MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

Got a big surprise on my way home from work, yesterday....when I came out of the Forest Hills subway station, there on the Q-64 was an articulated...

Another passenger told me he had one a few weeks ago, but this was new to me.

It didn't take long for the Queens College bound student's to notice and promptly plug their phones into the overhead USB receptacles....  :)

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

The proterra pilot bus has green carpet seats and doesn't have the yellow touch strips on the rear doors, as well as a few other changes, seen in the photos posted in transbus link in the moves & transfer thread and a mini discussion followed, replying here cause its more on topic for this thread vs the transfer one.

I wonder if these are new TA specs for buses.

6 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

The proterra pilot bus has green carpet seats and doesn't have the yellow touch strips on the rear doors, as well as a few other changes, seen in the photos posted in transbus link in the moves & transfer thread and a mini discussion followed, replying here cause its more on topic for this thread vs the transfer one.

Those buses are leased. The actual ta specs will differ. 

• 3 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, DueceDrives said:

7483 is at flatbush.. when i operated it 2 weeks ago it only had 6000 miles

Yeh. Saw it on the 41 around that same time heading Downtown before the snow storm. 

They haven't slapped any ads on that bus yet? 

I can only guess when the new buses in the blue and yellow won't have any ads on them when they come in. 

On 12/7/2017 at 3:28 PM, trainfan22 said:

That was just bus 0021. It's the infrastructure test bus and it's just in standard demo specs.

On 12/7/2017 at 3:35 PM, Jdog14 said:

Those buses are leased. The actual ta specs will differ. 

No, that's actually not correct. All of our buses are built to current MTA specs. These are pilot buses for the upcoming order. They are just on a 36 month lease.  

On 12/18/2017 at 6:37 PM, NovaLFSSeeker said:

How to post photos from an iphone here?

Insert the link of the photo from a host like Flickr, or Photobucket.

On 1/13/2018 at 1:14 PM, Future ENY OP said:

When did the XD order jump up to 408? Also, what's the word with 7484? Will that order start in Brooklyn Division? 

The numbers include MTA Bus along with Transit.

On 1/14/2018 at 5:16 PM, mrmallard said:

whats on order   from  nova bus 

The first page of this thread has all that information. It needs to be updated, however the Nova information is still correct.

Edited by East New York

17 hours ago, East New York said:

That was just bus 0021. It's the infrastructure test bus and it's just in standard demo specs.

No, that's actually not correct. All of our buses are built to current MTA specs. These are pilot buses for the upcoming order. They are just on a 36 month lease.  

I had a feeling that whoever said that was wrong the moment I stepped on the bus. I am actually pretty satisfied with the interior. Seems roomier for some reason. Could it be the overall rounder shape allowing for more room inside the bus? 

9 minutes ago, LTA1992 said:

I had a feeling that whoever said that was wrong the moment I stepped on the bus. I am actually pretty satisfied with the interior. Seems roomier for some reason. Could it be the overall rounder shape allowing for more room inside the bus? 

The seats are configured in MTA fashion, but the rear doors aren't.

Info from the latest docs:

Page 15:

Purchase 60 all-electric buses through 2020

* 15 articulated all-electric buses to be delivered in time for operation 
on 14th Street for the L-Line Bus Shuttle Replacement Service. 
* 45 standard all-electric bus purchase award planned for Q4 2019

Page 16:

1/3 of all new bus purchases in the 2015-2019 capital plan are 
CNG, hybrid diesel-electric, or all-electric

* 248 CNG buses (138 standard; 110 articulated)
* 285 hybrid diesel-electric standard buses
* 60 all-electric buses (45 standard; 15 articulated)

First Articulated Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) Buses
* Expands service flexibility of CNG fleet
* 110 bus purchase to be delivered by December 2018

New Hybrid-Electric Technology
* Test fleet of 10 new hybrid-electric standard buses to be delivered in 2018
* Follow-up purchase of 275 new technology hybrids planned for 2019

On board screens on page 17:

Digital Information Screens (DIS)
* Provide route and next stop information, 
as well as targeted advertising
* Included on all new bus deliveries 
beginning with the 377 New Flyer 40’ 
standard order

A lot more I can go through but I think you guys should look at the other buses to be delivered in the docs. 

Edited by MysteriousBtrain
Tried to fix the quotes but I couldn't figure it out but if anyone can fix it that would be great

The numbers are a bit different and some orders have been superseded, like the 377 buses for example. 10 of those are actually hybrids. That brings that 285 number down to 275, but we will do a full review of everything in the coming days. Just remember everything is subject to change, and things have already changed since the last public documents mentioned above. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/13/2018 at 2:37 PM, Future ENY OP said:

Yeh. Saw it on the 41 around that same time heading Downtown before the snow storm. 

They haven't slapped any ads on that bus yet? 

I can only guess when the new buses in the blue and yellow won't have any ads on them when they come in. 

I can't recall ever seeing an ad on any pilot bus though.... Someone correct me if I'm wrong. 

On 2/7/2018 at 1:18 AM, Vtrain said:

When are you finally going to update the bus assignments on what new buses & what depot(s) they will be assigned to, it still shows August 2

Well seeing as things keep changing, and I've been really busy it's delayed just a bit. I will get started on it today though. My apologies for the delay.

As many of you may have noticed, I updated the first page of this thread yesterday in preparation for some confirmation that we been waiting quite some time for. Now that it's in I will continue the rest of the updates throughout the day. 

Some notes to discus: As of right now we have conflicting fleet numbers for the XN60's and will have confirmation in the morning of whether or not they went back to 1000-1109. (I really hope it did)

All the buses currently on the B46SBS will be unwrapped, and replaced by 2018/2019 XD40's 7667-7714.

5468 is at GH for training. 

As far as JA going all LFS as originally planned, there is really no need right now seeing as the Depot will have many if not all buses transferred out during reconstruction.

Buses 9500 and 9506 are reported built and pending final audit inspection. At this time it is unconfirmed, but I have word that 9501-9505, and 9507-9510 are in fact already built. 

Last but not least, everything has been updated except the TTMG link to the official roster. New info on depot projects has been added, and old info has been updated. Thank you all for you patience. All assignments will be updated momentarily.