N to Times Square in the am rush?

j express

As a local (N) rider every weekday in the AM rush between 8:00 and 9:00 AM. I see one (N) train going to Times Square instead of 57st. So I want to why this (N) train goes to Times Square instead of 57st?

Sometimes there are trains that 'short-turn' that is to say that they dont go all teh way to teh end of the line to provide more service to the middle of the route that gets more demand than the ends.

Other common things of this nature are (4) trains ending at Burnside Avenue and (A) trains ending at 168th Street, also the (F) trains ending at Kings Highway.

That happened to me but with the (Q). After a series of delays I'm assuming they just decided to stop the run at Times Square and turn it around to keep headways and reduce train traffic, but it was certainly a last-minute solution.

The F-train is also different in that F-trains that start or end at Kings Highway has been a regular operation that has occurred for several decades, and is listed on the subway maps and time schedules.

Now some train "short-runs" are listed only on the time schedules, but not the subway map. For example some R-trains that end at Canal Street, etc.

Mike

Archived