MNRR is hiring for C/R

Will-Bx-718

Crap... so I was figuring that 14 years of retail would be good to apply for this job, but going to school and making minimum wage basically screwed my credit so this means I am not going to pass the background even if I pass everything else?

Also I am sure that the last job I had I showed up late after a while all the time so I could get unemployment would also screw me over for this... although the job was originally only supposed to be seasonal anyway and I was there a year because they liked my work otherwise. I only did that because I was under the impression that they would pay based on experience and they claimed they stopped that right before I was hired and starting a new job back down to minimum wage was not worth it to me, if I quit I wouldn't get the unemployment and not for nothing with the economy at the time dipping down to just about the worst it was going to get recently I wanted to make sure I had some sort of income between jobs.

Instead of writing on a message board on why you won't pass the background, or otherwise get hired, apply those efforts toward submitting your resume. If you don't submit your resume you will never get the job. If you submit it you still may not get the job but it won't be for lack of trying.

Instead of writing on a message board on why you won't pass the background, or otherwise get hired, apply those efforts toward submitting your resume. If you don't submit your resume you will never get the job. If you submit it you still may not get the job but it won't be for lack of trying.

I submitted my resume before posting in this thread. I would just find it a huge waste if I paid for a test, took the time to go through whatever motions and then find out that it was a waste of time because I would never have gotten the job anyway. The point of those posts is to try and find out (through opinion I know but maybe someone has past experience that would know for certain here) if I even wasted my time submitting a resume in the first place.

I submitted my resume before posting in this thread. I would just find it a huge waste if I paid for a test.....

Good, now that you submitted your resume you will have more of a chance than if you didn't. I wouldn't be concerned about paying for any test because there are no test fees, application fees or any other fees accrued with applying for the job.

The only costs you should expect is what ever transportation costs to get to the test site. The test site could be at any of the MTA buildings. The last test I took was at 2 Broadway in Lower Manhattan, the one before that was on Livingston St in Brooklyn. Should you get invited to take the test you will likely need a couple of #2 pencils, a pen and photo ID to get into the building, that's it!

In a worst case scenario, you could have to take the test at the White Plains yard. That's where I took it. It's not a great place to go since its in the middle of nowhere.

I've tested at 2 Broadway and North White Plains. North White isn't bad since you take the Harlem line to North White Plains which is the last stop on most locals, and walk about 2 blocks alongside the tracks to the yard buildings. 2 Broadway is waaaaay at the tip of Manhattan. GCT just ins't close enough, gotta take the subway too. Car-wise at least there's free parking in North White, and near the highway. Parking near Battery Park just seems nightmarish.

I submitted my resume before posting in this thread. I would just find it a huge waste if I paid for a test, took the time to go through whatever motions and then find out that it was a waste of time because I would never have gotten the job anyway. The point of those posts is to try and find out (through opinion I know but maybe someone has past experience that would know for certain here) if I even wasted my time submitting a resume in the first place.

And usually most job that run credit check give you a certain amount that you can't be delinquent on. I know TSA says you can't be delinquent of $7500 to one company. So if you got $12,000 in student loans or other debts as long as your making payments you'll be fine.

Thats the system working against you if I ever saw it. People not qualifying for a job because they owe money. Im almost tempted to say thats one way to keep the black man or latino down in the gutter, well I did say it. Obviously there are other types of people in the mix, but thats just collateral damage. Alot of the time people want to get a better job and advance themselves to actually pay the dam bills.

Thats the system working against you if I ever saw it. People not qualifying for a job because they owe money. Im almost tempted to say thats one way to keep the black man or latino down in the gutter, well I did say it. Obviously there are other types of people in the mix, but thats just collateral damage. Alot of the time people want to get a better job and advance themselves to actually pay the dam bills.

Well credit is the modern day form of slavery. Think about it...., with bad credit you don't qualify for loans, cars, houses or even an apartment in most cases. And now you can;t even qualify for jobs actually paying a good salary to pay off those bills you racked up. So how do they expect you to pay those bills off? they don't. So I urge anyone here if you get hired with MTA please fix or keep your credit straight, because soon as they find out you're making more money they will send you offers in the mail for credit cards. I too took the bait a few years ago, but I'am paying them all off and intend to close all but two accounts once I'am finished.

People not qualifying for a job because they owe money....

..... Alot of the time people want to get a better job and advance themselves to actually pay the dam bills.

It's not that they owe money. The only way to have "good" credit is to owe money. You could be a 20 year old making $20,000 a year with 5 credit cards and have better credit than a 50 year old making $200,000 a year with no credit cards and a paid for house.

I think the big thing with these positions is that because you are handling company funds they don't want someone that has judgements against them or someone that owes more than they make. They figure if you can't handle your own finances, why would they want you to handle theirs?

And usually most job that run credit check give you a certain amount that you can't be delinquent on. I know TSA says you can't be delinquent of $7500 to one company. So if you got $12,000 in student loans or other debts as long as your making payments you'll be fine.

Well at the moment I don't have a job and over $10,000 in debt for one student loan (all due to an unsigned promissory note btw my GPA was 3.2 at the time they didn't notify me of anything I needed to sign until it was too late) and I was hoping that either this job or the MTA job (on the list for T/O and C/R) would actually allow me to start paying off the defaulted student loans. I really hope this loans aren't going to hold me back from actually getting a job that allows me to pay them off (no income means I am not paying off anything at the moment). Wow, this world is going to hell in a handbasket.

So now that the job is closed, anyone hear anything? Is MNR fast or are they turtles when calling people? Also, anyone here apply to the car maintainer position at LIRR a few months back and hear anything yet? I applied, and have heard nothing.

So now that the job is closed, anyone hear anything? Is MNR fast or are they turtles when calling people? Also, anyone here apply to the car maintainer position at LIRR a few months back and hear anything yet? I applied, and have heard nothing.

The job posting just closed, give it time. At this stage of the game MNR is not even involved as the MTA BSC handles all testing and background checks (they do for LIRR also).

I'm going to guess it will be at least three weeks before there are any invitations for testing sent out. Ultimately it depends on the needs of the company and the availability of test sites and test administrators. The only way you will know anything is if you get an invitation for testing. If you are not selected to take the test, you will not be notified.

In the mean time I recommend you breath, relax and live life as normal. If you resume is up to par and they call you, great. If they don't call you (for what ever reason), life goes on. You can't do anything about it.

I missed it (found out about it too late) but I don't know about that 2 years cash handling, and we both know "internal" to MTA is different from "internal" to the rest of the world, lol. I did apply for Locomotive Engineer last June (I think) though.

Your credit is irrelevant for C/R and T/O jobs at NYCTA since your not handling money.

No!!, credit is not irrelevant for either job. Some employers look @ your credit to get a good judge of character as well. Some companies feel if your too irresponsible to handle your own personal finances that you won't be responsible with your work duties either. Like TSA, you're not dealing with any funds yet they want to check your credit score.

I hate it when they take those reports at face value. When I first applied to MNR it was just out of college. My credit was jacked up because I'm too nice and helped out someone and ended up getting screwed over in the end. It's not so much that I was irresponsible, it was that I was too trusting. It's too bad these companies don't look into something they perceive as negative.

For some people it's due to irresponsibility and for others it may be really messed up circumstances (like a health thing or something). Because of that I can actually say I lost the chance at attaining the career of my dreams because of one person. That sucks so much because it was the ONLY "problem". Had I gotten to interview they would have seen that I am responsible, reliable, and Metro to my core :P

Archived