Some general questions

first off this is a nice forum! love the layout and the details. good stuff. glad to be a member now. i got a couple questions for the members here. how often are track beds cleaned? also do the trains that run on a/c/b/d line emit zone or some sort of exhaust? lastr question: what is that sort of metallicy smell that sometimes comes out the street vents when a train passes under? anyone know for sure? thanks. appriciate it.B)

No the R32 R38 R40 R44 and R68 don't emit any type of exhaust. They run on third rail there are not DMUs or diesel trains. Electic trains don't emit exhust expept for dual mode locomotives that run on both diesel power and third rail.

You may also be smelling brakes. When a train forces air out to street level and it has new-ish brakes the brake dust smell can get out to the street. Happened to me for the first time last week. I am used to smelling brakes on (NJT) trains, but that was a first for subway stuff.

- Andy

first off this is a nice forum! love the layout and the details. good stuff. glad to be a member now. i got a couple questions for the members here. how often are track beds cleaned? also do the trains that run on a/c/b/d line emit zone or some sort of exhaust? lastr question: what is that sort of metallicy smell that sometimes comes out the street vents when a train passes under? anyone know for sure? thanks. appriciate it.;)

yea that's the smell of the subway,as i like to call it

first off this is a nice forum! love the layout and the details. good stuff. glad to be a member now. i got a couple questions for the members here. how often are track beds cleaned? also do the trains that run on a/c/b/d line emit zone or some sort of exhaust? lastr question: what is that sort of metallicy smell that sometimes comes out the street vents when a train passes under? anyone know for sure? thanks. appriciate it.B)

Steel dust is that smell. All railroads/subways have that smell. Smells great, but bad for ones health..........

Archived