Just a thought on the R32

The fact that these cars will probably last to the age of 54 is unbelievable. It is a testament to it's incredible design. It may be simple, but as the saying goes, Keep it Simple, Stupid. Just think of the many cars introduced after it that are are now gone. The men and women who built these cars are incredible. I do not car what you think of this series of cars. You just have to respect it's incredible durability.

The fact that these cars will probably last to the age of 54 is unbelievable. It is a testament to it's incredible design. It may be simple, but as the saying goes, Keep it Simple, Stupid. Just think of the many cars introduced after it that are are now gone. The men and women who built these cars are incredible. I do not car what you think of this series of cars. You just have to respect it's incredible durability.

Yeah, They Built these cars to last and I am damn proud that the men and women who built these cars in 1964 did the best job they can, but we don't get that here now since most our steel is from other countries, But Budd Car Co. is one of the Best Along with ACF and Pullman Standard, They built good subway cars for our subway system, But trust me a lot of people don't care about it as much as Real Railfans do, But everyone has the right to what they say

I agree, however, it's the simple things about NTT or R46 onward for that matter that make them far more enjoyable or painless to deal with than the R32s. Ever tried getting on a crowded R32 and have the doors and suddenly have them close on you because you didn't even hear a closing chime? On that same car, did you notice there's next to nowhere to hold on? It's pretty incredible they've lasted this long, but now it's just ridiculous. In the 21st century we still shouldn't need really small hand-cranked signs (and that goes for R62s and R68s as well), trains with what appear to be sliced up floors, or even having to want to not use a line because its trains are relatively decrepit.

The R32s might beat the Hi-V Gibbs record as the oldest car. If that happens all I have to say is wow. For everyone all I can say is keep filming and taking photos of the R32s.

Hi-V Gibbs lasted about 44 years until retirement. BMT "Q" lasted about 66 years before retirement. BMT "Q" currently holds the record for longest car in service before retirement.

All thank's to the GOH program! B)

Nope

The only reason we have R32s still running is because the R44s had rusty frames, if the R44s didn't have structural problems like that, those R32s would be down in the sea. Those last 40 R42s are another car type that got lucky that everything else crashed down around them and they just happened to be still there. It dont matter how well they are running, adn theyre just barely adequate for the (C), I believe if the (MTA) had a choice, they woulda tossed em out with the phase 2 sets and ran R44s on the (A) and (C) so then they can just switch cars much easier if they need to. It remains to be seen if the (MTA) could ahve still operated the (Mx) (V) and (W) without the 32s and 42s. One of those routes. They probably could have done the first plan, kept the (Mx) via Nassau, and still ran the (V) but at that point the (F) would have been all R160s and probably half the (R) would have been 160s as well, and the (N) and (Q) would ahve had a decent amount of R68s and R68As to make it work.

I am one of those weird birds that absolutely adore the R32. I love their clunkiness, their grabbing brakes, their sound at speed, their fast pickup, and most of all their great railfan windows.

When I was riding the E train regularly between WTC and 7th Ave back in the 90s the R32's ruled the line. From the WTC to the area around Broadway and 53rd I could have taken a number of lines: the (1), the (R), etc, but nothing compared to that ride on an R32.

Keep 'rm rolling!!!!!!

They had a general overhaul and were a relatively big order of 600 or so. Approx. 2/3 of them are retired with 1/3 in service. Other orders were smaller, the r38 for instance and Budd was on to something with the all stainless steel design. Without the GOH in the late 1980s to early 1990s, I think all would be retired today. And of course if the R44s were built like the R46s and didn't rust, the R32s would have been retired last year.

They are very durable cars but I think a bit overpraised by some of the R32 fans.

The funny thing about that is while the R32s are overpraised by many fans I'm having trouble finding any R16 fans. I mean there are some here that like R44s, but R16s I think I'm the only one here that likes those cars despite their history.

It's those weird angled interiors mixed with vertical exteriors. Just plain ugly.

i heard today from a very good source that the 32s are going to replace the 42s on the (J) after they get a overhaul. i think the 42s days are numbered. also the (A) may be getting some 160s soon. they have been testing them on the line and there have been no problems so far.

i heard today from a very good source that the 32s are going to replace the 42s on the (J) after they get a overhaul. i think the 42s days are numbered. also the (A) may be getting some 160s soon. they have been testing them on the line and there have been no problems so far.

I'd be suprised if they do that,i'v seen a few R42 sets with their roofs and fronts painted.but hearing that an R42 set was retired,it seems they may be on their last legs.

Guest lance25

That answers my question. At least the (MTA) isn't planning on keeping the R42s until the R179s roll in. Stevie Wonder could tell you those cars are on their last legs.

As to the (A) getting R160s, I'll believe it when I see it, though if it does happen, that will mean they (LIPA) finally fixed that power problem.

That answers my question. At least the (MTA) isn't planning on keeping the R42s until the R179s roll in. Stevie Wonder could tell you those cars are on their last legs.

As to the (A) getting R160s, I'll believe it when I see it, though if it does happen, that will mean they (LIPA) finally fixed that power problem.

There has been a lot of track overhaul in the rockaways, it rides real smooth in many places now.

The R32 was built to last. As I heard, they were built to last 100 years. I have a video of an R32 (A) train RFW uptown of CPW, and in the background we were discussing about the life of the R32s.

Video will be uploaded soon.

Well keep a eye out because they have been sending a 160 test train from 207 to the rockaways on a weekly basis.

Well keep a eye out because they have been sending a 160 test train from 207 to the rockaways on a weekly basis.

im curious to know who's R160s will go to 207...certainly cant be CI because their R160's are high in mileage as many ppl have been saying. I doubt Jamaica wants to give up theirs for R46's/R32's again.

Archived