Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
R44 CNG

Question about Abandoned LIRR Track at St.Albans

080111074833.jpg

080111074853.jpg

What was the purpose of this track before it was abandoned and when was it abandoned?

Edited by R44 CNG
Fixed Links

That spur used to service the VA Hospital located next to the tracks there. Believe it was for coal service.

That spur used to service the VA Hospital located next to the tracks there. Believe it was for coal service.

IIRC I also remembering reading somewhere there was also weekend vistor specials on the branch that end in the 1950's or 1960's to the hospital

IIRC I also remembering reading somewhere there was also weekend vistor specials on the branch that end in the 1950's or 1960's to the hospital

That is true,i also read it some where as well.I believe i have an old timetable that says there was visitor special trains.

It's amazing how the RR used to be a lot more useful for intra-island transportation. Now it's a Penn Station feeding machine.

More like "damp, ugly basement which smells of steel dust all the time" feeding station.

I was reading about the abandoned Kings Park spur which was used for coal as well, only the psychiatric center had its own power plant. Would trains stop over the spur and dump coal or would they (and I apologize if I read the site wrong) literally dump it while it was moving?