Subway Derailment In Harlem Leads To Service Disruptions On IRT Lex Line

mark1447

It’s going to be a headache for commuters on the East Side of Manhattan Wednesday morning.

A derailment of a subway train in Harlem is causing service disruptions.

A fire department spokesman says the derailment of a No. 6 train occurred near the 125th Street station at 4:14 a.m. Wednesday.

About 100 passengers were evacuated safely and there were no injuries.

The derailment will take several hours to clear.

Uptown 6 trains are running express from 42nd Street to 125th Street.

Uptown 5 trains are running on the 2 line from Nevins Street to 149th Street.

Downtown 4, 5, and 6 trains are running with delays.

The MTA urges passengers to consider using the M101, M102 or M103 bus or the D train to and from Manhattan.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/08/03/subway-derailment-in-harlem-leads-to-service-disruptions-on-5-and-6-lines/

LOL No wonder why I saw a (5) train running on the (2) & (3) express track. Crazy right? I thought something was wrong with my eye for a second down there.

There is nothing crazy about the (5) on 7th Av. (5)s pop up on 7th Av all the time. Its just the luxary the (5) has to avoid lex when there is trouble.

I'm surprised they didn't mention the M15 as an alternative.

Especially as the SBS is supposed to be a crowd-reliever for the (4)(5)(6). The M101/102/103 are probably crush-loaded at 42nd.

EDIT: 13:03 Normal service has resumed.

Does anyone know how much damage occured to the train? Can the specific set be used or was there mid-body damage? Is there a T/O or a conductor who knows? At least no one was injured.. Now I can ask about the poor R142A.

As per the information on subchat, it doesn't appear that the damage was that bad.

http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=1089337

Only small good news is this from what i read/saw on news. No major injuries and slightly 'lighter' ridership since most NYC kids are still on summer vaction.

I know the (M101) (M102) (M103) besides the M15 SBS and even the West Side (1)(2)(3) and rerouted (5) was Saradine SRO packed this morning.

Only small good news is this from what i read/saw on news. No major injuries and slightly 'lighter' ridership since most NYC kids are still on summer vaction.

I know the (M101) (M102) (M103) besides the M15 SBS and even the West Side (1)(2)(3) and rerouted (5) was Saradine SRO packed this morning.

the (4) and (6) was crazy today too in all of manhattan...it was like rush hour all day down there and the actual rush was out of control. not to mention the uptown which is usually pretty laid back north of 59th (at least in the AM rush)...well not so much today...

the track gauge spread and became too wide, so one or more wheels fell in.

How does that happen while a train is going over a section of rail? From what I can tell, it looks like the wheels are shaped so that they sort of wrap around the upper part of the rails as they move over it, which I would think would help prevent the rails from spreading as the cars travel over it.

How does that happen while a train is going over a section of rail? From what I can tell, it looks like the wheels are shaped so that they sort of wrap around the upper part of the rails as they move over it, which I would think would help prevent the rails from spreading as the cars travel over it.

This is what was told to me not long after the derailment happened so the info might not be accurate: The section of track this derailment took place on was being worked on. Track dept. was replacing tie plates (hardware under the rail that holds the rail to the tie). For what ever reason they had replaced the plates but they did not secure them and the rail rolled over as the train passed over that section. When all was said and done, 2 cars were on the ground.

This is what was told to me not long after the derailment happened so the info might not be accurate: The section of track this derailment took place on was being worked on. Track dept. was replacing tie plates (hardware under the rail that holds the rail to the tie). For what ever reason they had replaced the plates but they did not secure them and the rail rolled over as the train passed over that section. When all was said and done, 2 cars were on the ground.

You are correct. I just finished reading the first draft of the report. I had a tss print it out.

You are correct. I just finished reading the first draft of the report. I had a tss print it out.

Talk about a big f**k up, looks like the foreman will be looking for a new job soon. It's just good that no one was hurt.

Archived