Just a thought on the R32

Well keep a eye out because they have been sending a 160 test train from 207 to the rockaways on a weekly basis.

im curious to know who's R160s will go to 207...certainly cant be CI because their R160's are high in mileage as many ppl have been saying. I doubt Jamaica wants to give up theirs for R46's/R32's again.

All because a test train is out there doesn't mean a swap is imminent. TA should ensure that all equipment should be able to run safely everywhere (with the obvious exception of 75 footers on the BMT Jamaica)

i heard today from a very good source that the 32s are going to replace the 42s on the (J) after they get a overhaul. i think the 42s days are numbered. also the (A) may be getting some 160s soon. they have been testing them on the line and there have been no problems so far.
R32's are on property til 2017 now, how will the (C) manage with lesser spares if R32's go to the (J)(Z)? whats good with the 14 R42's that Jamaica left over? cant the (MTA) use those? see this is why the (MTA) shouldnt have got scrap happy with the R40M's and R32's in 2009 there were 256 R32's now they are down to 216? in 2008 (MTA) had 356 R32's was it necessary to retire 140 cars?

R32's are on property til 2017 now, how will the (C) manage with lesser spares if R32's go to the (J)(Z)? whats good with the 14 R42's that Jamaica left over? cant the (MTA) use those? see this is why the (MTA) shouldnt have got scrap happy with the R40M's and R32's in 2009 there were 256 R32's now they are down to 216? in 2008 (MTA) had 356 R32's was it necessary to retire 140 cars?

Those 14 R42 that Jamaica left over are retired,so those cars are dead storeage.i wouldn't say the TA was scrap happy,they were retiring cars that

were reaching 40 years and being replaced by new R160 subway cars.

Those 14 R42 that Jamaica left over are retired,so those cars are dead storeage.i wouldn't say the TA was scrap happy,they were retiring cars that

were reaching 40 years and being replaced by new R160 subway cars.

yeah but they could of kept 20 R32's for work cars instead of using revenue cars for work cars -__-

Totally agreed, plus along with what someone already mentioned with the slanted interiors, it just looks weird.

As for the rest of this thread: I'll just say that I'm glad the R32s are still around as they are the last trains left on B-division [other than the r42s] that have the rfw. So some may hate the R32 for various reasons, I like it since it is the last unique thing on the rails [R46-68 are similar, R143-160a/b are similar]. Once they are gone, there will be no diversity left and the system will be very boring. "Be happy for the little things."

The R32 was built to last. As I heard, they were built to last 100 years.

You heard WRONG

The funny thing about that is while the R32s are overpraised by many fans I'm having trouble finding any R16 fans. I mean there are some here that like R44s, but R16s I think I'm the only one here that likes those cars despite their history.

Partially because the R16s predate a good 75% of the thread. Pre-infantile amnesia precludes me from remembering the R16s personally....

Ever tried getting on a crowded R32 and have the doors and suddenly have them close on you because you didn't even hear a closing chime?

Chimes are relatively new - they began with the R44. Before that, people managed quite well to get on to trains without chimes and without being crushed. You had to be alert and know what you were doing and where you were. Rather than having everything spoon-fed, passengers were expected to be observant and to know their surroundings (i.e. that the doors on the train are going to close).

In the 21st century we still shouldn't need really small hand-cranked signs (and that goes for R62s and R68s as well)...

Hand-cranked signs are full signs. You can see in an instant which train it is and its route. Unlike the "21st century" signs that display only rotating partial information, so you have to try to read across three cars as the train is passing you to try to figure out what it is and where it is going. The same is true once inside; you have to keep trying to see and to keep staring past people for more than a few seconds at the rotating sign (when it isn't displaced by announcement nonsense).

I am one of those weird birds that absolutely adore the R32. I love their clunkiness, their grabbing brakes, their sound at speed, their fast pickup, and most of all their great railfan windows.

Yes...they are enjoyable to ride.

The fact that these cars will probably last to the age of 54 is unbelievable. It is a testament to it's incredible design. It may be simple, but as the saying goes, Keep it Simple, Stupid.

Simple and functional!

I like it since it is the last unique thing on the rails [R46-68 are similar, R143-160a/b are similar]. Once they are gone, there will be no diversity left and the system will be very boring

I agree. There was a time when different cars ran on different lines. Having only R160s (and their twins) will be very boring - which it is already becoming.

Guest lance25
Hand-cranked signs are full signs. You can see in an instant which train it is and its route. Unlike the "21st century" signs that display only rotating partial information, so you have to try to read across three cars as the train is passing you to try to figure out what it is and where it is going. The same is true once inside; you have to keep trying to see and to keep staring past people for more than a few seconds at the rotating sign (when it isn't displaced by announcement nonsense).

One, there are signs on every car of the train. So it's not like one has to walk the entire length of the train to figure out where it's going.

Two, the electronic signs not only on the NTTs, but the R46s as well, cycle through each reading at three second intervals. If you can't be bothered to take the less than ten seconds required to read the signs, then that's your problem. As for the interior displays, well those make it even easier to know exactly where the train is headed, especially on the R160s. If the conductor puts in the right program for the route, the announcements and displays will usually be correct, even if the dated R142(a) strip maps can't display the stops correctly.

There was a time when different cars ran on different lines. Having only R160s (and their twins) will be very boring - which it is already becoming.

I'd rather have boring and monotonous than stylish and inoperable, but that's just me.

And this isn't just about the R32s anymore, but about this constant bashing of the NTTs and how their bland cars replaced the "real trains" that had character back in the day. You know what, that's what happens when you get around 3400 cars (all NTT orders) in a short period of time to replace a multitude of car classes at once. The same thing probably happened when the redbirds (or whatever color they were when delivered) replaced the pre-war equipment.

One, there are signs on every car of the train. So it's not like one has to walk the entire length of the train to figure out where it's going.

Two, the electronic signs not only on the NTTs, but the R46s as well, cycle through each reading at three second intervals. If you can't be bothered to take the less than ten seconds required to read the signs, then that's your problem. As for the interior displays, well those make it even easier to know exactly where the train is headed, especially on the R160s. If the conductor puts in the right program for the route, the announcements and displays will usually be correct, even if the dated R142(a) strip maps can't display the stops correctly.

I'd rather have boring and monotonous than stylish and inoperable, but that's just me.

And this isn't just about the R32s anymore, but about this constant bashing of the NTTs and how their bland cars replaced the "real trains" that had character back in the day. You know what, that's what happens when you get around 3400 cars (all NTT orders) in a short period of time to replace a multitude of car classes at once. The same thing probably happened when the redbirds (or whatever color they were when delivered) replaced the pre-war equipment.

The Redbirds were the postwar IRT cars that were retained and rebuilt under the MTA's Capital Improvement programs of the 1980s. Cars ordered by the city or NYCTA for the IRT lines were the R12, 14, 15, 17, 21, 22, 26, 28, 29, 33 and 36 classes. Of these, the first six classes were replaced from 1984 to 1988 by the R62/62A class whose cars went into service at that time. The remaining five classes became the Redbirds. They were retained, painted red with silver roofs, overhauled with A/C and remained in service until the early 2000s when they were replaced by the R142/142A class. But the R15 through 36s all looked alike, so there was a lot of monotony on the A-Division for much of the 50s through the early 80s. The B-Division, by contrast, had way more variety, including some of the old BMT car classes that lasted in service until the late 60s. From the R32s until the R143s, it seemed like each car fleet looked different from the one that preceded it.

The electronic side display signs on the R46s aren't so great. Half the time, they don't work properly, which ironically was the reason they were installed. The original motorized rollsigns either got stuck or wouldn't stop moving, so they wanted to replace them. But often, the signs are blank, stuck on "Not in Service" or they say the train is going to the opposite terminal of the direction it's going. They might as well have just left the old signs in.

If you do not have the time to read a bright visible orange LED destination, then chances are, you don't have the time to read the small print on an R32 route sign. Plus, the 68s don't feature any routing information inside, nor outside, so consider it a luxury, which the R160 excels in.

In the eyes of railfans, the R32s are a joy to ride. However, when it comes down to a tourist visiting the city, I'm sure they would prefer a train that offers a more comfortable ride (for those of you who are going to bring out the argument that a 32 ride is comfortable, you need to get your standards checked). I like the 32s too, not as much as an NTT or a 75 footer, but trust me, a comfortable ride is not something that defines a 32.

I like it since it is the last unique thing on the rails [R46-68 are similar, R143-160a/b are similar]. Once they are gone, there will be no diversity left and the system will be very boring. "Be happy for the little things."

R32s and 38s are similar and their interior isn't significantly different from the 42s and the 40s.

On a separate note, we all have our own opinions. Personally, I prefer NTTs over SMEEs any day of the week.

If you do not have the time to read a bright visible orange LED destination, then chances are, you don't have the time to read the small print on an R32 route sign.

The R32 signs are hardly small - though their original roll signs were better - but I can see them in a single one-second glance. Can't do that with the electronic ones.

In the eyes of railfans, the R32s are a joy to ride. However, when it comes down to a tourist visiting the city, I'm sure they would prefer a train that offers a more comfortable ride...

Perhaps...but the trains are primarily for the residents who have to take it twice a day, day in and day out. Tourists come and go.

And when I am a tourist, such as in San Francisco, I much prefer the old PCC trolley cars to the "modern" light rail cars, and the less comfortable ride of the cable car to the comfortable bus. The PCCs and the cable cars have "character" and are not sterile the way the light rail and buses are.

R32s and 38s are similar and their interior isn't significantly different from the 42s and the 40s.

Different enough. There is a subtle difference in the comfortablility of the R32 bench. More important, it has four more seats than R40/R40M/R42. And it has direct brighter lighting that isn't hidden behind advertisements, giving it a more open feeling.

On a separate note, we all have our own opinions. Personally, I prefer NTTs over SMEEs any day of the week.

That's fine that we have our own opinions. I'm not trying to make you change your mind, just taking the opportunity to put my opinion in the thread.

Two, the electronic signs not only on the NTTs, but the R46s as well, cycle through each reading at three second intervals. If you can't be bothered to take the less than ten seconds required to read the signs, then that's your problem.

Signs on every car are useless if I have to read three cars' worth of signs to get one understanding of which train it is and where its running as it passes by me pulling into the station. I don't have the luxury of telling the conductor to wait ten seconds until I can read the full cycle to know whether this is my train and/or if I want to get on. With the mechanical roll signs, I know everything as soon as I see the first sign.

And the inside signs disappear every time there is an announcement or it is busy displaying the time (I have a watch for that!).

Guest lance25

@T to Dyre Avenue, MC CJ: Thanks for the clarification on the redbirds and the pre-war equipment.

Signs on every car are useless if I have to read three cars' worth of signs to get one understanding of which train it is and where its running as it passes by me pulling into the station. I don't have the luxury of telling the conductor to wait ten seconds until I can read the full cycle to know whether this is my train and/or if I want to get on. With the mechanical roll signs, I know everything as soon as I see the first sign.

And the inside signs disappear every time there is an announcement or it is busy displaying the time (I have a watch for that!).

Again, you act as though it takes an age for the electronic signs to cycle through. It doesn't. And if you can't wait for the signs to cycle through, there are always the announcements, which also tell you where the train is headed, even if the train is diverted. That's something the R32 three-part rollsigns cannot do. You can't change a static sign without ordering brand new rolls.

As for the interior LED signs having to display various PSAs, those signs have to show what the announcements say because of ADA regulations.

@T to Dyre Avenue, MC CJ: Thanks for the clarification on the redbirds and the pre-war equipment.

Again, you act as though it takes an age for the electronic signs to cycle through. It doesn't. And if you can't wait for the signs to cycle through, there are always the announcements, which also tell you where the train is headed, even if the train is diverted. That's something the R32 three-part rollsigns cannot do. You can't change a static sign without ordering brand new rolls.

As for the interior LED signs having to display various PSAs, those signs have to show what the announcements say because of ADA regulations.

That's not true at all, a new sign section can be added at the end of the sign or even placed over some readings.

redbirdsign.jpg

Guest lance25
That's not true at all, a new sign section can be added at the end of the sign or even placed over some readings.

[image Removed]

Yes, that is true, but I was speaking more on the lines of emergency and spontaneous reroutes, not semi-long-term, preplanned ones.

Yes, that is true, but I was speaking more on the lines of emergency and spontaneous reroutes, not semi-long-term, preplanned ones.

That's why rollsigns have readings like special and shuttle. Even when a train is rerouted mid route, signs are not always changed (NTTs)

I agree totally, R68 Subway Car! These amazingly durable subway cars were first introduced on September 9, 1964 when Mr. Robert F. Wagner was the Mayor of New York City. They've outlasted even the R33/R36 World's Fair subway car and their sister subway cars, the R38.

The only other car which has served longer than the R32 Brightliners were an el car, the Q cars which were retired when the Myrtle Avenue El was closed on November 4, 1969. These el cars (which became the Q cars for the 1939-1940 World's Fair) served sixty-six years!

The only other subway car in their class, durability wise, have to be the B.R.T./B.M.T. A/B Standards which were introduced in 1914-1918 and went on to serve into 1969.

I've especially enjoyed the R32 Brightliners when they were (still are (C)(A)?) on the (C)(A)(E) and (B) [West End Line version - 70(:o] and their railfan window is a treat.

The fact that these cars will probably last to the age of 54 is unbelievable. It is a testament to it's incredible design. It may be simple, but as the saying goes, Keep it Simple, Stupid. Just think of the many cars introduced after it that are are now gone. The men and women who built these cars are incredible. I do not car what you think of this series of cars. You just have to respect it's incredible durability.

Archived