Some Tucson Pronunciations And Fun Facts

EE Broadway Local

Just in case you've seen these names and wondered........

Tucson (Too-SAHN): Arizona's second-largest city, located in the southeastern part of the state 118 miles southeast of Phoenix and 60 miles north of Mexico.

Tucsonian (Too-SAHN-eean): A resident of the city of Tucson.

Pima (PEE-mah): The county Tucson is in (and is the county seat). The Pima County Sheriff is Mr. Clarence Dupnik. Also, Pima is the name of a Native American Tribe.

Ajo (Ah-hoe): In Tucson, Ajo Way is a major west-east street on the south side. Also, Ajo is a city in southern Arizona.

Tucson is at 2,643 feet and is surrounded by mountains: on the West Side are the Tucson Mountains; to the east are the Rincon Mountains; to the north are the Catalina Mountains and to the south are the Santa Rita Mountains.

Maybe just a little bit confusing: South Tucson is an independent city completely surrounded by the City Of Tucson and is not a part of the South Side of Tucson.

South Tucson is one square mile and has a population of 5,562. South Tucson does carry on the Tucson building and street numbering systems beginning with 23d Street and with 1500 (South). South Sixth Avenue is the west-east divider.

The Mayor is Ms. Jennifer Eckstrom. She just won reelection and will be South Tucson's Mayor until May 31, 2015. South Tucson also has its' own police department. The library is the Sam Lena-South Tucson Library.

The Mayor or Tucson is Mr. Bob Walkup. He is in his third term as Tucson's Mayor and is so until December 31, 2011.

Tucson is divided into large areas: Downtown; Northwest; North Side; South Side; West Side; East Side; Midtown and Foothills. In turn, these large areas are subdivided into neighborhoods.

One of these neighborhoods is the Sugar Hill neighborhood located north of Speedway (Speedway Boulevard, officially). The The Bronx Wash (a natural desert wash) runs west-east through Sugar Hill and the Morrisania Bridge carries North Stone Avenue over the wash.

The name Ronstadt and the name Eckstrom are synomous with Tucson and South Tucson. Downtown includes the Ronstadt Transit Center (The Ronstadt) and the Ronstadt House (built in 1903). In South Tucson, the municipal complex is named for one of the early Eckstrom families.

Beautiful photo of sunrise over the Tucson Mountains on the West Side:

90573898.51gOKrRH.TucsonMountainsSunrise_77570.jpg

Tanque Verde: (As pronounced on Sun Tran announcements: TANK-Q - VER-day): East Tanque Verde Road is a major street on the northeast side of Tucson.

There are two rivers here which influence Tucson's geography: The (usually dry) Santa Cruz River and the (usually dry) Rillito River.

The Rillito River, I think, is the reason why East Grant, East Tanque Verde and North Kolb Roads meet in a confluence of streets (kind of like the way East Congress Street, East Broadway (East Broadway Boulevard) and Toole Avenue meet in a confluence of streets on the eastern edge of Downtown).

By the way, Toole Avenue does run south of Broadway. It runs parrallel to the Union Pacific Tracks, which in turn run parallel to Aviation Parkway (each running northwest to southeast).

Our Miracle Mile (interesting name for a street) officially is Miracle Mile Strip on street signs. The major portion is between North Oracle and North Flowing Wells Road.

Miracle Mile beyond North Flowing Wells continues west only to I-10 and primarily serves as access to and from the freeway.

On West Miracle Mile, the very last intersection before North Flowing Wells is a street with the real, actual name of North El Burrito Avenue.

No kidding! El Burrito!

I don't have a clue why, but the small, block square park bordered by North Stone Avenue, East First Street, North Seventh Avenue and East Speedway (East Speedway Boulevard) is officially named De Anza Park, but is familiarly known as and called "Stone Park" (Maybe similiar reason as the #19 is known as "The Stone Bus) [The #19 serves North Stone Avenue its' entire length]).

Often, the afternoons see a pleasant breeze through the north side of Stone Park - and always, plenty of pidgeons.

Surprisingly, maybe, no. In this case, while Tucson is spelled Tuc - son, it is, indeed, accurately prounounced TOO -sahn. The English and Spanish names are different only in that in Spanish, the o has a dot over it.

I thought the same thing. (Tuss-Kun)

I always thought people pronounced that "c," but slightly.

Who was Mr. G. Freeman Woods?

Mr. G. Freeman Woods was a City Of Tucson City Council Member and a member of the library board.

He held these positions in 1968 when the then new First Avenue Branch was erected at 3455 North First Avenue (just south of East Prince Road).

Today, the (Mr. G. Freeman) Woods Memorial Library still carries its' original 1968 metal tablet and a metal tablet from 1997, when the now former First Avenue Branch was reconstructed and the honor to Mr. Woods in its' rechristianing as the now (Mr. G. Freeman) Woods Memorial Library.

One of the fun (and free, also) things you can do in Tucson is "Read To A Dog" at the (Mr. G. Freeman) Woods Memorial Library.

There are three (3) friendly, and cute puppies, and they love being read to!

"Read To A Dog" is every Wednesday 2:30 to 3:30pm and every Thursday 4:00 to 5:00pm.

Certainly, you know who (Captain James Tiberius) Kirk is in the Kirk part of the Kirk-Bear Canyon Library.

Today (Wednesday August 17, 2011), I've a different and unique pronounciation for you.

In Ticson, North Flowing Wells Road turns into North La Canada Road. If you look at the Canada part, you might think it's pronounced like the name of the country that is our neighbor to the north.

Instead, here in Tucson, we pronounce it (lah - CAH-nah-dah). Isn't that interesting?

I've also an apology - in my first post, I said Tucsonian, rather, we're Tucsonans. I apologize for the misinformation.

Archived