MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

48 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

Also when Charleston opened, they had to do some route shuffling. 

The 74/78 went from Yukon/Castleton. The 57/62 went to Yukon and I can't remember if Castleton got anything in return. Also, Yukon has like zero space for anything extra. They need to keep enough space at the depot to be able to house Meredith's buses. 

Yeah, how is the street parking situation with Yukon these days? Before Charleston opened, that depot was packed. I also don't understand the point of Meredith. If buses still have to be kept at other depots, why even bother with Meredith? It's not a full depot. The sad part is even when Charleston opened, they already had the space accounted for. It just reduced the overcrowding at Yukon and Castleton.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning! I hope everyone had a safe and fun Memorial Day weekend.

My initial update which was scheduled to begin over the weekend was changed due to some major developments. On the list for discussion this week will be the following:

1.) Total fleet review for all buses and depot operations.

2.) The New Express bus test & evaluation program and the status of Alexander Dennis DD #0022, and the confirmed in-service testing of MCI D45 CRT LE #0023.

3.) The continued operation of Manhattanville depot for the foreseeable future.

4.) The acceleration of the the 40 foot Electric order and confirmation of the XE60 electric artic program.

5.) The acceleration of the the 40 foot hybrid (XDE40) order and the status of the 10 XDE60's.

6.) The New Jamaica Depot plans to begin construction in July of 2022. 

7.) The conversion of the B46+ to artic operations.

8.) Update on the status of the B82+ and confirmation that ENY depot will not begin artic operations until 2020. 

9.) The confirmed closing of Casey Stengel Depot.

10.) The 5 Borough Bus Route Redesign Project.

11.) Digital information Screen contract has been awarded to the lowest bidder pending the required documentation is received by the MTA.

12.) NYCB/MTAB Operations merger update including new timeline to have new Bus Command Center completed by August of this year. Operations are set to begin with a soft launch next year with full operations expected by 2020. The brand new unified digital radio system is scheduled to be installed in all buses by January 2, 2021, with a pilot program scheduled to begin on Staten Island with 200 buses starting in August of 2019.

13.) The MTA Bus Company award for 25 standard buses now pushed back to 2021.

Also note the title post on the very first page of this thread has been updated and is about 80% complete. The revised assignments for the new XD40's will be completed later on today as well.

Edited by East New York

18 minutes ago, East New York said:

My initial update which was scheduled to begin over the weekend was changed due to some major developments. On the list for discussion this week will be the following:

2.) The New Express bus test & evaluation program and the status of Alexander Dennis DD #0022, and the confirmed in-service testing of MCI D45 CRT LE #0023.

4.) The acceleration of the the 40 foot Electric order and confirmation of the XE60 electric artic program.

5.) The acceleration of the the 40 foot hybrid (XDE40) order and the status of the 10 XDE60's.

8.) Update on the status of the B82+ and confirmation that ENY depot will not begin artic operations until 2020. 

11.) Digital information Screen contract has been awarded to the lowest bidder pending the required documentation is received by the MTA.

12.) NYCB/MTAB Operations merger update including new timeline to have new Bus Command Center completed by August of this year. Operations are set to begin with a soft launch next year with full operations expected by 2020. The brand new unified digital radio system is scheduled to be installed in all buses by January 2, 2021, with a pilot program scheduled to begin on Staten Island with 200 buses starting in August of 2019.

Also note the title post on the very first page of this thread has been updated and is about 80% complete. The revised assignments for the new XD40's will be completed later on today as well.

I'm lovin all this news! Except the closing of stengel :( . Damn LGA Air train...

39 minutes ago, Orion6025 said:

I'm lovin all this news! Except the closing of stengel :( . Damn LGA Air train...

I agree. The closing of CS to make way for an AirTrain that will actually make travel times to the Airport longer than the Q70 SBS sucks. I knew they should’ve gotten property in Flushing for a new depot before all of the new traffic-congesting development was built. I sense some delays due to deadheading from a farther depot will happen.

On 8/3/2011 at 10:03 PM, East New York said:

New Flyer XD60 "Xcelsior" Low Floor Articulated (Base order delivery scheduled to resume shortly) 

5987-6286 (NYCT) & (MTA) 

5987-6029 (43) Casey Stengel

6030-6108 (79) Tuskegee (100th St)

6109-6125 (17) East New York

options for TA(108) and BC(53)

6126-6233 (108) 51 for Clara Hale(146 St), and 57 for Flatbush

6234-6286 (53) 43 for Q52/3+

IS the Q52/53 SBS supposed receive all 53 of the XD60 buses numbered 6234-6286? If so, why does it say that they are getting 43 buses? Was that a typo?

2) Very excited to hear about that new MCI.

4) That article about BYD makes me a little more skeptical about electric buses, although with time that technology can improve. I wonder which of the two models is working better.

9) Dumbass Cuomo.

13) Was that 25 bus order supposed to be for Eastchester?

3 hours ago, East New York said:

B46+ turning arctic?..... I wouldn't be surprise in the future FB becomes an Arctic Fleet depot for some of their lines out there. 

27 minutes ago, DueceDrives said:

B46+ turning arctic?..... I wouldn't be surprise in the future FB becomes an Arctic Fleet depot for some of their lines out there. 

They already maintain LFSAs for the B44 SBS.

1 hour ago, GojiMet86 said:

I believe so since they're the last BC depot to have a group of RTSs (not scattered like LGA or JFK), and the Hybrids don't belong there.

1 hour ago, JeremiahC99 said:
  On 8/3/2011 at 10:03 PM, East New York said:

New Flyer XD60 "Xcelsior" Low Floor Articulated (Base order delivery scheduled to resume shortly) 

5987-6286 (NYCT) & (MTA) 

5987-6029 (43) Casey Stengel

6030-6108 (79) Tuskegee (100th St)

6109-6125 (17) East New York

options for TA(108) and BC(53)

6126-6233 (108) 51 for Clara Hale(146 St), and 57 for Flatbush

6234-6286 (53) 43 for Q52/3+

Does this mean the buses be shifted around for uniformity?  (Instead of having the odd numbers at Tuskegee and the even numbers at Casey Stengel?)

3 hours ago, East New York said:

casey stangel closing when?

when will we know the assignments for the nova 40's?"

2 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

IS the Q52/53 SBS supposed receive all 53 of the XD60 buses numbered 6234-6286? If so, why does it say that they are getting 43 buses? Was that a typo?

No what was posted is correct. 43 buses and the remaining 10 will be deployed elsewhere. 

16 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah, how is the street parking situation with Yukon these days? Before Charleston opened, that depot was packed. I also don't understand the point of Meredith. If buses still have to be kept at other depots, why even bother with Meredith? It's not a full depot. The sad part is even when Charleston opened, they already had the space accounted for. It just reduced the overcrowding at Yukon and Castleton.

Still packed. Like right now, good luck getting something in front of the depot. You're gonna have to look all the way down the block (Yukon & Richmond Av side) for a spot. If not, Forest Hill Road on the street. Yukon lost a lot of free parking that the surrounding stores gave us.

1 minute ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Rumor has it the Q70 will get the extra buses, but it is not 100% confirmed.

You may be right, but I feel that ANY route going to an airport should get extra buses, especially during the major times of travel (i.e, the holiday season) when you have all of the travelers with their luggage taking buses. Now can the please do away with the Q70 SBS fare already?

The original XD60 assignments will be updated soon. The XD40 re-assignment is delayed yet again because as of this afternoon it has changed yet again lol. glad I didn't post anything this morning! I would have been changing it by tomorrow. I was however able to confirm that the depot assignments will all remain the same as far as fleet totals. The fleet numbers for the depots is the only thing that will change. The last 88 are still unassigned, and the remaining 25 listed on the first page are still for Bus Co. in 2021.

4 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

2) Very excited to hear about that new MCI.

4) That article about BYD makes me a little more skeptical about electric buses, although with time that technology can improve. I wonder which of the two models is working better.

9) Dumbass Cuomo.

Its too early to tell where the 25 for bus will go for sure. Initial plans were for LG, however there is a major push for them to go to EC. My current intel is however stating they will be for the Q70+ as that will be the last SBS line in the entire city to not have "new" SBS buses with USB outlets, WiFi. This would mean LG would likely send 25 to EC. On the other hand, its a fact that the current LG Link fleet would have WiFi activated long before new buses come in anyway. so for now it look like LG as initially planned. We won't have concrete confirmation however until 2020.

3 hours ago, DueceDrives said:

Yes. As stated before and I kept trying to make it very clear that articulation of the route was always on the table just like the Bx6 SBS. I also mentioned a few months ago that FB was definitely on the list for XD60's to replace the current LFSA fleet.

3 hours ago, limitednyc said:

casey stangel closing when?

when will we know the assignments for the nova 40's?"

2019 Is when Construction will begin on the new Air train extension, so the depot should be closed by 2020. As mentioned above we only have preliminary borough assignments for the LFSA's. But I am being told Yukon could get up to 79 with a confirmed minimum of at least 34 being in Select scheme for the S79+.

1 hour ago, JeremiahC99 said:

So what’s going to happen during the summer? More loaned buses to cover service?

Its gonna remain as is for now. They been doing fine without them. Loans here and there are common for any depot, depending on the season and the situation.

29 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Rumor has it the Q70 will get the extra buses, but it is not 100% confirmed.

Thats actually true and confirmed. A service increase is inevitable. However artics are not confirmed at this time.

44 minutes ago, East New York said:

As mentioned above we only have preliminary borough assignments for the LFSA's. But I am being told Yukon could get up to 79 with a confirmed minimum of at least 34 being in Select scheme for the S79+.

Do they have any idea which borough the pilot is going to, or is that still up in the air as well?

Question: If Cuomo gets voted out, can't this project just be cancelled or something by the next person in line. 

This LGA Airtrain is a waste of time and money, and it will impact bus service amd reliability due to the closure of CS and the susbequent movement of buses. CS covers a lot of territory. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

9 hours ago, East New York said:

I wonder if the MTA would do a split contract between Alexander Dennis and MCI to replace a good chunk (if not all) of the pre-06 MCI buses. Staten Island could take the DD's, and Brooklyn, Queens, and The Bronx would take the MCI's. Obviously, it's too early to tell, but it's still an idea to think about. 

Poor Prevost....xD

Edited by MTABusFan925

14 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Question: If Cuomo gets voted out, can't this project just be cancelled or something by the next person in line. 

This LGA Airtrain is a waste of time and money, and it will impact bus service amd reliability due to the closure of CS and the susbequent movement of buses. CS covers a lot of territory. 

Not to mention it will make trips to the airport longer than other alternatives. Why would I take the subway all the way out to Willets Point Blvd and ride back to the airport on another train. They should've extended the Astoria Line to the airport when they had a chance. 

And you are right about delays for bus service due to the closure of CS. I think the Q32 would be hit hardest due to the fact that the route goes nowhere near Northeastern Queens. IF it was moved farther than it already is, say goodbye to reliable service on Roosevelt Avenue.

6 minutes ago, MTABusFan925 said:

I wonder if the MTA would do a split contract between Alexander Dennis and MCI to replace a good chunk (if not all) of the pre-06 MCI buses. Staten Island could take the DD's, and Brooklyn, Queens, and The Bronx would take the MCI's. Obviously, it's too early to tell, but it's still an idea to think about. 

Poor Prevost....xD

The assignments of the express buses also have other factors taken into account. For one: tunnel clearance. Keep in mind that if the DD buses are assigned to Staten Island, they can only take one route into Manhattan: via NJ and Lincoln Tunnel. They can not fit under the Battery Tunnel. In addition, only Charleston can house DD buses due to clearance, so assignments can be limited.

1 minute ago, JeremiahC99 said:

The assignments of the express buses also have other factors taken into account. For one: tunnel clearance. Keep in mind that if the DD buses are assigned to Staten Island, they can only take one route into Manhattan: via NJ and Lincoln Tunnel. They can not fit under the Battery Tunnel. In addition, only Charleston can house DD buses due to clearance, so assignments can be limited.

Mabye they can have routes go over the Brooklyn, Manhattan, Williamsburg or Queensburo bridges to have the DD's