MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Lil 57 said:

They can make a bus lane on the BQE like the one from the battery tunnel to the Verazanno.

It's easier said than done though. You'll leave it unprotected and everyone is going to be jumping in and out of it, defeating the purpose. Building a zip barrier takes time. Again, I would rather go through the tunnel and swing around to the FDR or shoot up 6th, than go through Brooklyn and deal with Canal Street.

Don't get me wrong, there are some exceptions to this but not much.

10 hours ago, East New York said:

The conversion of the B46+ to artic operations.

Update on the status of the B82+ and confirmation that ENY depot will not begin artic operations until 2020. 

Nice to hear the B46 sbs is becoming artic. It should have been a long time ago. 

I've been snooping around the net these past few weeks for more info about the B82 sbs and it looks like its unconfirmed that it will launch either later this year or early 2019. They are working with the community on the controversial segment from Ocean avenue to bay parkway. Someone asked Byford or one of the MTA officials at the last L train shutdown meeting. So I'm guessing its either going to be rerouted or just no bus lanes. But construction for the street designs in the other areas are still ongoing. 

Is there anything on the 4700s XD60 coming to Brooklyn or are they still in the Bronx for the time being? 

10 hours ago, East New York said:

with a pilot program scheduled to begin on Staten Island with 200 buses starting in August of 2019.

I'm guessing these are the new LFS buses being made. Would these move the NG's out of the island?

5 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Not to mention it will make trips to the airport longer than other alternatives. Why would I take the subway all the way out to Willets Point Blvd and ride back to the airport on another train. They should've extended the Astoria Line to the airport when they had a chance. 

And you are right about delays for bus service due to the closure of CS. I think the Q32 would be hit hardest due to the fact that the route goes nowhere near Northeastern Queens. IF it was moved farther than it already is, say goodbye to reliable service on Roosevelt Avenue.

On extending the Astoria Line to the airport---how are you dealing with the instrument landing system approach for Runway 4? Planes pass over Astoria Boulevard and the Grand Central Parkway just before touchdown.

Also, if Stengel closes, is there a major expansion in place for College Point, or will some routes be deployed elsewhere? I can't see Stengel closing without an expanded Jamaica Depot in place.

Just now, aemoreira81 said:

On extending the Astoria Line to the airport---how are you dealing with the instrument landing system approach for Runway 4? Planes pass over Astoria Boulevard and the Grand Central Parkway just before touchdown.

Also, if Stengel closes, is there a major expansion in place for College Point, or will some routes be deployed elsewhere? I can't see Stengel closing without an expanded Jamaica Depot in place.

I think College Point has room for at least 50 more buses, but even so it may mess up the entire Queens system unless everything depot on LI is involved.

The only good thing about the LGA airtrain is that it may finally be an excuse to build a "flushing terminal" but even so it's still not worth it. 

1 hour ago, aemoreira81 said:

For the B82---there are a whole bunch of 7600s parked at JFK Airport for the service, along with some Bx6 SBS artics, 9502/3, and 7484.

As of right now. Those buses are for Flatbush SBS46. No longer for East New York. No B82SBS until further notice. Check page 1. Updated as of 5/29. 

8 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

My guess would be that the line would end at the Marine Air terminal and a light rail shuttle would connect all the terminals.

17 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

My guess would be that the line would end at the Marine Air terminal and a light rail shuttle would connect all the terminals.

I think that was the original plan to extend the train to the airport. Had that been built before 1930, it would’ve made the commute better than it is now.

Instead we’re stuck with bus service which can get clogged in the airport due to construction.

And the LGA AirTrain will only make service worse for not just bus riders going to the airport, but for all riders in Northeastern Queens, due to CS closing. If this occurs while JA Depot is being reconstructed, you are going to have reliability problems in half of Queens (and the Q32 will be worse). Looks like Emperor Cuomo did not take this into account when planning this dumb AirTrain. Why doesn’t he care about Queens (aside from new buses for the city).

Edited by JeremiahC99

On 5/29/2018 at 8:57 AM, East New York said:

Good morning! I hope everyone had a safe and fun Memorial Day weekend.

My initial update which was scheduled to begin over the weekend was changed due to some major developments. On the list for discussion this week will be the following:

1.) Total fleet review for all buses and depot operations.

2.) The New Express bus test & evaluation program and the status of Alexander Dennis DD #0022, and the confirmed in-service testing of MCI D45 CRT LE #0023.

3.) The continued operation of Manhattanville depot for the foreseeable future.

4.) The acceleration of the the 40 foot Electric order and confirmation of the XE60 electric artic program.

5.) The acceleration of the the 40 foot hybrid (XDE40) order and the status of the 10 XDE60's.

6.) The New Jamaica Depot plans to begin construction in July of 2022. 

7.) The conversion of the B46+ to artic operations.

8.) Update on the status of the B82+ and confirmation that ENY depot will not begin artic operations until 2020. 

9.) The confirmed closing of Casey Stengel Depot.

10.) The 5 Borough Bus Route Redesign Project.

11.) Digital information Screen contract has been awarded to the lowest bidder pending the required documentation is received by the MTA.

12.) NYCB/MTAB Operations merger update including new timeline to have new Bus Command Center completed by August of this year. Operations are set to begin with a soft launch next year with full operations expected by 2020. The brand new unified digital radio system is scheduled to be installed in all buses by January 2, 2021, with a pilot program scheduled to begin on Staten Island with 200 buses starting in August of 2019.

13.) The MTA Bus Company award for 25 standard buses now pushed back to 2021.

Also note the title post on the very first page of this thread has been updated and is about 80% complete. The revised assignments for the new XD40's will be completed later on today as well.

my god. 

firstly, thank you @East New York for the info. secondly, Casey Stengel Depot closing will be an absolute mess. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in ATU Local 1056's union hall discussing how the hell this will work without having runs go to bus company yards. these are interesting times we're living in. personally, i can't see this closure being successful with only Queens Village & Jamaica Depots taking on runs/lines. thirdly, the sbs46 artic conversion sounds good in theory. I'm just tickled to see if the utica Avenue headways get chopped. i mean artics & 3 minute headways works for the SBS-Q44, I'd assume it would be suitable for the Sbs46. lastly, artics for east ny depot. that will be a sight to see. I'd like to assume the artics will be kept on sight and not parked in havens lot or Herkimer lot. those el pillars get in the way with parking 40 footers (shifters know the deal, lol)  but we'll have to wait & see

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry

40 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

my god. 

firstly, thank you @East New York for the info. secondly, Casey Stengel Depot closing will be an absolute mess. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in ATU Local 1056's union hall discussing how the hell this will work without having runs go to bus company yards. these are interesting times we're living in. personally, i can't see this closure being successful with only Queens Village & Jamaica Depots taking on runs/lines. thirdly, the sbs46 artic conversion sounds good in theory. I'm just tickled to see if the utica Avenue headways get chopped. i mean artics & 3 minute headways works for the SBS-Q44, I'd assume it would be suitable for the Sbs46. lastly, artics for east ny depot. that will be a sight to see. I'd like to assume the artics will be kept on sight and not parked in havens lot or Herkimer lot. those el pillars get in the way with parking 40 footers (shifters know the deal, lol)  but we'll have to wait & see

Yeah I'm  excited to see the change for the sbs46. Since last summer pick when I was doing the M Shuttle when they gave me the arctic for the day, My runoff was on Utica Ave/Malcom X BLVD straight to DeKalb Ave and make a left just to get to Throop. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't have the arctic buses operate on the 46+. The only challenge would be dealing with the Commuter vans/$1 cabs, and Eastern Pkwy area during congested time. So I would assume they will be cutting back on some of the runs once the arctic buses starts to operate on the 46+.

1 hour ago, nuyorican said:

How is Casey Stengel Depot closing and Jamaica Depot construction going to work? I was under the impression that Jamaica depot would be closing during construction. 

IIRC, the new depot is going to be across the street from the old. So it shouldn't close for the construction.

I may be wrong, so I'm waiting for the correction lol

35 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Something that needs to be on future orders is electronic run consoles for Local and Express buses. With exception to the Prevosts they come by default.  

THANK YOU! I've felt this for years. i believe once the new radios & fareboxes are purchased, the electronic run boxes will be finally integrated. NJ Transit, SEPTA & WMATA already have em, why not NYCTA

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry