MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't believe this has been mentioned already but as of writing this, all the new XD40s at MJQ currently have what I believe is the Aesys Multicolor destination signs. From what I've heard, the rest of the XD40s to MJQ will receive these destination signs but AFAIK, this isn't 100% confirmed.

On 11/6/2018 at 9:13 PM, Orion6025 said:

Well IIRC 0016-0018 are all OOS because of some brake issue from like late august or early sept (and 0020 too but given what that bus has been up to, I assume there are more issues with that one than just brakes...) so  if you are referring to that, then yes 0017 had a failure technically..

16 and 17 are still OOS, 18 and 19 are in service, and 20 is at Proterra. 

21 hours ago, B53RICH said:

Don't know if it's a loan or a move , 4946 is being tracked on the Q54.

20 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

It's at FP. Don't know if it's a short term loan or not.

It was borrowed from Grand just to cover service. It went back promptly. 

23 hours ago, NewFlyerFan said:

I don't believe this has been mentioned already but as of writing this, all the new XD40s at MJQ currently have what I believe is the Aesys Multicolor destination signs. From what I've heard, the rest of the XD40s to MJQ will receive these destination signs but AFAIK, this isn't 100% confirmed.

Not sure if it was mentioned either, but it is true. We are testing those signs out as well. As of right now the only approved default manufacturer is Hanover. They were approved as an official MTA spec after the successful install on the 4800’s and the ‘99 build RTS’ retrofit. 

Luminator is now testing again via the Proterra buses, as they were disqualified after the issues with the color signs on the LFSA’s and 7000 series XD40’s. 

9 minutes ago, Melbx15 said:

The new XD40 buses that are being delivered to MJQ, are they to push out the RTS  and if so is that going to be a problem for the M66 & M72 

Not really, the M66 and M72 will have the XD40s and LFS' since they can and have used the 65th Street Transverse before without problem

On 11/18/2018 at 12:31 AM, Melbx15 said:

It’s because the Central Park Transverse the M66 & M72  use require a certain height limit so only certain buses can fit 

Lord knows I probably shouldn't be saying this, but let's finally put the truth out there once and for all.

That was actually something Quill made up a long time ago. Quill and ENY have a love affair that dates back to first delivery.

The Governor said he wanted all the RTS gone a couple years ago. The TA started the retirement, but when Quill and ENY were up there was a major problem. ENY lost all of theirs, then told TA they needed them back or they couldn't promise reliable service, and went from 0 to 60 in 3 days. Quill told TA they couldn't afford to lose them because they were the only buses that could safely operate on the M66 and M72, as no new bus had been approved yet.  

Yeah.... Ok... I never commented on any of this till today because I am a die-hard RTS fan myself, so I just went along with all the grand legendary stories as well. I have just been amazed that for all these years the "height restriction" really worked seeing as express buses travel crosstown 7 days a week. lmao

And ENY not being able to make service if they don't have RTS'. That was even more funny that the M66/72! They basically said they need one on standby for every route in the depot. 😂

Or what about this one.... The best RTS fleet the city ever saw were arguably 8600-8703. They ended up being the ONLY non-specialized fleet (i.e CNG) in history to never be rotated through the city or even to 1 other depot.

EN and Quill got together and said "well this is the smallest batch of RTS buses we have gotten, so they need special attention." 

As an RTS fan, I find it hilarious that no one ever challenged any of these facts, and personally I'm glad no-one did. They would have been retired years ago. 

~Let that sink in.......

Edited by East New York

28 minutes ago, East New York said:

Lord knows I probably shouldn't be saying this, but let's finally put the truth out there once and for all.

That was actually something Quill made up a long time ago. Quill and ENY have a love affair that dates back to first delivery.

The Governor said he wanted all the RTS gone a couple years ago. The TA started the retirement, but when Quill and ENY were up there was a major problem. ENY lost all of theirs, then told TA they needed them back or they couldn't promise reliable service, and went from 0 to 60 in 3 days. Quill told TA they couldn't afford to lose them because they were the only buses that could safely operate on the M66 and M72, as no new bus had been approved yet.  

Yeah.... Ok... I never commented on any of this till today because I am a die-hard RTS fan myself, so I just went along with all the grand legendary stories as well. I have just been amazed that for all these years the "height restriction" really worked seeing as express buses travel crosstown 7 days a week. lmao

And ENY not being able to make service if they don't have RTS'. That was even more funny that the M66/72! They basically said they need one on standby for every route in the depot. 😂

Or what about this one.... The best RTS fleet the city ever saw were arguably 8600-8703. They ended up being the ONLY non-specialized fleet (i.e CNG) in history to never be rotated through the city or even to 1 other depot.

EN and Quill got together and said "well this is the smallest batch of RTS buses we have gotten, so they need special attention." 

As an RTS fan, I find it hilarious that no one ever challenged any of these facts, and personally I'm glad no-one did. They would have been retired years ago. 

~Let that sink in.......

The 86xx did leave ENY for UP, MJQ’s never left.