Boise State and Stanford are expected to be in the national title race come November.

2) Oregon RB LeMicheal James was Kirk Herbstreit's Heisman pick so I would look out for him and maybe Alabama RB Trent Richardson or Boise State QB Kellen Moore

3) That NCAA overtime rule would work if teams started at Midfield or in their own territory. Starting on offense at the opponent's 25 yardline makes it really easy to score. I don't know of any timeline the NCAA has set for reviewing rules like OT and such.

IMO what the NCAA (even the NFL as well) should do is have both teams start at the 35-yard line(barring penalties) giving each side one possession.

In regular season, the 15-minute clock overtime period begins on the first snap after kickoff and take it from that.

With defensive penalties on opening kickoff of overtime, the max the foul could move the ball is to midfield(50-yard line.)

1)If for instance 'team a' on 1st possession get a FG, team 'b' must get at least a field goal on their 1st offensive series to tie the game and keep the match going. If however team 'b' gets a touchdown, they win the game.

It's the same concept as the overtime (extra innings)rule in MLB or minor league baseball.

2)If Both teams are tied after 1st overtime in regular season, game ends in a tie.

3)In a BCS game, they play until someone scores.

To me that settles the OT rule in both college and the NFL.

IMO what the NCAA (even the NFL as well) should do is have both teams start at the 35-yard line(barring penalties) giving each side one possession.

In regular season, the 15-minute clock overtime period begins on the first snap after kickoff and take it from that.

With defensive penalties on opening kickoff of overtime, the max the foul could move the ball is to midfield(50-yard line.)

1)If for instance 'team a' on 1st possession get a FG, team 'b' must get at least a field goal on their 1st offensive series to tie the game and keep the match going. If however team 'b' gets a touchdown, they win the game.

It's the same concept as the overtime (extra innings)rule in MLB or minor league baseball.

2)If Both teams are tied after 1st overtime in regular season, game ends in a tie.

3)In a BCS game, they play until someone scores.

To me that settles the OT rule in both college and the NFL.

The college OT procedure is similar to what you described and is better than the NFL in my opinion. If 'team B' scores a touchdown after the opponent kicks a field goal the game is over in college. I also like the lack of a 15 minute clock in college (it makes the game seem shorter). The only thing I would change is the line of scrimmage for college OT. Make the offenses earn points instead of placing them in field goal range to begin with. A game should not have to end up going into 4 or more OT periods because it's really easy to score.

The college OT procedure is similar to what you described and is better than the NFL in my opinion. If 'team B' scores a touchdown after the opponent kicks a field goal the game is over in college. I also like the lack of a 15 minute clock in college (it makes the game seem shorter). The only thing I would change is the line of scrimmage for college OT. Make the offenses earn points instead of placing them in field goal range to begin with. A game should not have to end up going into 4 or more OT periods because it's really easy to score.

IMO the 35-yard line makes the most sense to start the OT. Not as hard as say starting from the 20-yard line after a touchback from a punt/kickoff but increases the chances for a score.

And i disagree there should be a 15 minute in the college ot(or in NFL if they revise the OT rules) at least in the regular season. If no body has the lead after 15 minutes the games should end in a tie just like the NFL.

Some sad news. NFL Hall of Famer Leroy Selmon aruguably the best defensive player in the early 1980's has died from a stroke at only age 56.

Man what going on that some NFL players are dead so much quicker than the rest of the American population.

Selmon is also best know for being the 1st player in Tampa Bay Bucs history to make the HOF. Here story below.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/2011/09/04/2011-09-04_lee_roy_selmon_hall_of_fame_defensive_end_for_the_tampa_bay_buccaneers_dies_at_a.html

Surprise no on here has done it yet. So here are my 2011 NFL picks.

AFC

East

Jets

North

Ravens

South

Texans If Peyton is unhealthy the Colts long time regin in this division come to an end)

West

Chargers

Wild Cards: Pats, Steelers. To me it's very close between the Jets and Pats for AFC East title.

NFC

East

Eagles

North

Packers

South

Saints

West

49ers

Wild Cards. Cowboys, Falcons

Sleeper (surprise) teams: Bucs(too bad they are in NFC South good young team)& Lions.

Giants predicted finish: 3rd place, NFC East 7-9 or 8-8.

Reactions?:confused:

The Giants aren't even a good team anymore... they remind me of teams that have owners that don't give two shits whether they win or not and only care if they have money... which is the complete opposite of the Yankees. The Jets are certainly the team to beat in NYC this season unless the Giants don't falter at the end of the season. Quite frankly, I wouldn't be all that surprised if the Giants have a season like the 2007 Jets, who had a 4-12 record I believe.

I like the Jets in the AFC East, but the Cowboys were 6-10 last year and I'm going to wait before I do my wild card prediction. The rest seems pretty accurate.

Here are my division, wildcard and Super Bowl picks as well my picks for this week's games:

AFC:

EAST

New England Patriots (x)

New York Jets (y)

Miami Dolphins

Buffalo Bills

CENTRAL

Pittsburgh Steelers (x)

Baltimore Ravens (y)

Cleveland Browns

Cincinnati Bengals

SOUTH

Houston Texans (x)

Tennessee Titans

Indianapolis Colts

Jacksonville Jaguars

WEST

San Diego Chargers (x)

Kansas City Chiefs

Oakland Raiders

Denver Broncos

NFC

EAST

Philadelphia Eagles (x)

Dallas Cowboys (y)

New York Giants

Washington Redskins

CENTRAL

Green Bay Packers (x)

Detroit Lions

Chicago Bears

Minnesota Vikings

SOUTH

Atlanta Falcons (x)

New Orleans Saints (y)

Carolina Panthers

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

WEST

St. Louis Rams (x)

Arizona Cardinals

San Francisco 49ers

Seattle Seahawks

(x)- division winner/(y)- wildcard winner

SUPER BOWL PREDICTION:

New England Patriots vs. Atlanta Falcons

NFL WEEK 1 PICKS:

Green Bay Packers over New Orleans Saints

Atlanta Falcons over Chicago Bears

Cleveland Browns over Cincinnati Bengals

Kansas City Chiefs over Buffalo Bills

Philadelphia Eagles over St. Louis Rams

Detroit Lions over Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Tennessee Titans over Jacksonville Jaguars

Pittsburgh Steelers over Baltimore Ravens (Upset Pick 1)

Houston Texans over Indianapolis Colts

Carolina Panthers over Arizona Cardinals (Upset Pick 2)

San Diego Chargers over Minnesota Vikings

San Francisco 49ers over Seattle Seahawks

New York Giants over Washington Redskins

New York Jets over Dallas Cowboys

New England Patriots over Miami Dolphins

Denver Broncos over Oakland Raiders

Green Bay Packers over New Orleans Saints

Atlanta Falcons over Chicago Bears

Cleveland Browns over Cincinnati Bengals

Kansas City Chiefs over Buffalo Bills

Philadelphia Eagles over St. Louis Browns

Detroit Lions over Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Tennessee Titans over Jacksonville Jaguars

Pittsburgh Steelers over Baltimore Ravens (Upset Pick 1)

Houston Texans over Indianapolis Colts

Carolina Panthers over Arizona Cardinals (Upset Pick 2)

San Diego Chargers over Minnesota Vikings

San Francisco 49ers over Seattle Seahawks

New York Giants over Washington Redskins

New York Jets over Dallas Cowboys

New England Patriots over Miami Dolphins

Denver Broncos over Oakland Raiders

What had you thinking about the Saint Louis Browns?

Archived