MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

On 10/8/2018 at 1:21 AM, East New York said:

Express Bus Update: MTA is now in the evaluation process for the next orders of express buses. These will be the last diesel express buses ordered, and has been a very stiff competition that will come down to overall usability. I am told we will in fact order up to 37 Double Decker buses according to the current plans. It aslo appears that we can expect D45 CRT's in the near future as well. The next order is still up in the air, and could go either way. MTA is currently reviewing proposals from Alexander-Dennis, MCI, and Prevost. The final decision os expected by April 2019, with pilot delivery by next fall.

I just hope the MTA doesn't accept the Prevost X-345s as the next express bus order. The design is great, and I know there are a lot of people who likes theses buses, but it lacks a retarder, only has one standard engine, the Volvo D13, and it doesn't have the modern style feel like Low floor for ADA accessibility. The buses are great, but doesn't have these key features

Edited by East New York

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/8/2018 at 8:53 PM, Ultimategamer12c said:

Umm I'm so confuse rn with the XD40 orders aren't those topose to be FP units ? That means FP would either get 7500 -7507 from JA instead of getting 7540 -7547 cause I'm guessing it will 7520-7539 for GA  but anyone can correct me if I'm wrong 

see my comment below please

On 10/8/2018 at 8:58 PM, MHV184 said:

I noticed that Quills order has been giving to I believe JA since they have a bus that belongs to MQ. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If you all are not keeping up with the conversation, please go back and review previous pages, or reference the first page of this thread. Some of you (basically the same users) continue to be clueless as to some of what's going on and I'm not understanding why. Topics like XD40 assignments have been discussed almost every other day, and the disposition of almost everything going on in the system generally is on the first page as well.  

On 10/9/2018 at 11:40 PM, Around the Horn said:

With the 2015 order, depots received buses in batches of ten. Buses were purposefully delivered out of numerical order to keep the buses within the assigned number ranges.

It seems this time that they're building them in number order and just assigning buses randomly as they come in in packs of 15-20...

That 2014-2015 order was random as well when it comes to delivery just like all the others. The assignments however were pretty much complete when the buses came in. They didn't get anything in batches of 10, and buses are not delivered in high numbers like that from the manufacturer anyway.

What you are likely referring to and thinking of is the odd batch 7140-7150, which was sent to UP out of sequence. That was actually 11 buses, which were built with the first 20 buses off the line, and therefore are 2014 models actually.They didn't get those all at once tho. 

10 hours ago, RSMG106 said:

I just hope the MTA doesn't accept the Prevost X-345s as the next express bus order. The design is great, and I know there are a lot of people who likes theses buses, but it lacks a retarder, only has one standard engine, the Volvo D13, and it doesn't have the modern style feel like Low floor for ADA accessibility. The buses are great, but doesn't have these key features

Fuel economy is what it boiled down to for the last order. The Prevost is more fuel efficient than the classic and contemporary D-Series models. This time around, it will end up being based on the features mentioned above. They do however have a retarder as do all transit buses, and most all heavy duty vehicles.

I see MCI, and Alexander-Dennis as our next OTR coach manufacturers. 

Edited by East New York

9 hours ago, RSMG106 said:

The Prevosts do have a retarder. It's silent as hell but its there and it works. The reason why Prevost only offers the D13 is because why put money in their competitors' pockets? I want MCI to win the next order but Prevost does push a great product.

1 hour ago, SevenEleven said:

The Prevosts do have a retarder. It's silent as hell but its there and it works. The reason why Prevost only offers the D13 is because why put money in their competitors' pockets? I want MCI to win the next order but Prevost does push a great product.

I will admit that. Now I can understand why these buses are more different than the MCIs.

On 10/17/2018 at 3:30 AM, MysteriousBtrain said:

Are 5439 and 5443 2018 units? Not exactly sure since TTMG has them under "2018".

On 10/17/2018 at 1:17 PM, Around the Horn said:

Nova has done that before so I wouldn't be surprised...

5439-5442 are 2016 units. 5443-5484 are 2017 units. 5485-5530 are 2018 units.

2 hours ago, The Real said:

CHANGE IN THE 2018-19 Nova LFS Smart Bus Assignments

50 to Gun Hill (Displaces Orion 7 Next (3rd) Generations to other depots)

60 to Kingsbridge (Displaces Orion 7 Next (3rd) Generations to other depots)

*77 to Yukon (Replaces current S79 +selectbusservice fleet and displaces Orion 7 Next (3rd) Generations to other depots)

64 to Queens Village (Replaces Orion VII 1st Generation buses)

The most recent delivery schedule follows as:

Feb 2019 - 1 bus to Queens Village

March 2019 - 31 buses to Yukon, 23 buses to Queens Village

April 2019 - 10 buses to Gun Hill, 10 buses to Kingsbridge, 24 buses to Yukon

May 2019 - 15 buses to Gun Hill, 15 buses to Kingsbridge, 5 buses to Yukon, 10 buses to Queens Village

June 2019 - 15 buses each to Gun Hill, Kingsbridge and Queens Village

July 2019 - 10 buses to Gun Hill, 20 buses to Kingsbridge, 16 buses to Yukon, 15 buses to Queens Village

August 2019 - 1 bus to Yukon

(As with anything MTA, info is subject to change...this is the most current info available)

I brought this here to avoid going off-topic in the moves/transfers thread.

It makes sense to give YU all 77 LFS as their oldest local buses are nearly ten years old with a ton of mileage, meanwhile CA and CH have younger fleets.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

With the new LFS delivery assignments...

I still don't understand what's the priority of giving Gun Hill and Kingsbridge the bulk, when they'll still have NGs left over...

Why not just give Castleton (90) and move the 7000s to other depots? Then S.Is local fleet will be all LFS. 

Give QV (84) would bump NGs to wherever needs, and bump some 2011 LFS to Quill to retire RTS. 

YUK (77) 

CAS (90) would bump 7000s to wherever needed. 

1 minute ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I still don't understand what's the priority of giving Gun Hill and Kingsbridge the bulk, when they'll still have NGs left over...

Why not just give Castleton (90) and move the 7000s to other depots? Then S.Is local fleet will be all LFS. 

Give QV (84) would bump NGs to wherever needs, and bump some 2011 LFS to Quill to retire RTS. 

YUK (77) 

Why move the 7000s? They work just fine at CA. The island doesn’t need to be 100% LFS. 

12 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

YUK (77) 

Maintenance purposes. Easier to keep 3G diesels at Staten Island and displace most Bronx NGs to depots already maintaining them (probably MHV and FP which have the oldest OGs (not to replaced by the new LFS) in the system).

24 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I thought the main goal with all these deliveries was to uniform the depots so they don't need as many different parts. 

Some garages are doing that, but there’s nothing wrong with a depot having two separate fleets as opposed to say, four or more like UP had a one point.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

11 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I thought the main goal with all these deliveries was to uniform the depots so they don't need as many different parts. 

3 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

If that were the case, Jamaica wouldn't be getting XD40s.

It still is the case for the most part. Jamaica got their XD40s more to replace the RTS faster. It can be possible that the XD40s and the oddball NGs would also help out as when JA is complete with reconstruction it can take a handful of CS's fleet when the depot closes for the LGA airtrain.

8 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

It still is the case for the most part. Jamaica got their XD40s more to replace the RTS faster. It can be possible that the XD40s and the oddball NGs would also help out as when JA is complete with reconstruction it can take a handful of CS's fleet when the depot closes for the LGA airtrain.

Speaking of that, I wonder what they’ll actually do when CS closes down. I just don’t see JA and QV taking on all of their routes.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

11 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

It's not really the case when Jamaica has a crap ton of LFSs and they're getting a whole other parts inventory for a whole different bus model, which was his point.

As for the 2nd part, that's practically inevitable. Either JA or QV will eventually get CS's Xcelsior & NG fleet. But of course, it's way too early to say or determine what will happen, as that won't happen for several years. Stranger things have happened, so until then, the waiting game continues.

Edited by Cait Sith
Friggin typos. I hate posting on mobile.

13 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

It's not really the case when Jamaica has a crap ton of LFSs and they're getting a whole other parts inventory for a whole different bus model, which was his point.

As for the 2nd part, that's practically inevitable. Either JA or QV will eventually get CS's Xcelsior & NG fleet. But of course, it's way too early to say or determine what will happen, as that won't happen for several years. Stranger things have happened, so until then, the waiting game continues.

There's gonna be an overlap since there's more Xcelsiors in the local fleet than Novas, but I'm saying with this order it would've made sense parts wise to take care of S.I, and shut them up for a while local fleet wise. 

But as Btrain said, other depots are more familiar with the NGs even though the 7000s are basically the same just diesel versions. 

Right, stranger things have happened. Plus, once the Command Center in East New York is up and running, that opens up more possibilities.

Like I said, until the gears start turning, the waiting game continues.

7 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

There's gonna be an overlap since there's more Xcelsiors in the local fleet than Novas, but I'm saying with this order it would've made sense parts wise to take care of S.I, and shut them up for a while local fleet wise. 

But as Btrain said, other depots are more familiar with the NGs even though the 7000s are basically the same just diesel versions. 

The 7000s in S.I was a way to shut S.I up from the start. They disliked the 8000s to a point where folks in the community complained(I mean, that's not much of a surprise in Staten Island, but still). The 4800s were shitting the bed out there too. They weren't doing too well with the hills out there(because of that bogus LBSS modification during the delivery).

8000-8089 were rumored to stay in S.I, but that changed.

And mechanically, they're not. Parts aren't also quite the same as the NGs.

Edited by Cait Sith