Hello everybody...

3rdRailOps

My name is Joe.

I've been working for the NYC Transit Authority for 7 years now. About 3 1/2 years as a Track Worker and another 3 1/2 years as a Third Rail Maintainer in the Power Distribution Dept. of Maintainence Of Way.

Just wanted to say hello to everybody out there on the board...

B)

Welcome to the forum it is nice to have you here. I see you're a veteran on the job.

A question for you if you don't mind... do you need to be touching anything else besides the 3rd rail to get electrocuted like say one of the main rails? I was always curious as to this.

Wow. Thanks for all the warm greetings guys... You really know how to make a newbie feel welcome...

BMT4Life,

First off, I never mind answering questions from interested parties. Message boards are all about sharing anyway, so ask away.

In answer to your question:

Yes, you MUST be grounded to something in order to get electrocuted by the 3rd rail. The most common way is to be touching a "Running Rail" (the 2 rails the train rides on) or track plate with one foot and then coming in contact with the 3rd rail.

On my job we are required to disconnect the positive cables that feed the 3rd rail from the Sub Station in order to kill power to a section of track for work gangs and contractors.

Yes we actually grab these 650 volt live cables with our hands and unbolt them from the 3rd rail with a just a socket or adjustable wrench.

Our protection against electric shock is to stand on a rubber mat while doing this and to wear a pair of rubber gauntlets.

Unfortunatley these rubber gauntlets are uncomfortable and all too many times I'll see some maintainers (mostly old-schoolers) dropping the cables with their bare hands.

They are taking a BIG chance, by taking shortcuts with not wearing all their safety gear, but many have done it this way for years without incident and become complacent. But as long as they're standing on the rubber mat, they are fine handling a live 3rd rail, so long as they don't ground themselves on a girder or running rail.

Hope that answers your question...

Joe.

Wow. Thanks for all the warm greetings guys... You really know how to make a newbie feel welcome...

BMT4Life,

First off, I never mind answering questions from interested parties. Message boards are all about sharing anyway, so ask away.

In answer to your question:

Yes, you MUST be grounded to something in order to get electrocuted by the 3rd rail. The most common way is to be touching a "Running Rail" (the 2 rails the train rides on) or track plate with one foot and then coming in contact with the 3rd rail.

On my job we are required to disconnect the positive cables that feed the 3rd rail from the Sub Station in order to kill power to a section of track for work gangs and contractors.

Yes we actually grab these 650 volt live cables with our hands and unbolt them from the 3rd rail with a just a socket or adjustable wrench.

Our protection against electric shock is to stand on a rubber mat while doing this and to wear a pair of rubber gauntlets.

Unfortunatley these rubber gauntlets are uncomfortable and all too many times I'll see some maintainers (mostly old-schoolers) dropping the cables with their bare hands.

They are taking a BIG chance, by taking shortcuts with not wearing all their safety gear, but many have done it this way for years without incident and become complacent. But as long as they're standing on the rubber mat, they are fine handling a live 3rd rail, so long as they don't ground themselves on a girder or running rail.

Hope that answers your question...

Joe.

That is exactly what I thought from what I heard a long time ago. Thanks for the response.

Hey Joe ... welcome ... I'm new to the site myself ...

I'm a motorman in the B division , just made my first year today and am now finished with probation ...

Have you gone to the class yet with all the flagging rules revisions? I haven't gone yet but will do it before the weeks end ... I thought it was just a few things but they're changing a lot , someone showed me a mini booklet they passed out , so lots of changes on the way ...

Anyway , welcome , be safe out there on the tracks ...

-Mike

Mike,

Congrats on making the probation. It's a relief, I know.

I went to my Safety Stand Down at P.S. 248 in Bklyn about 2 weeks ago. Roberts and Toussaint went over most of the changes.

It's likely that we'll be using more R.T.O. style flagging out there now.

Some of the new flagging rules still seem a little sketchy to me, but from what I understand, all the revisions will go into effect on June 8th.

And as far as the TA wanting to create a seperate unit of flaggers to be dispatched on a job by job basis in Maintainence of Way. I'll believe it when I see it.... But I guess we'll all have to play it by ear for now.

Anyway, be safe and good luck with your new career in the TA.

Joe.

;)

I took the class today ... one thing that's good is the yellow lamps going out first now instead of the green ... never made sense to me that they did it the other way ... on the comments paper we had to turn in at the end , my only recomendation was to double everyones pay (maybe good for a laugh by whoever reads it , nothing more) ... lol ...

The latest rumor I'm hearing on the upcoming contract (from somebody who claims to have spoken to our union head at Stillwell a day or two ago) is 20/50 is dead , and it looks like the MTA not only wants but will probably get a few givebacks this time around ... You heard anyhting you deem as possibly being reliable about the upcoming contract?

Later - Mike

MotormanMike,

Yes, putting the yellows out first is indeed a good thing. However the rules regarding Point-To-Point flagmen now having to carry out a red and trip into the field I disagree with.

I can't think of a single instance where a Point-To-Point team has ever been injured/killed in the line of duty. This flagger will now be walking the tracks carrying a Streamlight, flashing yellow, portable train stop and red lamp. Which is far too cumbersome a load to bear when walking the tracks.

In addition, on the motorman's approach, he will only see a single flashing yellow lamp and then be upon a flagman with the red and trip. And what about a light bank? Full flagging procedure calls for one at the flagmans location. But not for the Point-to-Point flagger??? It does't seem like they've thought this thing through.

As far as the contract, I wouldn't even think about the 20/50 until Toussaint is out of office. He is not the leader that can win this for the membership. Personally I believe he's in bed with management, but that's another issue all together. But, there will be give backs by Roger & Co. at this contract.

I've gone through the last 2 contracts with him as union president and he always damages the local with huge givebacks to the TA. Like the 1.5% medical contribution (which is now already 1.9%), pushing back the contract deadline, a 0% wage increase with a measely $1,000 bonus, just to name a few.

Pay your dues and hopefully we can vote this bum out next year.

Joe.

MotormanMike,

Yes, putting the yellows out first is indeed a good thing. However the rules regarding Point-To-Point flagmen now having to carry out a red and trip into the field I disagree with.

I can't think of a single instance where a Point-To-Point team has ever been injured/killed in the line of duty. This flagger will now be walking the tracks carrying a Streamlight, flashing yellow, portable train stop and red lamp. Which is far too cumbersome a load to bear when walking the tracks.

In addition, on the motorman's approach, he will only see a single flashing yellow lamp and then be upon a flagman with the red and trip. And what about a light bank? Full flagging procedure calls for one at the flagmans location. But not for the Point-to-Point flagger??? It does't seem like they've thought this thing through.

As far as the contract, I wouldn't even think about the 20/50 until Toussaint is out of office. He is not the leader that can win this for the membership. Personally I believe he's in bed with management, but that's another issue all together. But, there will be give backs by Roger & Co. at this contract.

I've gone through the last 2 contracts with him as union president and he always damages the local with huge givebacks to the TA. Like the 1.5% medical contribution (which is now already 1.9%), pushing back the contract deadline, a 0% wage increase with a measely $1,000 bonus, just to name a few.

Pay your dues and hopefully we can vote this bum out next year.

Joe.

We all are tired of this Union. Things have actually gotten worse, with discipline. I hate to say it, but things were better with Pataki's cronies. Reason being, we knew what we were going to get. Blue Ribbon Panel my ass. I think Roger the Dodger, and Sanders negotiated on when it is proper to hang union members, which is all the time now. It's a shame in the DOS, you all can hardly find a Union rep. This is what we pay for, huh. Lack of representation. Roger and the union chairs are out for themselves only.

As for the 20/50, well one of my co-workers said that it is dead. But then again MTA is Rumorville, USA.......

Archived