Soaking the Rich will not solve Spending Problem

R68 Subway Car

Uhm I have a question Mr. Subway Guy. What if we don't like the taste of rich kids? ._.

And i'm still waiting see a reason other than "It's their money" as to why we should not tax the rich who keep getting more and more breaks as the rest of us get less and less. I don't enjoy ganging up on any one particular group. But I can't see how anyone thinks its fair they continue to carry on as they do. Yet the government has to make cuts & stop wasteful spending. This is about principle. The rest of the country is falling apart but they get to sit on their yachts, high end clubs, high end apartments, ridiculously large real estates and cruise the city in expensive cars and car services. Enough is enough.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see that someone out here realizes what the original " Tea Party" stood for. It amazes me that some people don't see that the name has been co-opted by a bunch of imposters who have a completely different agenda. To add another point, if I may, Bush-lite should have raised taxes to fund HIS wars. I'm speaking primarily about the Iraq war which has cost America billions of dollars and countless wasted lives. Taxes were raised at the tail end of the Depression ( pay as you go) to fund World War 2 by FDR and I've yet to hear of an economist or historian fault FDR for taking that step. This present day debt crisis and corresponding recession is entirely the fault of the politicians of BOTH parties being beholden to Wall Street bankers and corporations yet the common man argues with his neighbor over which party's hands are cleaner. To my S.I. friend out there I sincerely feel your plight because for 35 of my working years I was in the same boat ( single taxpayer) BUT Federal taxes are lower today than they ever were. Now if only my President would grow a set and ditch his financial advisors ( Wall St) and if both parties would do what's right for the country instead of trying to impose their will on each other maybe we can get out of this hole BOTH parties have dug for the USA. In a multi-party government it only works if there is a consensus on what to do. In a word, compromise. Just my opinion. Carry on.

The Wall Street Journal is shit. I read that paper for a day and I got rid of it. It favors the rich, and never looks out for the poor, and not just that the news isn't that great either. After that one day I read The New York Times, and I still do. That is the best newspaper on the enter face of the UNITED STATES. You want to know why? They check their facts before they write, and there isn't any damn favoritism in The New York Times. That is what makes it a good newspaper.

Besides I have many damn f**king problems about the rich, and do you want to know why? They don't give a rat sh*t about us which is the Middle Class. All they want to do is kill it, and put everyone in the Lower Class. You want to know why? So they will be superior, and it seems like the rich never learn. The French Revolution happened when the rich became too rich and the poor became too poor. Watch a revolution take place in the US some place in this or the next decade, because the DAMN POOR, AND THE MIDDLE CLASS HAS ENOUGH OF THE UPPER CLASS SQUISHING US LIKE RATS.

First off, way to pass of an EDITORIAL as actual news. The OPINION section consists of OPINIONS, not facts.

1) No, taxation doesn't solve everything, but it solves a whole lot. Our country needs revenue, and our rich can afford to help out a whole lot while cuts are imposed around the system.

Let's start with the Bush tax cuts. Perfect example of Republican idiocy: cut taxes on the rich, and then when funds dry up, blame the poor for "abusing the system." Wrong, wrong, wrong.

2) Our country needs to tax the rich to death. No doubt about it. Our top 1% are stupidly rich on money none of them earned, and as a result the general public has to suffer because John Boehner couldn't pass 5th grade math and doesn't realize that you need income and cuts to get rid of a deficit. Cutting public services to keep the rich at their low tax rate is the Republican model, and is dumb, simple as that. *Unless you make $275,000 a year and want lower taxes, in which case you probably feel satisfied it when you pass by the homeless man on the street, knowing you deserve more money than him.

Thanks to the wars that our Republican president Bush got us into, the tax cuts that our Republican president Bush gave the rich, and the standstill in Washington that is the result of Tea Party Republican loonies, our country's funds are beyond dried up, and we're on the way to a default. But you know what, I'll ignore the fact that Republicans got us into this mess.

The default disaster is here, and unless we see the Tea Party loonies give and allow a compromise between parties, our country is cooked.

I'm sure you do. The OPINION section must really inform you too.

1) I never passed this article off as news.

2) The funds dry out because we have a Government of Rick Rosses (Democrats and Republicans) who blow money fast. Raising revenues will not solve that problem.

3) The rich pay their fair share! The top 1% percent pay 39 percent. The top 10% pay over 70%.

4) The rich that you hate so much WORKED for their money. They did not steal it.

5) Did you forget we were attacked on 9/11? That is why we got into war. BTW, I am for ending these wars now because we have weakened Al-Queda and killed Osama Bin Laden.

6) Obama got us into two more wars! We are in Libya and Yemen! I do not see you get angry over that.

7) Bush gave tax cuts to every American, not just the rich.

Andrew aka R68 being fair there are some rich folks/companies who did cheat and 'steal' & thus got rich using 'blood money.' Examples i.e savings and loans of the early 1990's and more recent the Madoff mega scandal. All types of people whether so called millionaries or someone from the street have abused the system whether it's not paying taxes or wasting public assitance. An example of companies getting away. I read how General Electric the former owners of the NBC/MSNBC networks owning the government tens of millions in back taxes. To me the rich 'scamming' taxpayers millions are just as bad as a guy in the hood whether in East NY or Chicago's South Side commiting fraud on food stamps, medicad, etc.

Two wrongs dont make a right.:confused: Whether from the hood or Wall Street scaming the system is just as bad as what Gangstas from Al Capone to John Gotti did.

2) The funds dry out because we have a Government of Rick Rosses (Democrats and Republicans) who blow money fast. Raising revenues will not solve that problem.

3) The rich pay their fair share! The top 1% percent pay 39 percent. The top 10% pay over 70%.

4) The rich that you hate so much WORKED for their money. They did not steal it.

5) Did you forget we were attacked on 9/11? That is why we got into war. BTW, I am for ending these wars now because we have weakened Al-Queda and killed Osama Bin Laden.

6) Obama got us into two more wars! We are in Libya and Yemen! I do not see you get angry over that.

Here is a chart that will solve the problems. I am sorry, but I really need to prove a point here. Here is how the chart works. You look at your income and you see what class you are in. For example my parents make $32,000 a year. That would put me, and my family in the Lower Middle Class.

Class_US.svg

Andrew aka R68 being fair there are some rich folks/companies who did cheat and 'steal' & thus got rich using 'blood money.' Examples i.e savings and loans of the early 1990's and more recent the Madoff mega scandal. All types of people whether so called millionaries or someone from the street have abused the system whether it's not paying taxes or wasting public assitance. An example of companies getting away. I read how General Electric the former owners of the NBC/MSNBC networks owning the government tens of millions in back taxes. To me the rich 'scamming' taxpayers millions are just as bad as a guy in the hood whether in East NY or Chicago's South Side commiting fraud on food stamps, medicad, etc.

Two wrongs dont make a right.:confused: Whether from the hood or Wall Street scaming the system is just as bad as what Gangstas from Al Capone to John Gotti did.

I am not denying that some rich individuals scammed the system. I know about ENRON and Bernie Madoff. There are scumbags who screw the system. However, the majority of rich individuals are not like this. I do not condone the scamming of the system by the rich or the poor.

It's not really not being accustomed to having money, as much as is not budgeting their money.... that's where the irresponsible get in trouble in the longrun..... but despite that....

Why does it have to be relegated to athletes; football & basketball players?

If you may not agree w/ how they spend their money, then why bother mentioning your lack of sorrow for them doing so... Sounds like you're not living up to your motto - sounds like you're hating on athletes....

Quite honestly, I don't give a damn if it's an athlete, some actor, some bernie madoff type of character, some other big wig, whatever.... These people are still rich (well except for madoff) - the same rich people you supposedly wanna work your ass off to get where they are.....

Well I mentioned them because they're a prime example of folks living beyond their means, which is a topic that we're also discussing here. Many of them come from humble beginnings and then they come into money and they start living flashy lifestyles. This is true of others as well like rap artists and such. My point is that there is no reason to paint the rich as the evil folks because some of them give handsome amounts of money back to those with less. There are two types of rich folks.... Those who are meant to have money and manage it properly and those who spend recklessly. Overtaxing them will accomplish nothing and those who are incompetent and can't manage their money will come back down to earth. Let's not punish those rich folks who donate large amounts of money to the arts and other good deeds.

And i'm still waiting see a reason other than "It's their money" as to why we should not tax the rich who keep getting more and more breaks as the rest of us get less and less. I don't enjoy ganging up on any one particular group. But I can't see how anyone thinks its fair they continue to carry on as they do. Yet the government has to make cuts & stop wasteful spending. This is about principle. The rest of the country is falling apart but they get to sit on their yachts, high end clubs, high end apartments, ridiculously large real estates and cruise the city in expensive cars and car services. Enough is enough.

Simple... The gov't keeps spending more and more. It's like an endless money pit and overtaxing the rich or any class for that matter will not solve the debt crisis that we have. Our gov't needs to learn how to work with a budget like millions of other Americans do every day and that includes the rich. There are plenty of rich folks who live very responsible financial lives, give back to their communities and do other great things that one cannot put a price tag on, so let's stop demonizing the rich as the class of evil because while some of them are reckless spenders, there are others that do great things for this country.

1) I purposely posted that above your quote so you wouldn't be confused, but you are anyway. And in any case, it's still not a factual article by any means.

That may be fine, but why not quote the person who quoted it instead of quoting it above my other quotes?

2) It's not overtaxation. The government takes in less money in revenue than ever in its history, in an era when the rich are richer than ever. Get your facts straight.

It most certainly is and there is no reason to overtax the rich or anybody else when the problem is waste and overspending by our gov't.

Secondly, what is this whole bs about how "you wouldn't wanna be taxed would you?" What are you smoking? How does that make it right? Do we not wanna hurt the rich's feelings? Tough for them. If I make it big then I'll suck it up and moan like they do, but they have to take a hit and pay their taxes.

Your statement reeks with jealousy. Why are you so jealous of these people and have such hatred because they have more than you? I find it interesting that you still didn't answer my question about whether or not you would mind being overtaxed just because you had more money.

3) "Leave the rich alone." Via exactly how wealthy are you? Because either you're a rich man or you're delusional. Your beloved rich do not pay their fair share in taxes, and you're a fool if you think that the poor "scamming the system" hurt our country more than the rich paying a tiny tax rate.

No, what I take issue with is your obsession with demonizing the rich while overlooking the misdeeds of the poor. They're both equally guilty, but you only focus on the wealthy because they have more. As for me I've said before that I'm a middle class working professional and I can sympathize with the rich because I am overtaxed as a single young male here in the State of NY and that shouldn't be. My hard earned tax dollars are going to support welfare deadbeats with 5 and 10 kids, but I'm sure you have no problem with that because they're poor, so let them keep scamming the system and lets keep overtaxing those with more to keep feeding their scamming to "even things out" is that the idea?? P.S. Just finished watching Hannity now... ;)

4) I haven't been impressed with Obama's presidency as he's really not Liberal enough, but it's pretty simple stuff. Bush's tax cuts, Bush's war, Bush's budget = Obama's problem.

Inherited problems or not he hasn't kept so many of his promises that he mentioned to "turn things around". He ran on a campaign of change and he's not changing anything because he's doing NOTHING. :)

5) "The meaning of living within your means" what kinda chickensh!t analysis is that? They're deranged racist loonies and if you challenge me on that I will give you the facts to prove it. I have no respect at all for those people.

Oh please. The Democrats have nothing in mind but to spend spend spend and look to take the rich and other working professionals to give back to the poor. What kind of living within your means crappola is that?? :confused:

6) Deflection ≠ acception

Deflection = Coward aka Obama ;) He's going to spend his entire presidency blaming Bush who left office some time ago. :(

The deficit is so big that cutting services that mostly benefit the poor and working and middle classes is insufficient to cover the deficits. The rich have to share the pain too. In fact, they ought to bear more of it since they CAUSED the financial crisis. Likewise, they benefit disproportionally from tax cuts. A 1% tax cut gives them thousands more dollars back than the same 1% tax cut gives everyone else.

Therefore while the government was going under with Bush's tax cuts and Obama's ill-advised extension of ALL of them, the rich were benefitting more from that than any other group.

That's not their fair share. Considering the top 1% makes 24% of the income in this nation.

The top 1% pay 39 percent of taxes, but earn 24% of income. In a progressive tax system, they are SUPPOSED to pay that much, if not more.

There is a baseline cost of living. Everything beyond that is gravy. Allowing the rich to profit the gravy and pass it to their offspring creates income disparity over time. It is why, with the exception of post reconstruction America, the United States has NEVER supported this. It's bad economics. There is no more wasteful store of money than profit for rich individuals. It does not facilitate ANY of the types of responsible spending necessary to support a market based economy.

Also, a 2005 article noted that the next 9% actually paid higher tax rates than the top 1%. That's not right either.

They did not work for their money. They paid their workers less by outsourcing jobs and selling America out, or working in shadow industries like hedge funds and finance which contributed to the global collapse. And while the ship was sinking they made sure they got paid on the BACKS OF THE TAXPAYERS. That's pretty well stealing.

And all our reaction to 9/11 has done is embolden and empower those who want to destroy this nation. It has destroyed our resources. The terrorists don't want to kill Americans. They want to destroy the nation inside out by making us waste resources. They've even admitted as much. And we have played right into their hands for a decade.

The best response to 9/11 would have been to UNILATERALLY locate and kill Osama Bin Laden - not nation build in Afghanistan, not worry about the Taliban, not invade Iraq seeking WMD's, not collaborate with Pakistan...the best response would have been go in, find Bin Laden, and publicly kill him and anyone he was found in cohorts with. Then return to the US and build the Trade Center back exactly as it was with a memorial in the basement to those who lost their lives.

Pointing the finger at someone else doesn't make you less guilty. Kid you have got to stop thinking of this like a f*cking football game.

"Holding, defense"

"Waaa! But that was a false start!"

Just because Obama isn't contributing to the solution does not make anything Bush did OK. Between the two of them, they have allowed the demise of this nation to pick up RAPID SPEED.

Again, so little as a 1% tax cut benefits the rich more than any other economic group.

It gives a person making 1M a year $10,000 additional money. $10,000 that is assuredly NOT reinvested into the American workforce or any productive spending activity.

However, a person making 25K a year only sees $250 more. Enough to buy a consumer good made in a foreign country for sh*t wages since our government doesn't see fit to protect the American workforce and a standard of living for our citizenry.

Well I mentioned them because they're a prime example of folks living beyond their means, which is a topic that we're also discussing here. Many of them come from humble beginnings and then they come into money and they start living flashy lifestyles. This is true of others as well like rap artists and such. My point is that there is no reason to paint the rich as the evil folks because some of them give handsome amounts of money back to those with less.

There are two types of rich folks.... Those who are meant to have money and manage it properly and those who spend recklessly. Overtaxing them will accomplish nothing and those who are incompetent and can't manage their money will come back down to earth. Let's not punish those rich folks who donate large amounts of money to the arts and other good deeds.

Well, I'm not on that "the rich is evil" bandwagon....

but the parts of your post I bolded.... are you kiddin me....

Rappers & athletes do not come from humble beginnings... you are dead wrong with that part of the statement.... I don't know where you got that from; all you gotta do is pick up a copy of slam, xxl, or sports illustrated to find out that aint the case.... far as rappers, lot of these guys come from f**ked up beginnings (yeah you have the posers, quite a bit of em actually... but the majority of rappers aint come from a nice, or even a decent lifestyle, as kids growin up)....

Living beyond your means involves spending (and/or borrowing) money at a rate with which you can't maintain the lifestyle with which you're tryna live.... That's not the same as havin a lot of money (actually earning it) & blowin it on BS.....

....and Oh, I believe you believe there are two types of rich folks.... nice way of doctoring up what you really wanna to say regarding that, though....

those who are meant to have money... yeah right....

Can someone here defending the rich answer something legitimately and honestly???

And no bullsh*t...answer the f*cking questions directly and truthfully:

How the hell do you think leaving the rich out of any pain and suffering (and there WILL be pain and suffering when you are talking about 14 trillion dollars of debt) will be good for the American economy???

Do you REALLY think that the rich will really create jobs for the working class if they are allowed to pocket more money? The same way they have failed to do so for the past 30 years while the economy relied on BUBBLES and BORROWING to kind-of-sort-of sustain itself???

Do you REALLY think that the rich are so blameless and good that everyone ELSE should have to suffer?

You all say "cut spending" well get your hands in there and GET DIRTY. WHAT LINE ITEMS are you going to drop or cut out of the budget???

-Are you going to be the one to cut education budgets...which disproportionately affects the poor and middle classes which cannot afford to send their kids to private or parochial school? Do you really think that FURTHER contributing to the declining education standards in this country is going to do ANYTHING for American competitiveness in the GLOBAL economy???

-Do you really think that slicing welfare and other entitlements is going to plug 14 trillion dollars of deficit? You do realize that all of these programs that upset people so much and which "poor people abuse" are a mere DROP IN THE BUCKET and won't do ANYTHING to stem the tide of deficits even if cut entirely?

-Do you really think its feasible to cut federal aid to states, which is typically one of the first things reduced with belt tightening, when the majority of the states themselves also have significant budget woes?

-Do you REALLY want to tempt fate and see what happens when this does occur, and cuts are made to necessary and vital public safety initiatives like police and fire services as states react to reduced federal dollars?

-Or should we just cut funding for infrastructure and maintenance and watch the crumbling infrastructure crumble some more...and watch the lawsuits pile up for "wrongful death" when another I-35 bridge disaster occurs???

-Or we could go the easy way and end a lot of tax credits and deductions. This would disproportionately harm the poor and working class, who would now fall behind what used to be a WELL BELOW AVERAGE standard of living in this nation. Then, they would have to borrow even MORE from private industry just to pay basic living expenses, especially the poor if you cut their social safety nets. Then they would in turn be unable to pay back that debt, creating another CREDIT BUBBLE AND CRASH, followed by another crisis.

And while this is all going on, as you suggest (these, after all, are "cutting spending" alternatives that are MORE than a drop in the bucket), the rich will continue laughing their way to the bank and jerking off in their yachts.

And you're SERIOUSLY f*cking telling me that you don't think THEY - the "business leaders" and "politicians" who ALLOWED this to happen - who were PAID THE BIG BUCKS TO MAKE SURE IT DIDN'T - should walk away BLAMELESS while everyone else suffers through reduced standard of living, increased crime, decreased security...and the rich continue to employ private security, send their kids to private school in car services...all allowed by a system that DOES NOT require them to pay their fair share in taxes, and allows executives to take home HUNDREDS of times what their workers do?

If you still think that after ALL of the information I've laid out for you here, after ALL of the information readily accessible in ANY objective history book...then you are one of the dumbest f*cking people on this planet.

Well not meant to go off topic since we talking money and rich vs poor here a perfect song for this thread lol that should lighten things up.

"For Love of Money" The O-Jays' Most recently used as the TV Theme for the Donald Trump Show aka "The Apprentice."

Even over 35 years after it's first release still a legit song here in 2011.

Ok Guys back to your regular scheduled debate.

That "trickle down" thing some people are waiting for ? You know, don't tax the wealthy because they create jobs ? Well that trickle down thing you'll feel is the filthy rich pissing on you true believers while they head off to the country club. Taxes are lower than they've ever been so where are the jobs the rich have created with their money? They took that money and hoarded it or invested it elsewhere.They damn sure haven't re-invested it in America. I remember when it was the big thing for states and cities to give tax breaks to corporations to create or keep jobs here. WTF happened to the money they saved? Answer: the corporations kept that money and created nothing. Meanwhile the states and cities lost all of that potential tax revenue and we, the common folk, have to make it up or suffer reduced services. I was watching a program recently where they pointed out what programs should be cut or curtailed if the US doesn't raise the debt ceiling.. Two things stood out to me. One is that there are hundreds of programs on the chopping block that the true believers think constitute waste and/or fraud. If Obama had to make a choice in what to cut AT LEAST 58% of the country would be affected one way or another. Mass transit, education, aid for law enforcement, hospitals, health care, disaster relief, crop subsidies, FEMA, VA hospitals. The list goes on and on. The funny part is that many of the true believers districts are most at risk and could be hurt the hardest. The second was that these are THE SAME PROGRAMS THAT CONGRESS authorized because their constituents asked for them. These aren't programs requested by Obama, Bush, Reagan, Clinton, Truman, or any other president. These are mainly congressional programs that the public clamored for through the years. Things like the Food and Drug administration,FAA, Centers for Disease Control. Things that the public counts on and Congress authorized and is supposed to fund. I just can't see how any political party or faction can knowingly hurt the people they claim to represent just to prove a point. That seems to be the program of the so called " Tea Party". Whether you get your news or opinions from Fox,ABC CBS,NBC, The NY Times, CNN, WSJ,MSNBC, BBC, or Current all I ask is that you read between the lines before forming an opinion on this issue. If you decide that you still agree with the true believers so be it. To me the true believers are just like wanna be rappers, bballers, etc. They just wanna be rich but don't have a clue. In my world they're called sellouts. Just my opinion. Carry on.

Well, I'm not on that "the rich is evil" bandwagon....

but the parts of your post I bolded.... are you kiddin me....

Rappers & athletes do not come from humble beginnings... you are dead wrong with that part of the statement.... I don't know where you got that from; all you gotta do is pick up a copy of slam, xxl, or sports illustrated to find out that aint the case.... far as rappers, lot of these guys come from f**ked up beginnings (yeah you have the posers, quite a bit of em actually... but the majority of rappers aint come from a nice, or even a decent lifestyle, as kids growin up)....

I think you and I clearly have a different understanding of the definition humble, so let me clarify. I certainly was not referring to these guys having an upbringing that's anywhere near anything but f*cked up AND poor. The term can also mean modest, which is clearly what you understood, but I wasn't using it that way, as it has other meanings as well (i.e. low in rank, status, importance, etc.)

....and Oh, I believe you believe there are two types of rich folks.... nice way of doctoring up what you really wanna to say regarding that, though....

those who are meant to have money... yeah right....

I'm sorry if this pisses you, but you and I know it's true. There are folks who are brought up in money and thus are used to having it and those who come into money that grew up with nothing. Kind of relates to the saying "You can paint a pig with lipstick, but it's still a pig". lol Many of those athletes don't have a clue about economics. They run around playing basketball or football or whatever and when their career is over and they actually have to start living off of their money they don't know how to because they know nothing about making their money work for them.

To Subway Guy: I'll be willing to address you when you stop assuming that those of us defending not overtaxing the rich believe that the rich do X Y and Z. I never said anything about the rich creating tons of jobs. What I said was the gov't overspends and wastes and I gave the example of Borough President Molinaro spending 700k for a fish tank to be on display at the Staten Island Terminal. This is the type of waste that I'm talking about and if you don't think that is waste then I'd like to hear your definition of it. That's money that could be used for educational purposes. That's the type of waste that must be CUT and why the rich AND anyone else for that matter don't need their taxes raised. There is plenty of fat to be cut before we go talking about cutting core necessities like education, etc. and you should certainly know that, unless you're in denial about our government wasting our tax dollars foolishly.

You have to be really, really naive to think that the rich are good people who have their money because they deserve it. Look around you. Do you think a Wall Street CEO deserves to be paid exponentially more than the plumber who works 7 days a week to try to feed his kids? Hint: no.

Who are any of us to be the judge or the jury on how much someone should earn? It's called life and life isn't fair, especially in a capitalist society. You want fairness? Maybe you should look at Cuba and their wonderful ideology for spreading the wealth and then see what you think of their "equal" economic society where 90% of the people live in slums. Driving around in cars from 1950's doesn't exactly impress me.

Ooh right the wonderful rich. I'd forgotten what great people they were.

You can't remember anything great about them because you're too busy calling for them to be overtaxed so that you can "settle" the score with them because they earn more than you think they should. I didn't know that there was a cap to what someone could earn in this country, but you clearly think so.

It simply isn't though. Never have we had taxes so low, not in our of our or our parents' generations. It's unheard of and is pretty helpful to understand why we have such debt.

You act is if we should be handing over our entire paychecks to Uncle Sam because there is so little money for the government to take care of the American people. Please. That is such BS. There is plenty of money for the government to use. The problem is they use it for the wrong things and until you acknowledge that you'll keep harping on taxing the rich and this class and that class to make up for the government's addiction to taxpayer dollars.

You really are an asshøle. First the elitism with express buses, now this garbage? Trying to color me as jealous now?

Here's a lesson for you so you shut up with this jealousy bullsh!t. I'm not jealous of anybody. I know what money feels like. I've got two sides of my family: the Grand Concourse in the Bronx side, and the rich construction business in New Jersey side. I've been to the mansion in NJ and I've been to the tiny apartment. Let me tell you, the mansion's nicer. But I have no envy for that. I'm somewhere in between, living in a middle class apartment, and perfectly fine with that. So you can quit this noise about jealousy. I've experienced both sides of life, and I have no envy for anybody in this world.

Here's my answer: it's not overtaxation. When it becomes overtaxation, you let me know now.

Funny how everytime I speak the truth you resort to the low blows. LOL I think it's hilarious because the truth hurts and you know what I'm saying is true. What I can't understand is why can't you just live and let live? If you were poor then I could understand your pent up anger, but you seem to be living quite fine, so who gives a flying f*ck if the rich have more money in their pockets? Your outrage should be at the government and not at a class of your follow Americans because the government is supposed to here to care for us, not rob us of every damn cent we earn in income because they can't manage our tax dollars accordingly. You want redistribution of wealth? Go tell your local representatives to stop spending like drunken sailors.

No wonder you're so misinformed. You watch a fictional tv show that passes for news and expect to be informed.

Yeah, God forbid anybody watches Fox News. They are automatically airheads. I for one can watch various news sources and still make an educational conclusion. You on the other hand are blinded by the Democratic BS that they're really for the middle class, which couldn't be any further from the truth. We need to get rid of the Republicans and the Democrats and start from scratch, because both parties are worthless. :tdown:

You're emblematic of the whole Republican party. You think your taxes are just sent to some family in the slums, and you feel cheated.

No, I'm emblematic of a system in which everyone that can take care of themselves does and stops looking for handouts.

Here's a lesson in economics. Taxes are shared. Your beloved express buses are from taxes. The local bus is from taxes. Transit is from taxes. Education is from taxes. The NYPD are from taxes. The FDNY is from taxes. I won't even get into health care and welfare. Pretty much every thing you take for granted in this world is the result of taxation. Learn a bit about where your money goes before letting some airhead dictate to you the usual Republican talking points.

I'm sorry but overtaxation on one group of people is not my idea of sharing taxes, but that's clearly what you think the sharing of taxes is.

I think you and I clearly have a different understanding of the definition humble, so let me clarify. I certainly was not referring to these guys having an upbringing that's anywhere near anything but f*cked up AND poor. The term can also mean modest, which is clearly what you understood, but I wasn't using it that way, as it has other meanings as well (i.e. low in rank, status, importance, etc.)

I'm not gonna partake in a semantical argument....

I'm sorry if this pisses you, but you and I know it's true. There are folks who are brought up in money and thus are used to having it and those who come into money that grew up with nothing. Kind of relates to the saying "You can paint a pig with lipstick, but it's still a pig". lol

Many of those athletes don't have a clue about economics. They run around playing basketball or football or whatever and when their career is over and they actually have to start living off of their money they don't know how to because they know nothing about making their money work for them.

You reply with this, as if I'm defending athletes that don't budget their money & save up for the future.... I'm not disputing that...

the part in bold, however, is what you're doing a good job with dancing around with the wording with..... Enough beating around the bush, since you don't wanna come out & say it, I'll do your bidding for you...

- "folks who are brought up in money" = white

(those rich people you supposedly wanna bust your ass & be like)

- "those who come into money that grew up with nothing" = black

(which is why you brought up athletes in this discussion in the first place & you know it....)

keep it 100....

Here's a very honorable semi-solution I recently read about about my favorite video game company - Nintendo!

An excerpt:

Following the 3DS price cut announcement yesterday, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata said he is taking a 50 percent pay cut.

Last year, Iwata reportedly made a base salary of $770,000 with performance-based bonuses that could see him earn over $2 million. Other Nintendo executives, including designer Shigeru Miyamoto, are also taking pay cuts of 20 and 30 percent.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/118/1184948p1.html?fb_ref=.TjPBsW-QTaA.like&fb_source=home_multiline

^^ The rest of it.

I'm kinda tired of being screwed over by the world as it is, I'm tired of being rejected for a job because I'm not as "experienced" as the next best person, I'm tired of my personal misfortunes this shit has got to stop with this country

I'm not gonna partake in a semantical argument....

You reply with this, as if I'm defending athletes that don't budget their money & save up for the future.... I'm not disputing that...

the part in bold, however, is what you're doing a good job with dancing around with the wording with..... Enough beating around the bush, since you don't wanna come out & say it, I'll do your bidding for you...

- "folks who are brought up in money" = white

(those rich people you supposedly wanna bust your ass & be like)

- "those who come into money that grew up with nothing" = black

(which is why you brought up athletes in this discussion in the first place & you know it....)

keep it 100....

lol... If I really meant whites I could've just said that and the same thing about blacks, but there are certainly plenty of non-white folks who have money and come from money.

The same thing goes for athletes. Many of them aren't black, but that's an interesting analysis.

But yeah, I'm quite satisfied living the life I have now as a middle class guy. I've gotten the chance to do and see things that many folks will never be able to do in this lifetime or in any lifetime for that matter, so if I died today I would die a happy man, although I would hope to be around for many years to come, as life has been good so far, despite the curve balls I've been thrown. :cool:

If I really meant whites I could've just said that and the same thing about blacks

lol...

That's easy to say now after I already laid the cards out on the table for ya.....

....but there are certainly plenty of non-white folks who have money and come from money.

heh... with these shots you threw in there, we'd have never known...

- those who come into money that grew up with nothing

- those who are meant to have money

- The one thing I don't feel sorry for are those football and basketball players that spend like no tomorrow and lose everything because they're not accustomed to having money.

The hypocrisy in that little motto of yours you mentioned, is the main thing I wanted to bring to light here... Don't tell us it's more power to the next guy that has more than you, when you make little statements in your commentaries otherwise to try to discredit & belittle those rich blacks who you feel aren't accustomed to having money... who originally grew up w/ nothin & now are rich SOB's... those you may not feel obtained their riches by doin much of anything (which can be said for your average baller or your average paris hilton type who just happened to have a rich father)....

the silence of the "defenders of the rich" in this thread in response to my detailed, specific, and clear history-backed posts on the topic...is deafening

the race card is irrelevant to this dispute. it's all about those with money influencing policy to benefit their narrow worldview and a lot of people without money buying into it because they either like to think that they are rich (with their <$80,000 / year income, which is NOWHERE near the rich threshold), or because they hope that someday they will be, and they want to pad the loft nice and good for when they get there.

Of course getting there is the American dream. You used to wake up and realize it was possible. Now you wake up, and realize it is impossible, and it stays a dream until the day you die...average just like the majority of us.

Get with it.

eh, it's just as relevant as this whole rich vs poor debate that these types of threads always get spun into.... You already knew what to expect when the words "wall street journal" hit ya before even reading this thread... That, and the obviousness of the statement in the thread title (to be honest) was enough for me to not even bother taking the article seriously...

I already pointed out what I needed to in that particular side discussion though (which there are more than one of in this thread), so my bidding here is pretty much done on that note....

Archived