Returning

ArticExpress

Last year i resigned, in good standing with Mta, to pursue other career goals. I am now thinking of returning to MTA. I was doing great with this new company, however the economy is so weak that the company had to let me go. Finding a great paying job with benefits has really been a challenge especially in upstate ny. What are my chances of getting my job back with the same seniority? I quit last August. Has anyone done this or know of someone who was in the same boat as I am. thanks for your input:)(MTA)

I remember I was thinking about doing that a few years ago and from what I understand you MAY be able to get your job back if you put in your request to come back within a Year of the time you resigned. However they can take you back only if your postion is open. If they don't take you in a year then your a new Employee or may have to take another test.

The best thing for you to do is call your (MTA) Company's Human Resource Dept.

I was going to Leave New York City Transit for Metro North back in 2004. However after thinking about it I realised I was happy with NYCT at the time. I was a C/R on the (6) Line and loved coming to work. Now if I had to make the same decision I may have left. I like where I'm at but the job is not what it use to be.

thanks for the input. I know what you mean about the job. I was on for over sixteen years, it really got to me mentally and physically. However if you can pick a good route, long lunch, reasonable layover time, and not too hectic you can tolerate alot more. Miss my coworkers not the bull you have to take from administration and lunatic passengers that try your very last fiber of patience. However, I am on the other side of the coin now. What I find out here are low wages , little to no health benefits, no vacation time - and this is with some schooling! Although mentally and physically i feel great my wallet is hurting:) I became an emt ( great job but low wages:() I have a couple of options, continue to paramedic (still low wages) and pay for my nursing school that way (great pay, long hours) , or return to TA and pay for nursing school that way- eventually leaving again! Yup you read right- I don't plan on retiring from transit just so that after three years I can drop dead from all the stress and harrassment from the job. Then again it could be just me and my outlook on the whole thing. I knew a driver I used to call Smiley. What a great guy. He , as his name implies, always had a smile on- no matter what management threw his way. He was very loved by his passengers and coworkers. One day He comes out of the bosses office and tells us he was suspended for a week (forgot what about) that man had the hugest smile on his face. "So Smilely what you gonna do" i asked worried for him. "Oh, I'm going to the carribean with my family see you guys when I get back!" Now that is a great attitude and the only way to survice TA.

thanks for the input. I know what you mean about the job. I was on for over sixteen years, it really got to me mentally and physically. However if you can pick a good route, long lunch, reasonable layover time, and not too hectic you can tolerate alot more. Miss my coworkers not the bull you have to take from administration and lunatic passengers that try your very last fiber of patience. However, I am on the other side of the coin now. What I find out here are low wages , little to no health benefits, no vacation time - and this is with some schooling! Although mentally and physically i feel great my wallet is hurting:) I became an emt ( great job but low wages:() I have a couple of options, continue to paramedic (still low wages) and pay for my nursing school that way (great pay, long hours) , or return to TA and pay for nursing school that way- eventually leaving again! Yup you read right- I don't plan on retiring from transit just so that after three years I can drop dead from all the stress and harrassment from the job. Then again it could be just me and my outlook on the whole thing. I knew a driver I used to call Smiley. What a great guy. He , as his name implies, always had a smile on- no matter what management threw his way. He was very loved by his passengers and coworkers. One day He comes out of the bosses office and tells us he was suspended for a week (forgot what about) that man had the hugest smile on his face. "So Smilely what you gonna do" i asked worried for him. "Oh, I'm going to the carribean with my family see you guys when I get back!" Now that is a great attitude and the only way to survice TA.

Great post,yeah I was reading about the low salaries for emt's/paramedics in the paper yesterday. They do make you work mandatory overtime,not sure if it is worth it as fatigue and burn out set in. I think they are having trouble finding new recruits.

Drivers still speak about that in KB. Some do just that, and the bosses don't like it either. When the driver with time gets 1 week in the streets, they say good I'll take it starting such and such time, see you when i get back from wherever. The bosses then try to give them less days, and the driver replies, No!, I'm taking the week you gave me.

The stress, well guess you haven't read my rants. Here are 2 classics: http://nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=910 and http://nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=479

My goal right now is to do the Min and maybe freeze my Pension. I know this job can kill you in more ways then one with the Stress and Chemicals.

Yup, that was my idea as well. However after seriously hurting my back from driving my doctors told me either i go back to driving and end up on the operating table or quit and pursue something else. Well I quit. Froze my pension and started another career. When you select that other career make sure it's in an industry that pays well and is recession proof, like health care.

Keep your chin up while you're doing your're time . Go out enjoy the weather with a brisk walk, this helped me greatly as a driver. I would walk to my relief points(in good weather:)) and be able to take the bull that was shoveled my way. This of course is not a guarrentee that it will work at all times, but it helps. Joke around with your coworkers, laughing is proven to improve your health (i am in health care now) stay around upbeat people not people that will bring you down with all their negativity and drama..... although they may prove to be very entertaining at times:D

Joke around with your coworkers, laughing is proven to improve your health (i am in health care now) stay around upbeat people not people that will bring you down with all their negativity and drama..... although they may prove to be very entertaining at times:D

We do alot of that. We even joke about the negativity (i.e. making fun of passenger stupidity etc....).........

Great post,yeah I was reading about the low salaries for emt's/paramedics in the paper yesterday. They do make you work mandatory overtime,not sure if it is worth it as fatigue and burn out set in. I think they are having trouble finding new recruits.

Gotta say I really LOVE what I do now. I look forward to going to work and hearing for our call signal to go off. We come alive . Helping people and seeing their respect and appreciation for what we do is a feeling I can't explain. Its a rush , a high almost.

We hate quiet days with no calls, the day goes by slow. But we make the most of it by cooking, playing laser tag (yeah you read right), gossiping or just napping.

The calls we look forward to are mvc (motor vehicle collisions), serious traumas, and DCAP, BTLS,,,, deformities, contusions, abrasions, punctuations(bullets wounds, knives etc), burns, lacerations etc....B)

Yes people can burn out, you gotta really want to do this for the right reasons or you wont make it in this industry. Many like myself use emt as a stepping stone in our health career to better pay and positions.

We have a morbid sense of humor, and joke about our calls to make it through. But for me yes it is worth it, not burned out yet, they say it takes five years for that. Hopefully I'll be a nurse by then with a whole new set of problems and worries:D

Archived