MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

6 hours ago, East New York said:

It's no longer a regional bus system now that they no longer have LI Bus. 

Public's branding across the board is New York City Bus now. The only difference is the titles on the buses.  However for official purposed allnaperations are classified NYC Bus. Not Regional Bus. Therefore I think all buses should wear NYC Bus titles. If our buses traveled outside of the city or we still had LIB, then I would say just leave it plain MTA. But all MTA buses are NYC only now.

That's understandable, since all buses are now in NYC only (Except for a handful of buses that travel beyond the borders).

By the way, has there ever been talk of a plan for the MTA to take over the bus systems in Westchester County (Bee-Line system) and Suffolk County (Suffolk County Transit) to give Westchester Suffolk better service and a whole fleet of New Flyer XDE40s and XDE60s?

And if LI Bus remained with the MTA today, what fleet do you think they would've had by now?

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

4406 to Kingsbridge from Gun Hill.

Most of these 43xx buses and 44xx buses haven’t left the Bronx ever since 4424-4429 went to GA on permanent basis a few years back.   Once the new Nova order commences for the Bronx some of those buses will make it to Manhattan and Brooklyn. 

Edited by Future ENY OP
Correction

1 hour ago, JeremiahC99 said:

That's understandable, since all buses are now in NYC only (Except for a handful of buses that travel beyond the borders).

1. By the way, has there ever been talk of a plan for the MTA to take over the bus systems in Westchester County (Bee-Line system) and Suffolk County (Suffolk County Transit) to give Westchester Suffolk better service and a whole fleet of New Flyer XDE40s and XDE60s?

2. And if LI Bus remained with the MTA today, what fleet do you think they would've had by now?

1. No that'll never happen. If we recently got rid of nassau a few years ago there is no way we will pick up another non-nyc county.

2. I'm pretty sure the fleet would be the more or less the same as today. 3Gs were originally purchased by MTA and we're just moved straight to NICE in LIB standards. XN40s would likely have the rear doors and end built similar to ours and same with XN60s. 

Also there may be a bit more XN60s to convert the n6 into fully articulated and all orion 5s retired.

9 hours ago, East New York said:

It's no longer a regional bus system now that they no longer have LI Bus. 

Public's branding across the board is New York City Bus now. The only difference is the titles on the buses.  However for official purposed allnaperations are classified NYC Bus. Not Regional Bus. Therefore I think all buses should wear NYC Bus titles. If our buses traveled outside of the city or we still had LIB, then I would say just leave it plain MTA. But all MTA buses are NYC only now.

I don't really think that matters. To the public, current branding, and when you call 511 it's all NYC Bus which is the new branding anyway. No matter if it's TA, OA, or BC, it's all NYC Bus. May as well put NYC bus on all the buses. That's how it's always been and I think that small insignificant part of our history should remain.  Of nearly 6000 buses, less than 5% have pealing titles and that doesn't really matter seeing as buses are repainted every few years anyway. 

I think all agency vehicles should remain as MTA NYC Subway, NYC Bus, LIRR, MTNR, B&T. I think just plain old MTA is boring, and apparently so do my colleagues at ENY. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Just my opinion, but I did advocate for it to remain and eventually replace MTA Bus titles as well. By then when the new fareboxes and radios arrive any bus can be loaned to any Depot because they will all have the same system with the same programming for the first time. All destination sign codes are said to be merged together as well.

I also noticed that when units are moved from NYCT to BC ... BC just leaves the New York City Bus labeling. None of the 6500's or SI MCIs had their New York City Bus labeling changed to Bus. But Also I noticed RTSs moved back to NYCT from ECH LGA kept their "Bus" labeling...  I'm glad they stopped strewing with the labeling, some of changes of the labeling (especially NYC to Bus) looked real ghetto. (MTA) __________ Bus... Or (MTA) [New York City] Bus. could still see the inprint where they peeled off NYC. 

Edited by Lennyj17

8 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

1. No that'll never happen. If we recently got rid of nassau a few years ago there is no way we will pick up another non-nyc county.

2. I'm pretty sure the fleet would be the more or less the same as today. 3Gs were originally purchased by MTA and we're just moved straight to NICE in LIB standards. XN40s would likely have the rear doors and end built similar to ours and same with XN60s. 

Also there may be a bit more XN60s to convert the n6 into fully articulated and all orion 5s retired.

If @JeremiahC99 was thinking 10 years ago when it was RBO, then the fleets, as it was in the LIB, was renumbered to the 14xx, 15xx & 16xx Series, then it’s newer fleets started in the 17xx & 18xx series. But since Nassau refused to pay the (MTA) in 2011, they went differently, got Veolia, changed their name to NICE, with their letters to “n” and had their service cut, reduced & eliminated. So you can blame that on politicians. 

The BL can do better by themselves. They don’t need the (MTA)

If you wanted to see how a regional  transit operates, come to either Boston where 90% of its region is of MBTA or Philly where all but two routes are of SEPTA or SEPTA contracted. 

20 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

Some moves I would propose for mileage evening, and to standardize fleets:

1. In Staten Island Division, locate all MCIs at either Castleton or Charleston Depot so that parts only have to be stocked at one depot. I'm tempted to say Charleston.

2. To this end, it would require Charleston to give up 23 Prevosts (20 to Castleton, 3 to Yukon) in exchange for 2210-2228 and a swap with QV (see point 3).

3. On the subject of Charleston and the 2200s, the QV MCI D4500CTs likely have much lower mileage than the Charleston MCI D4500CTs. Why not swap those buses (2251-2282) and send 4300-4329 (minus the written-off 4314) back to QV? (These buses were at QV originally, but went to UP and then Charleston...to even it out, QV would get the remaining four 2800s in Staten Island Division to be used strictly as spares for when there are not enough 4300s available for service.

QV gets buses that only require 2 cycles a day and not higher mileage compared to Staten Island requirements, parts for MCIs in Staten Island are only needed at one garage (with a total of 82 buses). I see this as more efficient that stocking parts all over Staten Island Division (Yukon has one MCI, and Castleton has 22 right now).

Thing is, this isn't really needed at this point. Not a bad plan at all, however with the new buses coming in it doesn't really matter. Castleton and Charleston are the only 2 SI depots that maintain MCI's at this point, so the parts stock are restricted to those 2 for the most part now. There's really no need to consolidate, and it would actually cause the fleet to be a bit unbalanced in terms of mileage. They are where they are now for those reasons actually.

When the new buses come in, QV will swap some buses again because on what you mentioned above. It gets a bit weird when it comes to express buses and they don't really follow the same "consolidation plan" that the local fleet is transitioning to.

In a way, it looks to be quite the opposite in the future as some of the Prevost Express buses could head to bus company. 

10 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

By the way, has there ever been talk of a plan for the MTA to take over the bus systems in Westchester County (Bee-Line system) and Suffolk County (Suffolk County Transit) to give Westchester Suffolk better service and a whole fleet of New Flyer XDE40s and XDE60s?

And if LI Bus remained with the MTA today, what fleet do you think they would've had by now?

The buses that travel beyond the borders are still city buses only. They aren't operating regular service anywhere outside of New York City. Only providing service to and from the city.

There has always been talk of MTA taking over some of the other agencies simply because MTA is State Controlled. However, it's not likely to ever happen after the LI Bus/Nice situation. MTA will likely just maintain it's leasing agreements with Westchester and Nassau Counties for fare collection services. When the new fare system is introduced, Bee and NICE will have no choice but to upgrade theirs as well.

9 hours ago, limitednyc said:

when are the revised xd40  delivery assignments?

The totals have already been decided and the actual units and deliver have changed yet again. Be patient. 

7 hours ago, Lennyj17 said:

I also noticed that when units are moved from NYCT to BC ... BC just leaves the New York City Bus labeling. None of the 6500's or SI MCIs had their New York City Bus labeling changed to Bus. But Also I noticed RTSs moved back to NYCT from ECH LGA kept their "Bus" labeling...  I'm glad they stopped strewing with the labeling, some of changes of the labeling (especially NYC to Bus) looked real ghetto. (MTA) __________ Bus... Or (MTA) [New York City] Bus. could still see the inprint where they peeled off NYC. 

Right. They are not even bothering to change them anymore. The only depot that seems to be concerned about it is LaGuardia, and they need to be concerned about maintenance and making service. Not some damn titles. I'm so over that depot right now.......

Transit used to be real anal about titles, and they finally started seeing my point. No one cares except some union members and die-hard employees. 90% of the riders don't even know the difference. I haven't seen one RTS bus here in Brooklyn back from LG, and EC that they have changed back to NYC Bus. 

Hell, ENY even has 2 4800's that say MTA Bus just to prove a point that they should all say the same thing. It's a waste of time, money, resources and man hours to change some titles when legally there is absolutely nothing wrong with having NYC bus on all of them. Historically, MTA's priorities have been in all the wrong places and I continue to work every day to change that.

17 minutes ago, East New York said:

The totals have already been decided and the actual units and deliver have changed yet again. Be patient. 

Again? When are we going to have a bus order that won't have 5 billion changes to the assignments? It looks like they don't even know what they want to do with these buses anymore.

4 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

They need about 20 to make up for the Orion 7s that went to Bus Company

But to say its the bare minimum is false. The OGs were new and the XD40s are new and its not like those are small batches either. 

You want bare minimum? Take a look at QV and LGA. 

Edited by Jdog14

3 minutes ago, Jdog14 said:

But to say its the bare minimum is false. The OGs were new and the XD40s are new and its not like those are small batches either. 

You should also add Manhattanville since they haven't got any new buses.

3 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Again? When are we going to have a bus order that won't have 5 billion changes to the assignments? It looks like they don't even know what they want to do with these buses anymore.

You know, things can change over the course of an order... this one is no exception

46 minutes ago, MHV184 said:

You should also add Manhattanville since they haven't got any new buses.

It’s fair to say that their buses are in relatively good condition due to their stop-and-go nature as well as not having to travel through rough streets like the other boroughs. 

If if this is too off topic, I apologize.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

7 hours ago, Jdog14 said:

I beg to differ. They have a whole bunch of 2015 XD40s in the depot. They dont need anything new. 

A whole bunch? Try 48 (7255-7303) they will still need more to replace 6490-6530 (some of these went to BC) once the Green signed O7s go. As for @MHV184, you guys need them newbies so badly. 6365-6424 is 15-16 years old. 

9 hours ago, Jdog14 said:

No no no lol you missed understood lol. What I’m saying is whenever  thers a new bus order the always get the least. For example look at what they good the previous 2015 XDs. I know they have a lot of NG/OGs but still show FP some love. Or FP is a type of depot that just loves Hybrids then I’ll take everything back lol 

Edited by R179 8258

17 hours ago, R179 8258 said:

Wow. They stay giving FP the bear minimum on new buses

I agree, and even to the extent of the new XD40’s coming in now. Bare minimum with 20. As of now I have 7500-7519 going there. Subject to change at any moment of course. 

Edited by East New York

3 hours ago, The Real said:

New Flyer D60s 5533 and 5534 have been renumbered to 116 and 117 respectively in anticipation of the incoming new Nova LFS Artics. Which means that the other 5500-Series (and up to 5602) still on the property that are not planned to be retired will be renumbered as well.

received_389314831606942.jpegreceived_474328863075988.jpeg

(Not my photos)

Why 116-117? If anything these two should be 10x renumbers unless other 55xx's took those numbers. But that's just me.