An interesting read, actually

TwoTimer

Great find, TwoTimer.:tup:

Does anyone else thinks that mr. cuomo mostly cares about his own image, rather than actually solving problems?:mad:

Especially with phrases like “Put the governor in charge”.

To stay on topic, I would rather see Walder staying, because he, IMO, was doing fairly well, it just wasn't enough time and support for him to realize his plans.

The best part of the article:

Among those problems were indifferent politicians unwilling to help with budget difficulties; an unsympathetic public that expressed its vitriol in tart Facebook pages and screamed at meetings; and Mr. Walder’s own unhappiness with a governor who paid the agency little mind, even as its finances significantly worsened.

That should be a glimpse into the future of the agency for all of you who voted for Cuomo.....

I would give Cuomo exactly what he says wants: full and direct control so that credit and blame can go directly to him. I'm no fan of public-private authorities, so turning the MTA into a state-run department instead of an independent agency could lead to more transparency. The hierarchical structure needs to change so that no one is so indispensible.

I would like to see someone who has come up from the ranks and understands the nuts and bolts of the system. It's also important that this person has the respect of the rank and file. I don't think Walder enjoyed the respect of the people under him.

While technology and global perspectives are nice, I just need to get from point A to point B. That's been done for 100 years and if there's no money for IT, I vote keeping it simple.

Just my $2.25 on the matter!

Does anyone else thinks that mr. cuomo mostly cares about his own image, rather than actually solving problems?:mad:

Especially with phrases like “Put the governor in charge”.

Most politicians do that. It's not very surprising anymore.

=

As for the MTA: subways and buses should be the city's issue and LIRR and MNCR can be left to the state. The city should be the one sending the bill to Albany rather than Albany telling the city what they can/can't have. Otherwise the city and basically all counties served by an MTA service should just break away from upstate and be its own state. Albany can leech off someone else.

someone like this hehe:

rmoses.jpg

Robert Moses, say what you will about him but he was one of the few people in New York City history who could actually get things done. If he was in charge of the Second Avenue subway he could have had it finished already decades ago.

someone like this hehe:

rmoses.jpg

Robert Moses, say what you will about him but he was one of the few people in New York City history who could actually get things done. If he was in charge of the Second Avenue subway he could have had it finished already decades ago.

If Robert Moses was in charge of the Second Avenue Subway it would be a six lane elevated highway. If anything its partially his fault why our transit system is in the condition it is.

No we are talking about a mass transit Robert Moses. What would have happened if Robert Moses was a supporter of mass transit instead?

thats what I meant, somebody like Robert Moses with the vision and the will to get things done but for the Subway.

And it wasnt 1st and 2nd Avenues that had a highway planned on em, it was Park Avenue. http://www.nycroads.com/roads/park-avenue/

Guest lance25

Thanks for posting that Jon. Things like that make you wonder how different things would be if certain people had their way. If folks like Moses and LaGuardia has their way, there probably wouldn't be a Metro-North and there sure as hell wouldn't be any service on the Hudson and Harlem lines south of Yankee Stadium.

I'm all for having someone with an interest and background in transit, but I don't think we need a Robert Moses-type of person at the wheel so to speak. People like him tend to have one goal in mind, regardless of who's in the way. There's a reason why highways like the Bruckner Expwy or the Cross Bronx Expwy bisect neighborhoods; the highways, while useful, were built by tearing down many houses and apartments, displacing a whole lot of people.

Guest lance25

No, what we need is money to keep this system from falling into the state of disrepair we haven't seen since the 1970s and '80s.

After that, then we can concern ourselves with subway expansions. And like stated previously, you need more than one person with an ambitious spirit to build a line. You also need community support first and foremost because without that, you won't get shit accomplished, not in this day and age. This isn't the '30s and '40s Roadcruiser1. You can't just build lines and destroy neighborhoods and expect people to be alright with that, no matter how good the benefits are.

Thanks for posting that Jon. Things like that make you wonder how different things would be if certain people had their way. If folks like Moses and LaGuardia has their way, there probably wouldn't be a Metro-North and there sure as hell wouldn't be any service on the Hudson and Harlem lines south of Yankee Stadium.

I'm all for having someone with an interest and background in transit, but I don't think we need a Robert Moses-type of person at the wheel so to speak. People like him tend to have one goal in mind, regardless of who's in the way. There's a reason why highways like the Bruckner Expwy or the Cross Bronx Expwy bisect neighborhoods; the highways, while useful, were built by tearing down many houses and apartments, displacing a whole lot of people.

I personally don't think the Park Avenue Expressway would have worked, there's a lot of plans that Mr Moses had that were just out there, and there's a lot of them that really should have been built. There's an interesting story regarding the Cross Bronx Expressway, the people in the Bronx said that he could put it along a slightly curvy path 6 blocks to the south where it is today and the community opposition would have been much less.

The fight over the Cross Bronx and the way it was handled was what got people scared about the other highways he was planning elsewhere, particularly the Cross Brooklyn Expressway which really is a missing highway link in the long island highway system. The Lower Manhattan Expressway would have been a part of this link, creating a continuous expressway from I-78 in Jersey to Suffolk County where the Sunrise Highway starts being an expressway, and it would have helped traffic on the Southern State, much how the Northern State and LIE work together.

He had planned these random parkways in places where the traffic just wasn't there and they weren't needed. There was a parkway plan for the Rockaways which then tied into the Nassau Expressway and down through Long Beach, and that area even today doesn't have that much traffic to need an expressway like that. But yet there's others, like the Richmond Parkway extension through La Tourette park that requires a less direct route for people going from the Verezano to the Outerbridge Crossing (that's what those roads to nowhere are in Eltingville.)

Overall I think Moses' contribution to our area was a positive one, Long Island wouldn't be what it is today without our parkways and expressways. Jones Beach, and the other various parks in our area, are a great place to spend the day.

That sums it up. He did what he could what what he was given. My only gripe with Mr. Walder is the way he treated the workers.

The next person needs to have the forward vision like Mr. Walder, but better with labor relations.

Which is a problem with the "give a little, they take a mile" approach to collective bargaining (both sides at fault for this). If they ever really sat down and came to agreement that satisfied both, there wouldn't be any labor issue. TWU is already on the record about going to request a small raise each year, based upon the raises TA recently gave employees working downtown last year.

Archived