In Memoriam

SirJokaPlaya

Well, I come today with sad news with one of our own.

I recently got a phone call from a good friend of mine. One of the drivers at the Meadowlands passed away today. Thomas Truex. His name might be familiar to some of us since a passenger made a complaint about his driving, yet he never had an accident. I knew him personally as a very polite person and a good friend. Just thought anyone that knew him from the North Division might wanna know. I don't know exactly what happened but when I get it confirmed, I'll pass it along.

- SJP

Yeah. Apparently, Tom (Going from what I heard) did his morning trips, and parked his bus at the two parking spots near gate 305 (the spots where the right of the bus, you're looking at outside NYC, seeing the NYTimes Building. For whatever reason he decided to sit down on the first seat behind the drivers area. Maybe he wasn't feeling ok and maybe needed to relax before he started driving again, who knows. But, they found him later and he was gone. It's really sad right now. It's the 2nd death in the garage for a driver this year, and both were good people that I knew and respected personally.

Yeah. Apparently, Tom (Going from what I heard) did his morning trips, and parked his bus at the two parking spots near gate 305 (the spots where the right of the bus, you're looking at outside NYC, seeing the NYTimes Building. For whatever reason he decided to sit down on the first seat behind the drivers area. Maybe he wasn't feeling ok and maybe needed to relax before he started driving again, who knows. But, they found him later and he was gone. It's really sad right now. It's the 2nd death in the garage for a driver this year, and both were good people that I knew and respected personally.
Sorry for you and his family and friends may he R.I.P.

Good. Now there can be a full investigation with the press involved. And the people that ****** up can be reprimanded in public, as they should.

sorry to hear that bro i remember always riding his bus to school i always enjoy it always approved how he drives

nj.com reports that Tom had an heart attack, via a spokesperson from the Port Authority. More info here: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/08/heart_attack_killed_nj_transit.html

The New York Times made a great article on Tom. Read here. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/03/nyregion/thomas-truex-driver-found-dead-in-bus-is-buried.html?_r=1

• 1 year later...

Normally, I don't bring old topics up but in this instance, I thought it was fitting as it was a year ago last week when Tom Truex passed away. Just asking everyone to keep his family in your prayers.

Everytime I see 7434 I think about him and really wish somebody had noticed that bus sooner. It still boggles the mind that as much as they harp on the drivers about idling....nobody noticed anything for 5 hours! R.I.P. Tom

RIP

Condolence for the family,

My friend told me awhile ago when he was doing the Howell run, one of the driver pulled over(no passenger) was supposed to do Old Bridge to PABT but the driver never pulled up to do the run. He passed away like truex did. I think it took 2 hours to realized it never moved. The bus was idling all that time. Shouldnt the bus driver tell the dispatcher if he not feeling well to drive at the moment?

Everytime I see 7434 I think about him and really wish somebody had noticed that bus sooner. It still boggles the mind that as much as they harp on the drivers about idling....nobody noticed anything for 5 hours! R.I.P. Tom

BZ, that's what boggles me. With over 100 cameras at PABT, and depot masters and clerks at Meadowlands, obviously, someone should of rang a bell and realized that Tom was not back, even after a hour late. When that bus was 30 minutes late to come back, unless it was traffic coming back to NJ, control center would of been called. There was times when the silent emergency alarm was pulled on a bus and control center asks all operators to look out for a specific bus. I just do not understand.

Archived