MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

Small numbers things. It's 14-15 years old and the tanks on those buses are 15 years old. The buses with 12 year tanks were retired years ago

So how long do the 29 Orions CNG buses have left being that their tanks are in the 15 year mark 

WF has about 10 more XN60’s to go, they gonna be short 

1 hour ago, Melbx15 said:

So how long do the 29 Orions CNG buses have left being that their tanks are in the 15 year mark 

WF has about 10 more XN60’s to go, they gonna be short 

They have however long it takes to hustle enough buses to west farms. Beyond the XN60s, West Farms has recieved fresh XD40s as well as transfers from quill and fresh pond, as well as the LFS transfers from Gun Hill (8354-8358) (For what it's worth, the recent D60 shakeup with the bronx three was neutral for WF IIRC), so WF is clearly open to longer term loans from other depots. Furthermore as has been stated by someone else somewhere on this site, the 2019 LFSA rolling into gun hill allow for more artics to go to WF.

There are so many factors going into orion retirement, i'd say it's impossible to estimate. Unless some of the insiders have more info

18 minutes ago, Orion6025 said:

They have however long it takes to hustle enough buses to west farms. Beyond the XN60s, West Farms has recieved fresh XD40s as well as transfers from quill and fresh pond, as well as the LFS transfers from Gun Hill (8354-8358) (For what it's worth, the recent D60 shakeup with the bronx three was neutral for WF IIRC), so WF is clearly open to longer term loans from other depots. Furthermore as has been stated by someone else somewhere on this site, the 2019 LFSA rolling into gun hill allow for more artics to go to WF.

There are so many factors going into orion retirement, i'd say it's impossible to estimate. Unless some of the insiders have more info

Fresh Pond buses went back today. They are back in Brooklyn. However, Quill transfers are there. I believe 5545, 5552 are en route to Gun Hill. 

On 12/8/2018 at 4:56 PM, JeremiahC99 said:

Okay. What makes JFK and FR special that FR has to rotate buses from JFK rather than having a dedicated fleet to themselves? Is it because FR is a smaller depot that there is a daily fleet rotation there from JFK?

Far and JK are only an exception because of Sandy. The depot for the most part has been rebuilt. The structure is still the same but the depot has undergone extensive upgrades during the rehabilitation. 

There is only a rotation because the depot is not back to full operating status just yet. Even though there are buses assigned to the depot, the main roster has everything assigned to JK. 

The rehab is just about done. I would expect it to back to full status by summer. 

7 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Since the first batch of Orion hybrids are starting to be retired, I hope 6365 is saved for the museum. Hybrids have been the backbone of the MTA Bus fleet for 10+ years now and it's only right the bus that started it all, gets saved.

Don't forget about the last remaining D60s.

1 hour ago, RSMG106 said:

Don't forget about the last remaining D60s.

One of the early D60s was saved and was apart of the museum fleet for a bit, sadly it was later scrapped. I love the D60s but I would be shocked if one got saved, a unit that ran on the BX12 SBS when it first started would be ideal IMO.

2 minutes ago, Calvin said:

I heard that the B38 will be at Grand Av only (entire route) and that the split at FP is done next month. Wonder if that's true. 

Yes sir.. This is valid. The 38 and Q58 are leaving fresh pond for destination Grand Avenue

This makes no sense to take the Q58 out of FP since it stops directly right in front. However, FP just got screwed big time in the division.

40 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Yes sir.. This is valid. The 38 and Q58 are leaving fresh pond for destination Grand Avenue

This makes no sense to take the Q58 out of FP since it stops directly right in front. However, FP just got screwed big time in the division.

Eventually the Q58 and B38 are supposed to have artics ( I think, atleast it seems to make sense). 

Edited by Jdog14

On 12/23/2018 at 11:36 PM, aemoreira81 said:

If the Q58 goes to Fresh Pond, there should be short-turns ending at 61 Street. I'm surprised about these moves given that the current assignments are more optimized for deadheads.

The deadhead from Grand Avenue to Ridgewood Terminal isn't that long, so I don't think it's a matter of deadheads since some Q58s deadhead from Flushing to the depot too.

-------------------------------

As posted in the bus moves thread, 1000 and 1017 are at the vendor facility.

48 minutes ago, The TransitMan said:

The TTMG roster has been updated.

One of the many highlights, #7688-7689, #7691 are now at Jamaica. Well, that was short-lived.

Very short lived at East New York. Just saw 7687 working the B45 earlier today. Something tells me that both 7686 and 7687 will make the trip to Queens soon. 

5 hours ago, Melbx15 said:

Have some of the Orion VII CNG buses at WF been reactivated ? cause before there were only 24 in service now it’s 27 In service

Some people have been counting the Orions stored at eastchester as retired even though they're still on the roster leading to lower numbers than actually existing

14 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

7685. It was renumbered because of incoming XD40s in the same number range (kinda like the Artics and D60HF).

At the current rate, more O7 CNGs may get renumbered given that XD40s are coming in fast. 

They should’ve started that during the time that the XDs was coming in for the B46+.