MNRR is hiring for C/R

Will-Bx-718

https://erecruit.mtabsc.info/psc/ERPRD/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL

All interested and who meet the minimum requirement should apply at the link above. I too will be applying for this job. The application deadline is August 5th,2011 so jump on it, if you're interested. The starting rate of pay is $25.78, with a top pay rate of $36.83 after five years of service.

Count me out: "External applicants must have a minimum of two 2 years experience in the areas of customer service and/or cash handling."

So I'm assuming you have neither? I'm very sorry to hear that man. I hope you at least filled for the C/R job for NYCT which doesn't require either of the above. Also I guess I should have added that requirement to the post as well. I will edit that into my original post now.

Same here. Screwed with that 2 years experience requirement.

I'm sorry to hear that for you as well bro. I believe since NYCTA has taken over all of their own civil service exams, I believe the next C/R exam will require 2 years of customer service as well. It's their way of weeding out applicants so they don't have to go through 15,000 people's names. But you're still young and have plenty of time to build up experience under your belt. Take a job as a cashier in a department store or fast food restaurant and build up from there. But also apply for any civil service exam you may qualify for as well. Most of these jobs you need to be 21 years of age to take so you have sometime before you can except any of these jobs anyway.

With the risk of asking a stupid question, how does the hiring process for the MNRR C/R differ from the MTA C/R as far as hiring someone off the street. I see here that you need 2 years experience handling money and a lot of the other things seem the same or similar.

With the MTA you pay, take a test and wait for 2+ years to get called if you score high enough for the list. Then you get your medical and "interview" and submit background info so they can do a background check. If everything passes you get to go to schoolcar.

With the MNRR it seems you submit a resume and then what? It says something about a test, medical screening, background screening, and interview but as for the test I didn't see anything about if you apply and pay for it or what like the MTA that is the first step is scheduling and paying for the test.

Customer Service experience is a general term.

Usually, dealing with the public is considered customer service experience. So yes, if you worked retail or a restaraunt it would qualify. But other jobs as well. If you have ever directly dealt with the public, then I'd apply anyway.

The job posting said that it would look at MNR employees first, then look at other people with railroad experience second, then look at everyone else. It also said that the everyone else category will be assembled in chronological order. So I don't know if that means being young is a disadvantage.

I applied to a 3rd railman position with MNR about 5 years ago. I took a test that was incredibly easy and only had 20 questions. I heard back a year later from HR asking if I was still interested. I said yes. I then heard back a year later from HR telling me I would be the next person to be called. That was the last I ever heard from them. And MNR exam results are only good for 2 years, so my exam expired literally around the very same time I got the last call.

With the risk of asking a stupid question, how does the hiring process for the MNRR C/R differ from the MTA C/R as far as hiring someone off the street. I see here that you need 2 years experience handling money and a lot of the other things seem the same or similar.

With the MTA you pay, take a test and wait for 2+ years to get called if you score high enough for the list. Then you get your medical and "interview" and submit background info so they can do a background check. If everything passes you get to go to schoolcar.

With the MNRR it seems you submit a resume and then what? It says something about a test, medical screening, background screening, and interview but as for the test I didn't see anything about if you apply and pay for it or what like the MTA that is the first step is scheduling and paying for the test.

Yeah it's a bit harder to get into MNRR & LIRR than NYCTA. Donald is right, if you know someone, you can get your paper work pushed to the top a lot faster than normal. With NYCTA you take a civil service exam which makes the process much easier. You pay your money, take the exam and score high enough, then your almost 99% guaranteed to get a pre-interview and drug screening. But hey you never know and it doesn't hurt to apply and see what happens.

MNRR's hiring process is as follows:

You submit you're resume online through the website. Once the deadline passes the folks at the MTA BSC reviews all of the submissions and invites those meeting the minimum requirements to take an exam. The exam will consist of, at a minimum, mechanical reasoning, reading comprehension and the Hogan Personality Test.

Upon passing the exam (you find out in about two weeks of taking it) you go though a background check where everything from past job history to criminal background and credit checks are preformed on you. Upon favorable completion of the background check, you may get called for a panel interview depending on hiring needs. Here you will be interviewed by at least three people where they will determine if you are appropriate for the job.

After the interview then you will have to take a physical ability test and a medical exam.

Only after all the above steps have been completed will MNRR extend a job offer.

Anyone know if a retired NYCTA employee can work for MNR and still collect their pension? Maybe I would submit a resume to this job for my father. It's a bit complicated because there are certain jobs that, if he takes, he forefeits his pension.

Anyone know if a retired NYCTA employee can work for MNR and still collect their pension? Maybe I would submit a resume to this job for my father. It's a bit complicated because there are certain jobs that, if he takes, he forefeits his pension.

No he wouldn't forfeit his pension if he works for MNRR. NYCTA uses nycers which is a city pension system. MNRR most likely uses a defined pension like all of the other MTA subsidiaries outside of NYCTA. You can have two pensions as long as they aren't under the same jurisdiction. So you could have a pension from say the Military and State or from the city and state. It's called double dipping if you have two pensions from the same jurisdiction. And this is why lots of TA employees worked at the post office as well. So they could collect a city pension and federal pension.

Well, I don't have the 2 years of expeirence, but my father does so I put an application in for him. Let's hope having 30 years of experience as a NYCTA conductor is sufficient to work as an MNR conductor! Because if it isn't, NOBODY here is getting hired.

Getting into Metro is sooooo about knowing THE RIGHT people. (I know a few people that work there, but it didn't do anything for me.) I've applied, tested, and passed multiple times. I've been background checked and even made it to interview once.

I had a problem with their database about a test invite a few years ago. Basically I passed the test but failed the credit check. Reapplied after 6 months as I was told. But on test day was told I had to wait 18 months, not 6, since i had passed the previous test, not failed it. So I was given wrong information AND they sent me an invite when I was ineligible. I called and wrote letters, and was told to get my credit fixed in 6 months or have to reapply. That posting didnt reappear for 5 YEARS!

Reapplied, tested, background checked, and then interviewed. It was supposed to be by a panel of 4. Of course the ONE person I had met three times previously had to be the one person to NOT go to my interview.

A phone call afterwards is good, a letter is bad. Got THE LETTER 2 weeks after. My dream job is locomotive engineer.... in 2008 Metro did more than break my heart, they basically broke my spirit. For almost the past 10 years I've applied with Metro, Amtrak, NJT, and tested for NYCT. It seems impossible to get hired by any railroad without having family that works there. :cry:

Getting into Metro is sooooo about knowing THE RIGHT people. (I know a few people that work there, but it didn't do anything for me.) I've applied, tested, and passed multiple times. I've been background checked and even made it to interview once.

I had a problem with their database about a test invite a few years ago. Basically I passed the test but failed the credit check. Reapplied after 6 months as I was told. But on test day was told I had to wait 18 months, not 6, since i had passed the previous test, not failed it. So I was given wrong information AND they sent me an invite when I was ineligible. I called and wrote letters, and was told to get my credit fixed in 6 months or have to reapply. That posting didnt reappear for 5 YEARS!

Reapplied, tested, background checked, and then interviewed. It was supposed to be by a panel of 4. Of course the ONE person I had met three times previously had to be the one person to NOT go to my interview.

A phone call afterwards is good, a letter is bad. Got THE LETTER 2 weeks after. My dream job is locomotive engineer.... in 2008 Metro did more than break my heart, they basically broke my spirit. For almost the past 10 years I've applied with Metro, Amtrak, NJT, and tested for NYCT. It seems impossible to get hired by any railroad without having family that works there. :cry:

I'm very sorry to hear your struggle for the past decade. But I'm surprised you've had so much problems with NYCT as their hiring practices are not as strict as MNRR.

At least you got an interview. I did not even get that from MNR. Just an exam and 2 phone calls. No background check either, yet they told me I was going to be the next person to be called. Not sure how that works.

If you were going to get called for an interview, chances are there was a background check done. The background check weeds out a lot of potential candidates. If they check someones previous employers and they always marked out or showed up late, that persons chance of getting hired diminishes to 0.

They generally do the background check after the initial test and before the interview. The exception would be after the initial background check expires. I've know people that took the test, had a background, got interviewed, then there was a hiring freeze. After the freeze had passed they had to have another background run before they changed crafts.

At least you got an interview. I did not even get that from MNR. Just an exam and 2 phone calls. No background check either, yet they told me I was going to be the next person to be called. Not sure how that works.

I think I got you beat.I had my interview and physical in which I pass and I never got called again .I knew there was trouble when my recruiter was changing from one person to the other very often.

Archived