R32 retirement pushed back to 2017

LRG

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
amen to that, those things shoulda went a long time ago, the R44s early retirement are the only reason they are still around. But I dont know why they cant get the R179 order done right, they should have just ordered more R160s and negotiated a better price. Whos bright idea was it to leave East New York yard with 40 old cars and the rest new stuff? Was it really a big difference in the long run to just order 40 more 4 car 160 sets? and the R44s? how didnt they notice the frames were rotting like that years ago when the time was rolling around to plan new orders?

The only reason ENY has the 40+ R42's is because of the June 2010 replacement of the V train with the M train in Queens resulting in 5 more trains required for the M. Without this change, ENY would have been all R160/R143 with the Spring 2010 arrival of the last 32 R160A's (9943-9974). The interesting thing is that had all R32's and R42's been replaced by R160's and had R44's remained in service, the June 2010 replacement of the V with the M could not have happened as the only cars available for the additional 5 trains would have been either 75' R44's,46's and 68's or 5 car set R160's

So stay in the Bronx where your Dirty r142's are at, They have no choice but to keep the cars get over it, we got over 1,665 R160's thats enough right there
dirty? are you kidding the R142s are fine and they clean them every nite a few blocks away from me we also have alot of new stations to go with it and lets not forget ATS countdown clocks

dirty? are you kidding the R142s are fine and they clean them every nite a few blocks away from me we also have alot of new stations to go with it and lets not forget ATS countdown clocks

How about no.. The R142s are pretty dirty. The many times i have put my hand on the outside of it, it IS dirty! My hands get the damn steel dust.

239th does not know how to keep its cars clean. Unionport pending to check. (Tho i hear they keep theres clean for the (5))

148th/Livonia always send its R62s for a cleaning and ITS clean. Why cant 239ths own cars get cleaned? Maybe to prevent damages of the computer hardware or they are just lazy?

The R142As are another one..

Also idk what the Countdown clocks and rehabbed stations have to do with this. But the cars yes.. dirty and crap.

How about no.. The R142s are pretty dirty. The many times i have put my hand on the outside of it, it IS dirty! My hands get the damn steel dust.

239th does not know how to keep its cars clean. Unionport pending to check. (Tho i hear they keep theres clean for the (5))

148th/Livonia always send its R62s for a cleaning and ITS clean. Why cant 239ths own cars get cleaned? Maybe to prevent damages of the computer hardware or they are just lazy?

Also idk what the Countdown clocks and rehabbed stations have to do with this. But the cars yes.. dirty and crap.

well idk what you are talking about i watch them clean them and yea they get dirty but thats what you get when you send them out by time they get too bk and back its dirty but they are fairly clean when i get on them

well idk what you are talking about i watch them clean them and yea they get dirty but thats what you get when you send them out by time they get too bk and back its dirty but they are fairly clean when i get on them

What time/days do you see them get cleaned?

The R32s are okay in my book. Yeah its good to have the old stuff running, but when I rode those on the (C) in 2009 that thing rattled like a can of beans when it went through the East River tunnels. I was listening to my iPod and I still heard the rumbling. I would prefer them putting the 160s on the (C).

So stay in the Bronx where your Dirty r142's are at, They have no choice but to keep the cars get over it, we got over 1,662 R160's thats enough right there

Correction in red.

Anyways, It's great to hear that these Bright-liners will see more years in service. Those haters aren't going to make a difference anytime soon.

And yes, the R-142/142a cars aren't the cleanest subway cars either. Same with the R-160a/bs.

Guest lance25
Its interesting how everyone's dismissing the NTTs while praising subway cars that weren't expected to make it to 30.

You know everyone loves that damn railfan window. The train could stall every five minutes, but as long as you have a good view out of the front, it's all good.

I don't have a problem with keeping these old trains if they were running without too many problems. The problem is that's not the case. Yes, the cars are old and we can't expect them to run like the NTTs, but at some point, you have to realize that the cost of keeping these old cars around is more than just buying new ones. These cars are constantly in and out of service, according to some members here and that will only continue, regardless of any SMS. 50 years is 50 years is 50 years. There's no way around that undeniable fact.

The only thing that matters to me is my train coming when it's supposed to come. And no, I don't care what line the R32s should be moved to, it won't make a difference as where the train is put as money is being invested to keeping them around.

Ok people, lets slow down the R-32 happy train for a second, I don't think you guys read this slow enough. Ya'll saw R-32, 6 Years and kicked down the closet door with the pedal on full throttle...

It stated, "...at least another 6 years until 2017 when new R179 cars are delivered".

That means that the last R-179 will be delivered BY 2017, not that the R-179s will start being delivered IN 2017. This means that some where between 2014-2015 we'll see the first of the new cars. Also, depending on the builder, they could be built quicker than the scheduled date as in most contracts there is incentives to completing ahead of schedule.

I like my old cars like anyone else, but lets read between the lines people. Its there in black and white. The R-179 Contract will officially be awarded something next month (August) and then expect full delivery timeline details to come out then and THEN we all can jump for joy about how much longer the R-32s and R-42s REALLY have left.

Also, to the whole thing about older cars lasting a long time in other systems, no other system in the world puts their rolling stock through the abuse we do here in New York, that goes for both subway cars and buses. So, for me, I couldn't compare us to anywhere else in the world.

I've seen some light brown R142's before. I wonder why R142A's are more clean than R142's. Maybe R142A's have a different kind of steel? I haven't seen that much R142A's dirty, ever!

On-topic :

I hope they do! The R32's might have A/C problems, but we still have the railfan window and its nostalgia!

I don't really care if a train is old or new only if it works. If I owned a train I will run it till the day it can no longer run, and it doesn't matter if it's 110 years old. As long as it still works right?

Not that easy Paco... There is US federal mandates and regulation and guidelines that have to be followed such as the ADA for example.

I have to agree w/you though... As much as I like the newer subway cars, I really don't see them lasting that long either. Too high tech for one thing and technology becomes obsolete so quickly... But aside from that I don't feel like these new cars are built that strong. Not nearly as strong as say the R68s.

I don't see what obsolete technology has to do with the lifespan of a car. If you're talking software-wise, then software can be updated relatively easily. If you're talking about hardware (FIND's, etc.) then I don't see this being a problem in older cars that have LCD signs (R46s, for example). Also from a rider's perspective you can't accurately tell how strong a car is built.

That goes for literally any car in the system. Next time a train enters the station and opens its doors take your (not you specifically) hand and rub it on the side of the car. No matter what the car type, that hand is going to be dark brown when you look at it. The train could be on its first run back from the car wash, but as long as it took a subway tunnel to get to your station then there is going to be steel dust on it.

Guest lance25
The only reason ENY has the 40+ R42's is because of the June 2010 replacement of the V train with the M train in Queens resulting in 5 more trains required for the M. Without this change, ENY would have been all R160/R143 with the Spring 2010 arrival of the last 32 R160A's (9943-9974). The interesting thing is that had all R32's and R42's been replaced by R160's and had R44's remained in service, the June 2010 replacement of the V with the M could not have happened as the only cars available for the additional 5 trains would have been either 75' R44's,46's and 68's or 5 car set R160's

I knew I missed a post that needed to be responded to.

As I've stated before, if the (Mx) and (V) hadn't merged in June of last year, we'd be facing a car shortage. With the R44s facing early retirement at that time, over half of the total number of R46s was sent to Pitkin for service on the (A) and the Rockaway Park (S). Keeping the (V) around (and this is assuming the (G) was transferred to Coney Island and using their R68s back in June 2010) would not only use every R46 Jamaica has, but would've also required the remaining R42s and some R160s as well if they wanted to keep the same number of trains running as before the service cuts and some sort of a spare factor in place.

Archived