MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/3/2011 at 10:03 PM, East New York said:

161 New Flyer XD60 Articulated Bus options for NYCT/MTAB (TA options awarded, BC options in negotiation pre-award phase. TA pilot delivery expected summer 2018) 108 options for TA and 53 options for BC

1 hour ago, GojiMet86 said:

I believe this award is only for (MTA) NYCT only. corresponding with what ENY mentioned about the NF award for MTA bus is supposed to be later this year.

So yesterday's press release reaffirms the award for (MTA) NYCTA of 108 additional XD60's. 

33 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

I believe this award is only for (MTA) NYCT only. corresponding with what ENY mentioned about the NF award for MTA bus is supposed to be later this year.

So yesterday's press release reaffirms the award for (MTA) NYCTA of 108 additional XD60's. 

So this was part of the "second" option. I thought the 108 was part of the current order for 2017-18, but I guess I was surprised. 

Now it makes sense.

21 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

So this was part of the "second" option. I thought the 108 was part of the current order for 2017-18, but I guess I was surprised. 

Now it makes sense.

Just only wish we were getting XDE60's this year. 

Now, this order of 108 buses would possibly be a Manhattan/Brooklyn bus order. Since NFI parts are at ENY & Grand Avenue CMF and Queens. 

34 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Now, this order of 108 buses would possibly be a Manhattan/Brooklyn bus order. Since NFI parts are at ENY & Grand Avenue CMF and Queens. 

I think you may be right. As @East New York has said in earlier posts, the MTA wants all SBS buses replaced with new ones in the new scheme with the WiFi and USB ports, and they are in the process of doing that now. He also said that they want to replace the 38 LFSA’s at Flatbush depot for B44 SBS service due to this demand. If he is right, we may see some of the XD60 buses there for B44 SBS service, but we will have to wait and see.

13 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

I think you may be right. As @East New York has said in earlier posts, the MTA wants all SBS buses replaced with new ones in the new scheme with the WiFi and USB ports, and they are in the process of doing that now. He also said that they want to replace the 38 LFSA’s at Flatbush depot for B44 SBS service due to this demand. If he is right, we may see some of the XD60 buses there for B44 SBS service, but we will have to wait and see.

Yeah pretty sure this order would have some buses go to FB for the B44 sbs. Not sure what other depots would get the rest. I have a gut feeling the next lfsa order would replace the rest of the buses for GH and replace the M15 sbs fleet. 

1 hour ago, Brillant93 said:

Yeah pretty sure this order would have some buses go to FB for the B44 sbs. Not sure what other depots would get the rest. I have a gut feeling the next lfsa order would replace the rest of the buses for GH and replace the M15 sbs fleet. 

I think so too. But the question is what would the L train shuttle buses use aside from the 96 New Flyer XD40 7755-7850 buses?

Yes this order was already confirmed by me a month ago and placed on the first page of this thread. These are the options and I'm being told it's 98 diesel and 10 hybrids. I'm awaiting contract confirmation at this time. 

Please follow the first page guys. Many of the questions asked were posted there as mentioned. 

It was also mentioned that some of these buses are for EN, and possibly Flatbush. The XDE60's will be for Quill for the M14SBS.

Edited by East New York

21 hours ago, East New York said:

Yes this order was already confirmed by me a month ago and placed on the first page of this thread. These are the options and I'm being told it's 98 diesel and 10 hybrids. I'm awaiting contract confirmation at this time. 

Please follow the first page guys. Many of the questions asked were posted there as mentioned. 

It was also mentioned that some of these buses are for EN, and possibly Flatbush. The XDE60's will be for Quill for the M14SBS.

Hybrid Artic's?! that is a first 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JeremiahC99 said:

That double decker bus looks very cool. Is it also a diesel bus?

Also, what new electric buses are they talking about?

Afaik, they only make diesel enviro500s, so yes it is diesel. Just as well, it's not in the electric nor hybrid-electric scheme

By new electrics they're probably referring to the proterras and XE40s

Edited by Orion6025

6 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Double decker buses for MTA? That’s a first!! Also, when did that bus arrive in New York?

No, it's not a first. The Leyland Company gave 8 of them to NYCT in 1976, as a gifted for the United States bicentennial. They were assigned to the old 132nd Street Depot for use on the M4 and M5, and I rode them to/from junior high school. (They quickly fell into disrepair because the mostly Irish maintainers refused to touch English-made buses.)

7 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

(They quickly fell into disrepair because the mostly Irish maintainers refused to touch English-made buses.)

Is that true?! That's a wild story, crazy that those resentments were still so strong but I guess that was not long after some of the Northern Ireland events of the early-70s.

On 4/23/2018 at 10:55 AM, JeremiahC99 said:

Double decker buses for MTA? That’s a first!! Also, when did that bus arrive in New York?

This is not the first time actually about 10 years ago IIRC the MTA tested some Vanhool buses on the X17J before too.

I've ridden these buses in Canada on Go Transit a couple of times. The buses are actually not that bad. While the headroom on the upper level isn't the best when sitting it's perfectly fine. The low floor portion has more headroom would easily be able to accommodate senior citizens and wheelchair users. The main disadvantage that these buses would suffer from is dwell time. However, over time, I believe people would get used to it. 

Riding the bus in Canada I ride it on route 12 which going a single way is usually around 1hr30min to 1hr45min. This route goes on really high and windy bridges and poorly maintained and narrow roads. Yet these buses actually hold up pretty well, I do expect that they would be able to survive NYC.

Route Map and time table:
https://www.gotransit.com/static_files/gotransit/assets/pdf/TripPlanning/FullSchedules/Table12.pdf

Example of some of the streets the bus runs on.

On 4/24/2018 at 1:15 AM, MHV9218 said:

Is that true?! That's a wild story, crazy that those resentments were still so strong but I guess that was not long after some of the Northern Ireland events of the early-70s.

He is right on all aspects. Several buses was painted in two tone blue, and to be used for the 5th-Mad Ave lines (Ms1-5), however, they forgot to measure the height to the 🚦, in which they knock off it respidue. So they got rid of them. The Second version was tested on the X17 & the BxM3, before MegaBus got their hands on them, and order a serious of them. Everybody now regrets that the MTA should’ve stuck with them 

7 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

He is right on all aspects. Several buses was painted in two tone blue, and to be used for the 5th-Mad Ave lines (Ms1-5), however, they forgot to measure the height to the 🚦, in which they knock off it respidue. So they got rid of them. The Second version was tested on the X17 & the BxM3, before MegaBus got their hands on them, and order a serious of them. Everybody now regrets that the MTA should’ve stuck with them 

IMO the Alexander Dennis buses are nicer than the Vanhool buses, but that's a personal preference. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update of new NYMTA Bus Deliveries:

92 Nova BUS LFS Artics (5439-5530):
Projected 58 buses in service by the end of April 2018
Actual 62 buses in service by the end of April, placing this order ahead of schedule

10 New Flyer Xcelsior Hybrid (XDE40) (9500-9509):
Projected 5 buses in service by the end of April 2018
Actual 0 buses in service, placing this order behind schedule

110 New Flyer Xcelsior CNG Articulated (XN60) (1000-1109):
Projected deliveries to start in May 2018 with 3 buses, and major deliveries to push starting in June 2018. Actual 0 buses delivered at press time.

367 New Flyer Xcelsior (XD40) (7484-7850):
Projected deliveries to start in May 2018 with 22 buses. Actual 2 new buses delivered at press time, 7616 and 7617.

NYMTA_NFI_7617.jpg