R110B first run video

tvega961

They weren't supposed to last long. The purpose of the 110A/Bs was to test various new features that had not yet been implemented in the TA system yet.
Exactly.And the concepts of the R110A/B were being drawn up back in 1987,where the (NYCT) were already talking about trains with AC propulsion,Automated announcements and computerized systems.At that time some transit agencies around the world already had these amenities.

Totally agreed. The only nice thing about the R110A is the interior seating set up. Otherwise the R142s are here, there's no need to bring the R110A back.

R110B, i never understood why it was a 9-car train. It's a total oddball. If it had been a 60' car or 75' car train, then it would've been better imo.

They were trying to make something that was short enough to run in the Eastern Div., and yet had the benefits of longer cars, so that there would be a fleet that could run anywhere.

But it was tighter safety standards, plus a slight difference in the truck arrangement that rendered that idea useless.

It was the 110's that got me so interested in LED's. The 110A's used RyG color changing signs (which were somewhat new technology back then), while the blues weren't out yet, so the 110B stuck with rollsigns in the front. (These did include the radical ideas of an orange ( A ) that had been proposed to run to Brighton Beach to replace the (Q6Av), plus a gray ( K ) for skip stop with the (L)!)

But by now, with full RGB technology out and pretty much established, they're sticking with monochrome red in the front, and amber on the sides!:mad:

They should have had ordered 108 R110B cars to make 12 trains, and 120 R110A cars to make 12 trains. It would have had made them cheaper, and they would still be running on the subway lines that they were put on. They might have had even been built to have had last longer.

Keep in mind that these trains were just prototypes... You know, the test beds for the REAL product that came out of it, they really weren't built to last just a small experiment, to put it that way.

While I will agree on the monochrome red LEDs on the front, they really could have done something better than that, but what the hell you can still see it from a distance.

Incredible video. It is great the MTA actually had trains to test out New Tech Technology. If only they did this with the R44 and R46.

The R44 was a new tech train. Back in the day it had many glitches due to the motormen not being used to the one handle controller.

The R44 was a new tech train. Back in the day it had many glitches due to the motormen not being used to the one handle controller.

The glitches had nothing to do with "not being used to the controller." In fact, the original R44 controllers were generally liked by motormen.

Well. There were still a lot of new stuff that kept them in the shop for a little bit when delivery came around.

Yes, issues that were completely unrelated to the motormen and very much a result of the TA getting themselves into something that their infrastructure nor maintenance crews could handle.

That's why the 62s and 68s had a much more spartan design, like classic SMEEs with stainless steel.

I wish the R179 would look the R110B, then we would have good looking NTT's its sad how the (MTA) gives a bland design only if the R160's had that R110B face, the R160's would have been a good looking train as well as the R143's

that video really brings me back...i rode that train when i was 8 years old. great to see some of the stations before they were renovated...like 14th street with the orange columns and Dyckman street when it still had all the "200" plates on the columns. Also nice to see the old incandescent lighting on the mezzanine level of 14th and the old turnstiles.

This remains my favorite car to ride, and I'm glad to remember it. I remember exploring every inch as we crossed Jamaica Bay. Looking back at that vid, you can tell from the dress style that it was the 90's, but that car still seems more advanced than the R160 to me. I miss it.

This remains my favorite car to ride, and I'm glad to remember it. I remember exploring every inch as we crossed Jamaica Bay. Looking back at that vid, you can tell from the dress style that it was the 90's, but that car still seems more advanced than the R160 to me. I miss it.

I too remember those days in my early years of HS.

crossing the Bay was one of the tomes the C/R played the announcement describing the 2 test trains that were made for its public review at 34th St before it went revenue.

I was on that train so much the motorman and one of the engineers knew me by face and let me know when its schedule was gonna change!

Archived