Soaking the Rich will not solve Spending Problem

R68 Subway Car

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being fair, the Wall Street Journal is owned by Rupert Mudrock who is a big supporter of the GOP and especially the Tea Party. Before Mudrock brought them a few years back, I would have been more willing to take them more serious.

In this case a media outlet like Forbes (i know they can 'consertavtive' as well) is where i would much rather hear commentary. Forbes has been known to knock the GOP. Sad to say this but these days it's hard to find any media outlets that can be 'objective' and speak the truth being non-partisan on complex issues such as the current debt issue/crisis.

And if anyone knows me, I am not in no way, a die in the wood Democratic supporter either.:eek:

I've been saying this all along. Socking the rich and the upper middle class with ridiculous taxes will not solve the problem, nor will hiking taxes on anyone for that matter. Washington needs to learn how to cut its spending and stop looking to the taxpayers for more and more money. :mad: :tdown:

We also need to get more abled folks working and not abusing the system and collecting welfare .

I've been saying this all along. Socking the rich and the upper middle class with ridiculous taxes will not solve the problem, nor will hiking taxes on anyone for that matter. Washington needs to learn how to cut its spending and stop looking to the taxpayers for more and more money. :mad: :tdown:

We also need to get more abled folks working and not abusing the system and collecting welfare .

Being fair, what about fact, multi-billion dollars companies from General Electric and others owning the government tens of millions in unpaid taxes?

While I am no expert on this issue, the country does have issues liking a decaying transportation structure ie aging highways, transit network, schools, just to name a few. So Garibaldi how you propose we pay for these projects without new taxes?

Also Garbalidi the rich also abuse the 'system' in tax cheats which you often forget to admit.

On the debt crisis which like many people who is confused about it i say this. There has to be be a way for compromise to avoid this debt crisis.

Being fair, what about fact, multi-billion dollars companies from General Electric and others owning the government tens of millions in unpaid taxes?

While I am no expert on this issue, the country does have issues liking a decaying transportation structure ie aging highways, transit network, schools, just to name a few. So Garibaldi how you propose we pay for these projects without new taxes?

Also Garbalidi the rich also abuse the 'system' in tax cheats which you often forget to admit.

On the debt crisis which like many people who is confused about it i say this. There has to be be a way for compromise to avoid this debt crisis.

Simple... STOP spending money that isn't there and STOP wasting money for foolishness like $700k for a f*cking fish tank in the SI Ferry Terminal. :mad: We can thank the genius Borough President Molinaro for wasting thousands when that money could be used for much better purposes here on Staten Island. And of course the irony is that the fish keep dying off in the tank, meaning more taxpayer monies are being wasted on that nonsense... ;) That's a perfect example of wasteful spending that is happening across the country and taxpayers are asked to shell out more and more for more wasteful spending.

If the rich beat the system then good for them because the government has been punishing us (the citizens) for years with tax after tax after tax. Me as a single professional I am killed with taxes. I barely take in anything from NY State after filing taxes every year and in fact some years I actually owe the State money, which is ridiculous when I see how much I pay in taxes. Meanwhile families with a sh*t load of kids get to have exemptions and sh*t, but where are the "exemptions" for young single working middle class professionals? The only little tax break I get is from my student loans and I'll get a small tax break when I purchase a condo down the road, but that's it. And then NY State wonders why folks are leaving in droves. They're taxing us to death to support the poor and their out of control spending. :mad: :tdown:

Kudos to the Tea Party for taking a stand!! :tup: :cool:

Yes. Let's start with raising the debt ceiling so we don't default. ;)

I think we can all agree that the government needs to shape up or ship out on the spending issue. And I want to agree taxes don't need to go up, but at the same time I feel like maybe they do and the rich people are able to pay it best. It's like people seem to forget though, that just like how taxes can be raised they can be cut. So the tax hike doesn't have to be permanent. Once the necessary cuts have been made and the proper money is there, I won't have a problem talking about relief. My whole issue has never been with more or less taxes, its been with how my tax money gets used. I'll pay more if it's being used properly. And I wanna see those scum bags who evade tax payments caught and dealt with. I know we have plenty of them especially higher up.

Simple... STOP spending money that isn't there and STOP wasting money for foolishness like $700k for a f*cking fish tank in the SI Ferry Terminal. :mad: We can thank the genius Borough President Molinaro for wasting thousands when that money could be used for much better purposes here on Staten Island. And of course the irony is that the fish keep dying off in the tank, meaning more taxpayer monies are being wasted on that nonsense... ;) That's a perfect example of wasteful spending that is happening across the country and taxpayers are asked to shell out more and more for more wasteful spending.

If the rich beat the system then good for them because the government has been punishing us (the citizens) for years with tax after tax after tax. Me as a single professional I am killed with taxes. I barely take in anything from NY State after filing taxes every year and in fact some years I actually owe the State money, which is ridiculous when I see how much I pay in taxes. Meanwhile families with a sh*t load of kids get to have exemptions and sh*t, but where are the "exemptions" for young single working middle class professionals? The only little tax break I get is from my student loans and I'll get a small tax break when I purchase a condo down the road, but that's it. And then NY State wonders why folks are leaving in droves. They're taxing us to death to support the poor and their out of control spending. :mad: :tdown:

Kudos to the Tea Party for taking a stand!! :tup: :cool:

You're being taxed so much that you barely take any money for yourself but you can afford a condo???

You're being taxed so much that you barely take any money for yourself but you can afford a condo???

Yeah, I happen to be in between two tax brackets apparently. The state heavily taxes single folks. I ask my tax guy about it every year (if I don't do them myself) and he tells me that single professionals get taken to the cleaners. My salary fluctuates a bit because part of it is based on commissions that I receive. I take a cut from each project that I do in addition to my base salary. It's a different story with the federal gov't. What's so ironic about me being able to afford a condo? Yes, I can afford one because I live within my means and am responsible with my spending unlike our gov't and have very good credit. While I usually don't get anything or very little from the state I do get funds from the feds though. I'm talking about tax refunds by the way, not what I take home each paycheck.

It worked during the Clinton administration. It worked during a couple other administrations.

Not only that but the GOP isnt trying to help at all! Obama proposed billions in cuts, and billions in revenue. He knows that soaking the rich won't solve the problem. But the rich are too greedy and complacent to do anything other than other that bitch and moan about tax cuts they can do without. So the Wall Street Journal article does nothing to help the situation. The Tea Bagged Party does nothing to help the situation.....

This is pointless to even discuss! The GOP doesn't want to change shit! They want us to default so they can ruin Obama's presidency, and they are willing to destroy our reputation as a nation, and our world economy just to make a point! Period. Point blank!.

It worked during the Clinton administration. It worked during a couple other administrations.

Not only that but the GOP isnt trying to help at all! Obama proposed billions in cuts, and billions in revenue. He knows that soaking the rich won't solve the problem. But the rich are too greedy and complacent to do anything other than other that bitch and moan about tax cuts they can do without. So the Wall Street Journal article does nothing to help the situation. The Tea Bagged Party does nothing to help the situation.....

This is pointless to even discuss! The GOP doesn't want to change shit! They want us to default so they can ruin Obama's presidency, and they are willing to destroy our reputation as a nation, and our world economy just to make a point! Period. Point blank!.

Oh and what happened to the Democrats??? They're not doing much better you know... ;) That's the whole problem. This isn't about Obama or the Democrats or the Republicans. This is about this country and until everybody realizes that, everyone loses.

As for the tax hikes, during the Clinton administration, Americans could afford tax hikes because the economy was doing well, but under Obama the economy is still in the tank, so we don't need tax hikes right now, esp. with millions still unemployed.

Oh and what happened to the Democrats??? They're not doing much better you know... ;) That's the whole problem. This isn't about Obama or the Democrats or the Republicans. This is about this country and until everybody realizes that, everyone loses.

As for the tax hikes, during the Clinton administration, Americans could afford tax hikes because the economy was doing well, but under Obama the economy is still in the tank, so we don't need tax hikes right now, esp. with millions still unemployed.

The economy was on a roll partly BECAUSE of the tax hikes! The rich are making more now than they were then!

And no, it's not about Republicans or Democrats.... Yes it is about the country, yet most of them don't even give a damn!

Now back to what I previously posted. The Republicans REALLY don't give a rats ass about the country! Only their own personal greedy, selfish agenda!

Taxing everyone sure might not solve the problem, but there was no justification for $400 Billion in tax cuts!!!! They should have been left where they were! Ok, fine, don't tax anyone, but you sure as hell don't allow anyone to bully you into adding to the debt!:mad:

Obama needs to grow a f-ing backbone! Since he's from the "hood," then damnit he needs to boss up, and start acting like it!

This horse any pony show is played out! And they all sit on the hill like this is some kind of game!

The economy was on a roll partly BECAUSE of the tax hikes! The rich are making more now than they were then!

And no, it's not about Republicans or Democrats.... Yes it is about the country, yet most of them don't even give a damn!

Now back to what I previously posted. The Republicans REALLY don't give a rats ass about the country! Only their own personal greedy, selfish agenda!

Taxing everyone sure might not solve the problem, but there was no justification for $400 Billion in tax cuts!!!! They should have been left where they were! Ok, fine, don't tax anyone, but you sure as hell don't allow anyone to bully you into adding to the debt!:mad:

Obama needs to grow a f-ing backbone! Since he's from the "hood," then damnit he needs to boss up, and start acting like it!

This horse any pony show is played out! And they all sit on the hill like this is some kind of game!

LOL@Obama comment... I don't see that happening... Just more stuttering (literally and figurately) out of him... And apparently the Democrats don't seem to care either. All they care about is getting their way as well. They won't settle for any short term solutions, so they're just as selfish. Let's not try to paint this as just the Republicans being out to get what they want. It's both of them.

You beat me to it. I was going to say the same thing in regards to Obama. I don't know what's the point of getting re-elected if you're too afraid to assert your position and get things done. Even if your term is a single term, you should have something to say for yourself as a real accomplishment at the end of it.

Yeah, I happen to be in between two tax brackets apparently. The state heavily taxes single folks. I ask my tax guy about it every year (if I don't do them myself) and he tells me that single professionals get taken to the cleaners. My salary fluctuates a bit because part of it is based on commissions that I receive. I take a cut from each project that I do in addition to my base salary. It's a different story with the federal gov't. What's so ironic about me being able to afford a condo? Yes, I can afford one because I live within my means and am responsible with my spending unlike our gov't and have very good credit. While I usually don't get anything or very little from the state I do get funds from the feds though. I'm talking about tax refunds by the way, not what I take home each paycheck.

Every year I pay taxes I usually end up getting audited and owing money and I'm in the bottom tax bracket (and I am also single), so I actually do understand what you're saying. What's ironic is conflating upper middle class with rich. I'm not saying that you pay too little in taxes (if anything you're probably paying too much), but the ones who can actually afford it (anyone whos yearly salary can be described with the term "million") isn't paying their fare share.

Whats also ironic is that if you had a kid or three (not to give anyone ideas) you'd probably get money back. For some reason the IRS just loves the little ones.......

Speaking of which, I have a nice idea to help the federal budget problem without raising taxes. It's time we rain in on some of the biggest welfare programs thats draining this country and the first should be cutting the pay and health benefits of Congress. Since everyone's living within their means, why not have them do the same. As should the President, State Governors and their legislatures.

Every year I pay taxes I usually end up getting audited and owing money and I'm in the bottom tax bracket (and I am also single), so I actually do understand what you're saying. What's ironic is conflating upper middle class with rich. I'm not saying that you pay too little in taxes (if anything you're probably paying too much), but the ones who can actually afford it (anyone whos yearly salary can be described with the term "million") isn't paying their fare share.

Whats also ironic is that if you had a kid or three (not to give anyone ideas) you'd probably get money back. For some reason the IRS just loves the little ones.......

Speaking of which, I have a nice idea to help the federal budget problem without raising taxes. It's time we rain in on some of the biggest welfare programs thats draining this country and the first should be cutting the pay and health benefits of Congress. Since everyone's living within their means, why not have them do the same. As should the President, State Governors and their legislatures.

I agree about the folks in Congress taking pay cuts and health benefits cuts, but even then folks would complain. Bloomberg has been taking a $1 salary for years now.

I've been thinking to just make contributions to a few places that I have memberships at like MoMA. Better for a place like that to get it than for it to go to Uncle Sam.

First off, way to pass of an EDITORIAL as actual news. The OPINION section consists of OPINIONS, not facts.

What are you quoting me for?? I didn't post it... IN any event so what if it is any opinion?

1) No, taxation doesn't solve everything, but it solves a whole lot. Our country needs revenue, and our rich can afford to help out a whole lot while cuts are imposed around the system.

You know you guys are so full of sh*t. All of these people talking about the rich should pay more, if you were in their shoes you sure as hell would not want to be overtaxed just because you have the money. That's the beauty of capitalism... If you have money you're supposed to be able to keep it and not have Uncle Sam digging in your back pocket trying to steal every dime to give it to this guy and that guy. :mad: :tdown:

Let's start with the Bush tax cuts. Perfect example of Republican idiocy: cut taxes on the rich, and then when funds dry up, blame the poor for "abusing the system." Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Oh, so those folks are just totally innocent of abusing the system right? Give me a break. It works both ways. The rich AND the poor scam the system, but you refuse to see it because you feel as if the poor are justified to do so because the rich have so much money. I don't understand why folks can't stand to see others with more when it is their money. It's the pinnacle of jealousy. My motto is if the next guy has more than me, more power to him. Instead of me trying to steal from him to make myself feel better I'd work my @ss off to attempt to get to where he is, although quite frankly I wouldn't even bother because I'm quite satisfied where I am right now. Leave the rich folks alone. It's their money not the government's money!

2) Our country needs to tax the rich to death. No doubt about it. Our top 1% are stupidly rich on money none of them earned, and as a result the general public has to suffer because John Boehner couldn't pass 5th grade math and doesn't realize that you need income and cuts to get rid of a deficit. Cutting public services to keep the rich at their low tax rate is the Republican model, and is dumb, simple as that. *Unless you make $275,000 a year and want lower taxes, in which case you probably feel satisfied it when you pass by the homeless man on the street, knowing you deserve more money than him.

I may not agree with how the rich spend their money, BUT it is THEIR money, whether they worked for it or it was passed down to them. The one thing I don't feel sorry for are those football and basketball players that spend like no tomorrow and lose everything because they're not accustomed to having money.

Thanks to the wars that our Republican president Bush got us into, the tax cuts that our Republican president Bush gave the rich, and the standstill in Washington that is the result of Tea Party Republican loonies, our country's funds are beyond dried up, and we're on the way to a default. But you know what, I'll ignore the fact that Republicans got us into this mess.

Oh just give up with the Republicans already. Bush has been out of office for quite some time now, so it's time for Obama to step up to the plate and stop blaming the Republicans for the past and take responsibility. The country's unemployment numbers haven't changed much since he's been in office and he has no one to thank but HIMSELF for that. And if the Democrats get elected in 2012 that'll mean that they'll have control for 8 years and if there's no changes, they'll still look to blame the Republicans. Obama was elected to make changes, NOT point fingers. That's what cowards do not leaders.

The default disaster is here, and unless we see the Tea Party loonies give and allow a compromise between parties, our country is cooked.

The Tea Party is the only party that understands the meaning of living within your means.

I'm sure you do. The OPINION section must really inform you too.

Oh please. Any newspaper that disagrees with your liberal views you take issue with. What a surprise... ;)

In the in the poor districts of the NYC WSJ doesn't exist ;)

Who's fault is that? Everything isn't made for everyone. That's the beauty of capitalism and the poor aren't supposed to have everything that those with more can afford to buy.

So let's see...the wall street journal, which supports the agenda of the rich and is owned by one of the most controversial and self serving rich guys on this PLANET, greenlights an article written by a writer that was hired and proofread by one of his handpicked editors which says that "punishing the rich" won't help...and you actually believe it?

you really are dumb.

we've been cutting taxes for the wealthy for the last 50 years and it has not done a god damned thing. history shows that. we've tried everything else, let's try raising them on the wealthy like we did in the past. seemed to work pretty good every time we've done it in the past.

or are you one of the nincompoops that seems to think the current course of action is "just peachy" and we should simply cut welfare and foodstamps, blame and disband unions, and let america keep borrowing its way to prosperity???

don't even consider the tea party credible. the tea party started as americans pissed off at the financial crisis which was caused by gross and illicit misconduct at governmental agencies and private corporations over the last 20 years. NO ONE really went to jail over it, and the REAL "tea party" wanted an investigation, arrests, and to take every illegally gained cent from those who did not earn it and give it back to the american people. the tea party today is another bullsh*t conservative movement by a bunch of incompetent idiots supported by the very same people who CAUSED the financial crisis. they support the same DEREGULATION, CORPORATE PROFITEERING, AND LOWER TAXES ON THE WEALTHY that caused the crisis in the first place. Anyone who supports them either doesn't have a clue about economics, or is delusional.

the rich have been laughing their way to the bank off regular americans for the past 30 years.

i see two possible solutions for this in the long term: take our money back (whether through taxes or brute force), or kill the rich and eat their children.

i prefer the nonviolent route, but in the end, either is viable.

My motto is if the next guy has more than me, more power to him. Instead of me trying to steal from him to make myself feel better I'd work my @ss off to attempt to get to where he is, although quite frankly I wouldn't even bother because I'm quite satisfied where I am right now. Leave the rich folks alone. It's their money not the government's money!

I may not agree with how the rich spend their money, BUT it is THEIR money. The one thing I don't feel sorry for are those football and basketball players that spend like no tomorrow and lose everything because they're not accustomed to having money.

It's not really not being accustomed to having money, as much as is not budgeting their money.... that's where the irresponsible get in trouble in the longrun..... but despite that....

Why does it have to be relegated to athletes; football & basketball players?

If you may not agree w/ how they spend their money, then why bother mentioning your lack of sorrow for them doing so... Sounds like you're not living up to your motto - sounds like you're hating on athletes....

Quite honestly, I don't give a damn if it's an athlete, some actor, some bernie madoff type of character, some other big wig, whatever.... These people are still rich (well except for madoff) - the same rich people you supposedly wanna work your ass off to get where they are.....

Archived