2011 NFL Free Agency, Preseason, Regular Season and Playoffs thread

JubaionBx12+SBS

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This NFL update is presented by Papa John's the offical pizza of the NFL. The Jaguars have fired Veteran coach Jack Del Rio. While media reports state that Jacksonville Jags Founder and long time Majority Owner Wayne Weaver has sold the NFL club to Chicago area businessman Shahid Khan, a Pakistani-American. As a major condition of the deal Khan has agreed to keep the team in Jacksonville, Fla.

If approved by NFL Board of Governors, Khan, a Pakistani-American will make league history as the first non-Caucasian majority Owner of a NFL team. Good for Khan. With that said, Jacksonville is the smallest city to have a team (smaller than even Green Bay)does not deserve a NFL and should IMO to either move to either LA, Toronto or even San Antanio.

This NFL update is presented by Papa John's the offical pizza of the NFL. The Jaguars have fired Veteran coach Jack Del Rio. While media reports state that Jacksonville Jags Founder and long time Majority Owner Wayne Weaver has sold the NFL club to Chicago area businessman Shahid Khan, a Pakistani-American. As a major condition of the deal Khan has agreed to keep the team in Jacksonville, Fla.

If approved by NFL Board of Governors, Khan, a Pakistani-American will make league history as the first non-Caucasian majority Owner of a NFL team. Good for Khan. With that said, Jacksonville is the smallest city to have a team (smaller than even Green Bay)does not deserve a NFL and should IMO to either move to either LA, Toronto or even San Antanio.

Good luck with that. The new owner wants the team to stay in Jacksonville

I must say with both the Jets & Giants playing not to good, and in the mist of a playoff hunt, I made compete 180 about the Jets - Giants game in a few weeks, I hope they are both in the heat of the hunt for a playoff spot, its gonna be epic!

Also, I hate to say it but it looks like Giants are having the second half collapse again. It sucks as I really like Tom Coughlin and I'd hate to see this dude leave the Giants on such a sour note.

I really think the Giants will beat the Packers, Eli will be a big factor in it and the Monday afterwards hes gonna be getting Tim Tebow like praise in the New York Post & Daily News lol.

In 1988, the Jets and Giants played each other late in the season with both teams clinging for their playoff hopes. One of the New York teams eliminated the other one, but I forgot which one it was.

Welcome back Patco. Actually neither made the playoffs in 1988 in a season ending meeting. Giants lose the NFCE on tiebreakers to Eagles after that game. Jets did not make the playoffs either. In NFC with 4 teams finishing 10-6, the 49ers and Eagles won the last 2 post season spots on tiebreakers.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988_NFL_season

FYI. The 49ers w/ a 10-6 record led by Joe Montana 'upset' in the playoffs the Bears and then Boomer Esiason's Bengals in that season's superbowl. (jan. 1989)

Arron Rogers..... what a guy.... :cry:

Eli does what a ELITE quarterback does and ties it up in a clutch situation, then the Defense let us down, I really think the Giants can beat them if they meet again in the playoffs, and go on to the SB or NFC championship.

Come on, G men, lets beat Dallas next week!

Glad the Jets won, I'm super hyped about this Jets - Giants game coming up in a few weeks, biggest inner city sport event since the 2000 subway series IMO.

That game is gonna be great, like on some Ravens - Steelers type ish.

Edit:

This game has the same score as the Giants - Pats game at the end of the 2007 season, 38 - 35.

That game was absurd, I got off the train at Penn and was running around Midtown trying to find a bar to watch, made it just for the end. I'm a Jets fan at heart, so I was rooting for the cheeseheads, man what a game.

As i said i am mad at myself on missing probable the best game of the regular season so far with the Pack and Giants. NFL Network replays the 2-3 best games of the weekend on Tuesday and Wed. Nights so i will tape them and watch when i am home on thursday night. :P

Giants had a great weekend as also the Cowboys and Bears lost for a playoff spot. Bears Cutler's backup is out for the season and rumors are Dovovan McNabb with whom the Vikings just released may have Chitown's interest.

Shifting gears, on the business so important news league wide for the NFL. According to USA Today,NFL Boss Roger Godell is on verge of having the league re-sign with it media partners for 'free tv' rights in the US. They are of course, NBC(Sunday Night Football) FOX (NFC Division games) and CBS(AFC Division games)an extension through the 2021 season.

The total package price for the extension is a record $21 Billion(about $5 Billion a year from it's current '4' TV rights holders.)

Report: NFL's new TV deals will pay $24 billion

I am little surprised the NFL would not try to put more 'prime time' games on 'pay per view' or other cable channels besides ESPN and league-owned NFL Network. Plus a blow for the new NBC Sports Net(formely Versus)who may have also wanted to bid on Monday Night Football away from ESPN as well.

Week 14 started out by the Steelers defeating the Browns 14-3 on Thursday. For now Pittsburgh is 1st place in the AFC North and AFC as a whole. The Packers and 49ers have clinched their division titles so the battle is now for homefield advantage in the NFC.

Games to look forward to on Sunday:

Kansas City (5-7) vs NY Jets (7-5) 1 pm CBS My prediction: Jets win easily against an unhealthy KC team

New Orleans (9-3) vs Tennessee (7-5) 1 pm FOX My prediction: Brees exposes the Titans defense and NO continues a first round bye push

Chicago (7-5) vs Denver (7-5) 4:05 pm FOX My prediction: Chicago steals an important one on the road. Denver and Oakland remain tied for AFC West lead

Oakland (7-5) vs Green Bay (12-0) 4:15 pm CBS My prediction: Green Bay moves to 13-0. Enough said

NY Giants (6-6) vs Dallas (7-5) 8:20 pm NBC My prediction: Giants gain confidence off the close one against Green Bay and win all remaining games down the stretch to clinch NFC East title.

This week 14 update is presented by Papa John the offical pizza of the NFL.:)

Jets kept their playoff hopes alive with 'easy' blowout win vs. the Chiefs.

Also the other early(1pm ET)Sunday game winners.

Ravens

Falcons

Lions

Jaguars

Eagles

Saints

Pats

And watch the end amazing end of Texans-Bengals game as Houston wins helping the Jets out in gaining the last wild card spot.(AFC#6 seed) Congrats to Houston on 1st ever playoff spot and winning the AFC South. That AFC south had been known for having the Peyton Manning Colts had won almost every year since league wide realignment in 2002 when the Texans joined the league. PS. I really dislike the Texans name why can't the current Houston NFL team just be known as the Oilers before that team moved to Nashville.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2011121103/2011/REG14/texans@bengals?module=HP11_headline_stack#menu=highlights&tab=recap

And Giants play in a short while Tonight in Texas vs. the Cowboys in huge game for division lead and a probable #4 seed in the NFC playoffs.

This week 14 update is presented by Papa John the offical pizza of the NFL.:)

Jets kept their playoff hopes alive with 'easy' blowout win vs. the Chiefs.

Also the other early(1pm ET)Sunday game winners.

Ravens

Falcons

Lions

Jaguars

Eagles

Saints

Pats

And watch the end amazing end of Texans-Bengals game as Houston wins helping the Jets out in gaining the last wild card spot.(AFC#6 seed) Congrats to Houston on 1st ever playoff spot and winning the AFC South. That AFC south had been known for having the Peyton Manning Colts had won almost every year since league wide realignment in 2002 when the Texans joined the league. PS. I really dislike the Texans name why can't the current Houston NFL team just be known as the Oilers before that team moved to Nashville.

NFL Game Center: Houston Texans at Cincinnati Bengals - 2011 Week 14

And Giants play in a short while Tonight in Texas vs. the Cowboys in huge game for division lead and a probable #4 seed in the NFC playoffs.

Congrats to the Texans on their first playoff berth!!!! As of now Tim Tebow and the Broncos are in another thriller with Chicago currently in OT. The two big storylines to focus on for the rest of the season are the Packers and their chase for a 16-0 season along with the Colts and their likely 0-16 season.

I fill have the filled in Playoff pictures as of Week 15 tomorrow.

Giants just blocked a FG attempt by Bailey and Big Blue wins 37-33.

With that said, the NFL has to look at the endless commericals that NBC has on the games. Thought 5-6 years, back moving the prime time game from Monday(ABC) to Sunday(NBC) move help east coast viewers.

Kickoff was at 830pm(ET) and it still lasts well over 3 hours. Ideally the NBC SNF kickoff should be at 805pm. At least the afternoon matches starting at 101pm and 415pm has barring games that go to overtime, finish close to schedule 3 hours later.

Shifting gears, on the business so important news league wide for the NFL. According to USA Today,NFL Boss Roger Godell is on verge of having the league re-sign with it media partners for 'free tv' rights in the US. They are of course, NBC(Sunday Night Football) FOX (NFC Division games) and CBS(AFC Division games)an extension through the 2021 season.

The total package price for the extension is a record $21 Billion(about $5 Billion a year from it's current '4' TV rights holders.)

Report: NFL's new TV deals will pay $24 billion

I am little surprised the NFL would not try to put more 'prime time' games on 'pay per view' or other cable channels besides ESPN and league-owned NFL Network. Plus a blow for the new NBC Sports Net(formely Versus)who may have also wanted to bid on Monday Night Football away from ESPN as well.

Well it's a done deal. The NFL has offically announced 10-year tv extension deals with ESPN, Fox, CBS and NBC through the end of the 2011 season.

The biggest change of the deal is that for first time ever, ESPN will now telecast a post season game. It will likely be the Saturday afternoon (opener of wild card weekend)and just like the regular season, the game will likely be on "Free TV" in the teams home cities.

Meanwhile NBC will now only show the Saturday evening nightcap(or game #2)of the 1st round/wild card games. Also changing is NBC will now also show the divisional round match as well.

As far as the regular season, Fox and CBS will now show a select few games a season of the other conference. For instance CBS will now can show a Packers-Bears NFC intradivision game. While Fox can show a Jets-Raiders game as well.

Still a surpise the NFL unlike other sports leagues worldwide and in America can show almost all of the games of free tv. Now it's time they once and for all can the crappy 'blackout rule." At least tweak it that if the game is not sold out put on cable or something.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2011/12/new-nfl-tv-deals-bonanza/1

As far as the regular season, Fox and CBS will now show a select few games a season of the other conference. For instance CBS will now can show a Packers-Bears NFC intradivision game. While Fox can show a Jets-Raiders game as well.

That has already happened. FOX showed a Broncos at Vikings game which was originally on CBS.

That has already happened. FOX showed a Broncos at Vikings game which was originally on CBS.

Patcoman i meant Fox a few times a season can now an all AFC game i.e Pats-Dolphins, etc while CBS can show for instance an all NFC Eagles-Giants.

Playoffs except for ESPN now soon showing one wild card game and NBC taking over the Saturday divisional game remains the same.

Now basketball and baseball need to follow suit

Q43 actually the NBA has a little while before their tv contracts with ABC/ESPN and TNT ends after the 2016 NBA Finals. MLB is the next tv contract up for grabs after the 2013 World Series but dicussions/possible bids can start later on in 2012. Versus now about to be renamed NBC Sports Net, is expected to bid for one of the cable packages that ESPN and TBS/TNT has.

For more info on US TV rights for sporting events here link.

Sports broadcasting contracts in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Guess who the most popular sports personality in America right now? Lebron? Oh please that so last year in 2011:p. "King Albert" Puojls? Not really.

Actually it's Tim Tebow and leading the Bronocs picked at start of season to at best for around 6-8 wins is the talk of the NFL. Tebow Fever has for now even taken the Packers attempt for undefeated 16-0 season off the headlines. Here Sunday 12/18/11 Daily News column with head writer Gary Myers on Tebow fever.

Tim Tebow has Denver Broncos head coach John Fox and teammates believing in the magic - NY Daily News

This NFL update is presented by Allstate. Looks like gamblers across America had a bad day as upsets reigned in week #15. First The Giants suffered a huge loss in DC (actually Landover, Maryland lol)for their playoff chances.

Meanwhile the Packers suffered their 1st loss of the season in a shocker to the Chiefs. And lastly the Colts will not 'tie' the 2008 Lions for worst season in NFL History beating the Titans.

Other winners in the 1pm (ET) early games.

Bengals

Dolphins

Seahawks

Saints

Panthers

Cowboys(Saturday Night) and Falcons(Thursday) won in games earlier in the weekend.

Packers lost to the Chiefs of all teams...

The Giants game was a shocker... we lost to the freaking Redskins...

Luckily, the Giants are still in the playoff hunt, if the Jets beat the Eagles, the Jets - Giants game next week will be meaningful! :cool:

Trainfan at this point, the only realistic chance for Big Blue to make post season is winning the NFC East. The Cowboys now back leading the division heading into the season's final 2 weeks.

Meanwhile the Jets also get blow out to the Eagles. Philly which seemed out of a playoff spot 2 weeks and Coach Andy Reid out the door now are back to life with outside chance to win the NFC Least.

And in the Tebow bowl, the Pats beat Denver handing the Broncos a huge loss and keeping the Jets playoff hopes alive for the #6 playoff seed ( and last)AFC wild card spot.

So now the Jets/Giants battle of the meadowlands on Christmas Eve. Again why can't this game had been on another time earlier in the season. It even could been a prime time on say ESPN as well.

Archived