MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

The SBS hybrids on the S79 are in good shape, those hybrids have a higher MDBF than local buses in the other four boroughs, they just look like crap. Wish Yukon was able to keep them nicer looking but those buses are fine mechanically.

Yeah, no. They are atrocious on the Verrazano bridge... When you get passed by multiple tractor trailers something is wrong.

3 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

1. Are 017 and 019 opprators ID number?

2. What are all the problems with the NG?

no. run numbers have absolutely nothing to do with the actual b/o's personal pass/payroll numbers.

all i was stating is that the Yukon NG's used on the 79sbs are atrocious looking. botched numbers and labels, etc. it's downright laughable tbh. but they seem to be some of the quicker NG's in the system. I've driven NG's out of FB and KB that weren't as quick. but that's just my visual perspective. i could be wrong. 

3 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

no. run numbers have absolutely nothing to do with the actual b/o's personal pass/payroll numbers.

Then what are the run numbers used for, they only change when bus drivers change.

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

Yeah, no. They are atrocious on the Verrazano bridge... When you get passed by multiple tractor trailers something is wrong.

Alot of that has to do with Transit governing the buses down to 40 mph (even lower for some depots)

4 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

But all those buses from FB and GA are NG's so it doesn't fix the NG problem

P.S. IDK why you gave me a thumbs down for a question I asked earlier.

technically, by bringing over the NG's from FB and GA allows for those NG's to be utilized on lines like the 44 etc, which frees up LFS's to be used on the 79 which has been happening for the past 2-3 weeks that I've been traveling on Staten Island. it may be 3 or so buses, but all that means is that at least 3 bombed out 42xx NG's aren't in passenger service 

6 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Then what are the run numbers used for, they only change when bus drivers change.

run numbers are assigned so that supervision and dispatchers can properly identify who's who on the road. and so bus operators know what assignments they are picking at any given time. run numbers are identifiers. 

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry

2 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Not really. Orion hybrids always sucked going uphill, both OG and NG, plus they are governed at 40MPH where's 18 wheelers are governed much higher. 

18 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Not really. Orion hybrids always sucked going uphill, both OG and NG, plus they are governed at 40MPH where's 18 wheelers are governed much higher. 

Are all local buses governed at 40 mph?

1 minute ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

electrical tape bus numbers... 6's turned upside down to be used as 9's... those NG's have had it. no TLC

Which NG's have elecrtical tape? I know 4245-4278 have them. Any other NG's have them?

1 minute ago, Lil 57 said:

Which NG's have elecrtical tape? I know 4245-4278 have them. Any other NG's have them?

somewhere in the 4260's (i think it's 4263) someone used black electrical tape to make a 4 and a 6 for the rear bus number marking. that has to be the tackiest s**t I've seen on the Yukon sbs NG's 

9 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

somewhere in the 4260's (i think it's 4263) someone used black electrical tape to make a 4 and a 6 for the rear bus number marking. that has to be the tackiest s**t I've seen on the Yukon sbs NG's 

Oh, I thought that you were talking about the tape to open the back door on the bus.

22 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

A few of the 2009 NGs that Yukon transferred to Quill have them. I think 4119 is one (It looks more like 411P...).

1 hour ago, DueceDrives said:

Finally FB received 5 of the new buses we were assigned for the sbs46... so far 7629 and 4 more 

7621, 7623, 7624, 7629 and 1 more are in house.  Last night i spotted 7633 and few others parked in Queens. I think those may head down as soon as today. 

Quick question, Why does the S57 run out of Yukon instead of Castleton, its a few blocks from Castleton but no where near Yukon. Same thing of why the X21 runs out of Castleton, Its the farthest depot from the route?

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

Quick question, Why does the S57 run out of Yukon instead of Castleton, its a few blocks from Castleton but no where near Yukon. Same thing of why the X21 runs out of Castleton, Its the farthest depot from the route?

The X21 was a union decision. They wanted the X21 to do well and Castleton lost some express bus service to Meredith so it went to Castleton. Castleton suffered heavily during the 2010 cuts in terms of losing express bus runs. I'm not sure about the S57, but it's not like there are tons of options. It's either going to be Yukon or Castleton, especially North-South routes unless it's really deep south, then it would go to Charleston. Meredith is express bus only. Aside from that, deadheading is generally not a big deal on Staten Island. Yukon Depot is not that far from the Southern S57 terminal (roughly 10 minutes).

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Also when Charleston opened, they had to do some route shuffling. 

The 74/78 went from Yukon/Castleton. The 57/62 went to Yukon and I can't remember if Castleton got anything in return. Also, Yukon has like zero space for anything extra. They need to keep enough space at the depot to be able to house Meredith's buses.