MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

On 5/29/2018 at 8:57 AM, East New York said:

Good morning! I hope everyone had a safe and fun Memorial Day weekend.

My initial update which was scheduled to begin over the weekend was changed due to some major developments. On the list for discussion this week will be the following:

2.) The New Express bus test & evaluation program and the status of Alexander Dennis DD #0022, and the confirmed in-service testing of MCI D45 CRT LE #0023.

4.) The acceleration of the the 40 foot Electric order and confirmation of the XE60 electric artic program.

5.) The acceleration of the the 40 foot hybrid (XDE40) order and the status of the 10 XDE60's.

7.) The conversion of the B46+ to artic operations.

8.) Update on the status of the B82+ and confirmation that ENY depot will not begin artic operations until 2020.

10.) The 5 Borough Bus Route Redesign Project.

@East New York: Thank you for the updates. Patience is always key to this line of business as things change.

2) However, pretty excited that we are possibly getting the D45CRT LE, hopefully (NYCT) can throw in some D4500CT's 2018/2019 with the order.

4) XE60 artic would be something great for these NYC streets.

5) XDE60 artic i could only guess that's going to Manhattan

7) You did mention about the B46 going artic and its definitely about time that it does.

8.)B82SBS+ is pretty interesting  with some of the construction that has gone on in Canarsie and Starrett City already. Hopefully a restructure of the route can get things moving in the right direction.

10) Hopefully this re-design project could do alot of things. I would like (NYCT) and (MTA) to take a few pages from  Philly, Baltimore and DC and create a numbering scheme, also address issues especially with the outerboroughs that require mostly with Über, Lyft, via transportation, black car, plus address and introduce intraborough services with service to Long Island (Nassau) and Lower Westchester  providing if there's adequate market.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, DueceDrives said:

Yeah I'm  excited to see the change for the sbs46. Since last summer pick when I was doing the M Shuttle when they gave me the arctic for the day, My runoff was on Utica Ave/Malcom X BLVD straight to DeKalb Ave and make a left just to get to Throop. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't have the arctic buses operate on the 46+. The only challenge would be dealing with the Commuter vans/$1 cabs, and Eastern Pkwy area during congested time. So I would assume they will be cutting back on some of the runs once the arctic buses starts to operate on the 46+.

yep, i hear you. the same move they pulled when they converted the b44 to sbs... chop some runs off the board, expand a few paddles, then see if a headway increase will be "needed". it is what it is. 

Just now, EastFlatbushLarry said:

yep, i hear you. the same move they pulled when they converted the b44 to sbs... chop some runs off the board, expand a few paddles, then see if a headway increase will be "needed". it is what it is. 

lol... All I wanna know is has the Eagle Team scared people into finally paying on that line?  

6 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

THANK YOU! I've felt this for years. i believe once the new radios & fareboxes are purchased, the electronic run boxes will be finally integrated. NJ Transit, SEPTA & WMATA already have em, why not NYCTA

Why can't (NYCT) and (MTA) integrate electronic consoles? All these new buses we are getting until 2022 at the earliest need to come with the finest of the finest.  The future is right here in New York City if we have these on buses

5 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Hopefully this re-design project could do alot of things. I would like (NYCT) and (MTA) to take a few pages from  Philly, Baltimore and DC and create a numbering scheme,

THAT would absolutely be interesting. also NJ Transit & CT Transit have numbering schemes as well (CT recently redid their system, iirc) 

1 minute ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

THAT would absolutely be interesting. also NJ Transit & CT Transit have numbering schemes as well (CT recently redid their system, iirc) 

Yes, just noticed Connecticut and MBTA-Boston has numbering scheme.

You are correct with CT redoing their system within the last year and plus expanding the Metro-North network possibly to serve Hartford.

3 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

lol... All I wanna know is has the Eagle Team scared people into finally paying on that line?  

i believe so. people are paying on the 44, at least from what I've briefly seen. but just like over on utica, there are quite a few people paying then  handing their P.O.P. tickets off to others, so the fear of no ticket = you'll be fined is definitely present 

8 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Why can't (NYCT) and (MTA) integrate electronic consoles? All these new buses we are getting until 2022 at the earliest need to come with the finest of the finest.  The future is right here in New York City if we have these on buses

i could be mistaken, but i believe that the digital run boxes work the Same way that the fareboxes work with the destination sign display: all info is logged into the farebox and thusly is displayed on the destination sign & runbox. for awhile (and i believe currently with Bus Company) the farebox & destination sign were separately logged into. so as i said, i believe a new system has to be in place for the runbox, farebox & destination sign to be connected.

33 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

i believe so. people are paying on the 44, at least from what I've briefly seen. but just like over on utica, there are quite a few people paying then  handing their P.O.P. tickets off to others, so the fear of no ticket = you'll be fined is definitely present 

Saw that on my trip back to East Flatbush today. People getting off the bus and handing tickets off to other passengers. 

13 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Saw that on my trip back to East Flatbush today. People getting off the bus and handing tickets off to other passengers. 

Yes on the 44+ its happening so much. Last week someone did that and the eagle squad caught the action taking place and approached the guy and told him to either pay for a ticket or get off the bus.

7 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

amen. those NG's have been work horses for Yukon/the SBS S79 since the sbs began. they've earned a long overdue rehab/overhaul/rest, lord have his mercy

The only time those NG's made it to mainland was sometime in 2013 or 2014 before the S79 had it's SBS and Yukon sent down 5 buses to FB on loan for a week. After that they were ghost. FB never bother swapping decals since they were on loan.. This time these buses should head to Fresh Pond, Flatbush.

This is something I need to put in random thoughts:  Why don't East New York and Ulmer Park have NG's?

Just now, Future ENY OP said:

The only time those NG's made it to mainland was sometime in 2013 or 2014 before the S79 had it's SBS and Yukon sent down 5 buses to FB on loan for a week. After that they were ghost. FB never bother swapping decals since they were on loan.. This time these buses should head to Fresh Pond, Flatbush.

This is something I need to put in random thoughts:  Why don't East New York and Ulmer Park have NG's?

The SBS NG's also go to the mainland during snow operations.

3 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Why don't East New York and Ulmer Park have NG's?

that would solve one of the greatest mysteries in Brooklyn Division. the story i heard over the years is that originally Flatbush, East NY & Ulmer Park wanted no part of the NG order in the first place... but DOB forced them down FB's throat. also, it's been said that if Grand Avenue never was built/never opened, Ulmer Park would've had NG's forced on them too. gotta keep in mind that those 3 depots (FB, EN & UP) were RTS heavy in 2008, aside from the 67xx/68xx OG's at East NY, which they didn't want them, allegedly. i do recall an NG being at East NY Depot (i can't recall the fleet number, when exactly it was there or for how long) and i remember hearing it did a trip on the B15 to & from the Postal Facility (i could be misinformed) 

3 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

There's been a lot of unwrapped NG's and LFS buses on the S79 SBS. I wonder why?

1 hour ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

because those 42xx NG's NEED a break 😂 but the official reason? i haven't the slightest clue. 

Why is the sky blue? No one knows. 😂

There's a lot of SBS buses out for overhaul right now. It's cool to see a break from the norm. 

28 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

that would solve one of the greatest mysteries in Brooklyn Division. the story i heard over the years is that originally Flatbush, East NY & Ulmer Park wanted no part of the NG order in the first place... but DOB forced them down FB's throat. also, it's been said that if Grand Avenue never was built/never opened, Ulmer Park would've had NG's forced on them too. gotta keep in mind that those 3 depots (FB, EN & UP) were RTS heavy in 2008, aside from the 67xx/68xx OG's at East NY, which they didn't want them, allegedly. i do recall an NG being at East NY Depot (i can't recall the fleet number, when exactly it was there or for how long) and i remember hearing it did a trip on the B15 to & from the Postal Facility (i could be misinformed) 

Brooklyn never wanted Orions I’m sure they would have preferd a RTS CNG.

Edited by Kanarsie Guy

17 minutes ago, Kanarsie Guy said:

Brooklyn never wanted Orions I’m sure they would have preferd a RTS CNG.

i don't know about all that. i highly doubt that DOB wanted every brooklyn division depot possessing cng tanks. and by the way, just based on the way the museum command cng rts was treated over the last few years, i highly doubt DOB was a fan of them. also, when MTA did have cng rts's, they promptly sold them to Command Bus Company, so i don't buy this theory 

15 minutes ago, R179 8258 said:

What’s so bad about the Orion’s buses ? 

some perceive DaimlerChrysler orions (specifically the NG's) as borderline lemons or poorly built buses due to the immense electrical wiring issues they had when first purchased. the OG hybrids were also under criticism due to the braking system that originally arrived with those buses, where you had to "fan the brake" in order to come to a complete stop. once the braking system was changed to an RTS equivalent, operator loved the OG hybrids. when i was a rookie in east ny, those buses were referred to as "the Cadillac fleet", seeing as we only had the 67xx's & 68xx's... not nearly as many as other depots (RTS's were still king in 2009) 

37 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

i don't know about all that. i highly doubt that DOB wanted every brooklyn division depot possessing cng tanks. and by the way, just based on the way the museum command cng rts was treated over the last few years, i highly doubt DOB was a fan of them. also, when MTA did have cng rts's, they promptly sold them to Command Bus Company, so i don't buy this theory 

That was political the command CNG were not In poor shape Orion was cheaper. Only JG would have need CNG not that hard to do money talks thus Built NY. 8567 was not sold right away it ran for a few years.

Edited by Kanarsie Guy