MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

45 minutes ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Because that is what was decided. Those buses won't be around much longer anyway, so the actual numbers don't really matter too much.

I know that was what was decided, That's why I said that's just me. I say this because it's a big gap between 103 and 116. The only way this renumbering could make sense if a few of the 55xxs retired elsewhere. Again just my take. I'll wait to see what else is renumbered.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well all the d60s in the range 5531-5601 inclusive are 5532, 5535, 5536, 5543, 5546, 5548, 5554, 5555, 5557, 5559, 5567, 5572, 5573, 5574, 5576, 5577, 5578, 5580, 5582, 5583, 5586, 5588, 5593, 5594, 5595, 5598, 5599, 5600, 5601. That's 29 buses, disregarding 116 and 117 (or whatever 5533-5534 have become), so it could be that they have some internal plan to renumber up to 117 (at least), but they're just renumbering out of order.  Or they may have already renumbered random units beyond 116-117, but those two are the only ones we know about.

I'm sorry , just to go off topic...

It should be about time for East New York to get at least 30 2018 XD40 wrapped SBS'. Because of all the complaints of transit fans saying that when waiting they have to wait about 9 to 15 minutes for each of these buses on the B82 +SBS. That route is longer than the B46 +SBS. 

5 minutes ago, King Transit said:

It should be about time for East New York to get at least 30 2018 XD40 wrapped SBS'. Because of all the complaints of transit fans saying that when waiting they have to wait about 9 to 15 minutes for each of these buses on the B82 +SBS. That route is longer than the B46 +SBS. 

I got some sorry news for you.. The (MTA) is not going to add on extra buses simply b/c transit fans are saying the waits for the 82SBS are pretty long. Look the service is 3 days old. Let's all start by trusting the process that this will work. Also, take some notes and what needs changing and send those changes through the proper avenues so that everything is discussed in a cohesive way enroute to solutions.

Yes, the 82+ is longer than the 46+. Granted this is ENY's first SBS.

I remembered when FB got on board with artics alone when those buses were going down New York Avenue there were some waits along the route. However, buses were moving. All it takes is some schedule adjustments. I feel like I'm repeating myself a bit by saying this.. BE PATIENT... It takes a while for depots to get with the program of SBS.

10 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

I got some sorry news for you.. The (MTA) is not going to add on extra buses simply b/c transit fans are saying the waits for the 82SBS are pretty long. Look the service is 3 days old. Let's all start by trusting the process that this will work. Also, take some notes and what needs changing and send those changes through the proper avenues so that everything is discussed in a cohesive way enroute to solutions.

Yes, the 82+ is longer than the 46+. Granted this is ENY's first SBS.

I remembered when FB got on board with artics alone when those buses were going down New York Avenue there were some waits along the route. However, buses were moving. All it takes is some schedule adjustments. I feel like I'm repeating myself a bit by saying this.. BE PATIENT... It takes a while for depots to get with the program of SBS.

Thank you and you're correct. Just like the B46 +SBS had to figure since 2016 for their artics till 2019.

On 10/3/2018 at 5:38 PM, King Transit said:

Tell them that I said this isn’t BK. You can’t have things their way. 

Aver evaluating 7523 for a few trips on it's first day of service, along with 7667, and 7487 before it, my preliminary take is much better that I initially expected. These are now my favorites out of the XD40's. 

The LBSS has finally been tuned just right for NYC operations. These buses take off much faster and are rivaled only by a few 4800 series buses at East New York Depot. These buses also feel a lot more solid, and ride a lot smoother. I also love the fuel-saver feature, which actually works great for a city like New York where we have idling laws, and MTA requires operators to shut buses down on layover. With the Xcelsior, if the bus is idling for 15 minutes, it will automatically shut itself off.

Overall, my favorite Xcelsiors have been the CNG's and the hybrids. I am patiently awaiting delivery of 9505 to GA. This bus has been delayed a couple times. It was supposed to be delivered to GA yesterday, but the bus never made it. It is now pending delivery to GA as soon as MTA signs off on it. Note these BAE powered buses were already supposed to be in service to begin side-by-side evaluation with the other units. As of now, the Allison units have been doing pretty well with the exception of some minor maintenance issues with 9502. 

I've always been a fan of the Luminator destination sign, and that's what my RTS has. However, I am really digging the reliability of these Hanover Multi-color signs. The ODK may not be as fancy as Luminators, but the programming and hardware is quite solid. 

All the Proterra buses have Luminator test signs. If MTA is satisfied with how they operate they will then be willing to let them bid on contracts again. In case anyone did not know, MTA has a settlement agreement in place with Luminator. Any signs that need to be replaced will be replaced with Spectrum/Titan combos. For example, if a front sign goes out on a C40LF, it will be replaced with a Spectrum, and not a Titan.  Hence all the C40LF's that have Spectrum front signs now. 

In other news, all the Proterra buses now have the new rear doors installed, however they have not been running in service due to one issue. The buses have passed every MTA evaluation test except the Deceleration Test. Also known as the break test, this is to test the stopping distance, and stopping power of the bus. At this time it is not up to MTA specifications, therefore Proterra will work with MTA to find a solution.

In the meanwhile, we have an unplanned test demo on the horizon. Now known as 0021, a new Proterra is said to soon make its way to our city to undergo evaluation by the MTA. Information on this new project is limited at this time. From what I understand, we now operate test buses with the "Prodrive" electric system, and 0021 will feature the 'Duodrive" system. As soon as I can confirm, and have more information I will be sure to post. In the meanwhile, the newly released Proterra specs are now available if you all want to look at the technical side of things. The first page of this thread will be updated accordingly.

https://www.proterra.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Catalyst-40-ft-Spec-Sheet-Sept-2018.pdf

On 10/3/2018 at 5:38 PM, King Transit said:

Not off topic at all. This is the thread for these types of discussions. However transit fans rarely dictate service patterns or marketing plans unless it beneficial to all sides. If customers demand changes, then they will be looked into.

15 minutes ago, East New York said:

Aver evaluating 7523 for a few trips on it's first day of service, along with 7667, and 7487 before it, my preliminary take is much better that I initially expected. These are now my favorites out of the XD40's. 

The LBSS has finally been tuned just right for NYC operations. These buses take off much faster and are rivaled only by a few 4800 series buses at East New York Depot. These buses also feel a lot more solid, and ride a lot smoother. I also love the fuel-saver feature, which actually works great for a city like New York where we have idling laws, and MTA requires operators to shut buses down on layover. With the Xcelsior, if the bus is idling for 15 minutes, it will automatically shut itself off.

Overall, my favorite Xcelsiors have been the CNG's and the hybrids. I am patiently awaiting delivery of 9505 to GA. This bus has been delayed a couple times. It was supposed to be delivered to GA yesterday, but the bus never made it. It is now pending delivery to GA as soon as MTA signs off on it. Note these BAE powered buses were already supposed to be in service to begin side-by-side evaluation with the other units. As of now, the Allison units have been doing pretty well with the exception of some minor maintenance issues with 9502. 

I've always been a fan of the Luminator destination sign, and that's what my RTS has. However, I am really digging the reliability of these Hanover Multi-color signs. The ODK may not be as fancy as Luminators, but the programming and hardware is quite solid. 

All the Proterra buses have Luminator test signs. If MTA is satisfied with how they operate they will then be willing to let them bid on contracts again. In case anyone did not know, MTA has a settlement agreement in place with Luminator. Any signs that need to be replaced will be replaced with Spectrum/Titan combos. For example, if a front sign goes out on a C40LF, it will be replaced with a Spectrum, and not a Titan.  Hence all the C40LF's that have Spectrum front signs now. 

In other news, all the Proterra buses now have the new rear doors installed, however they have not been running in service due to one issue. The buses have passed every MTA evaluation test except the Deceleration Test. Also known as the break test, this is to test the stopping distance, and stopping power of the bus. At this time it is not up to MTA specifications, therefore Proterra will work with MTA to find a solution.

In the meanwhile, we have an unplanned test demo on the horizon. Now known as 0021, a new Proterra is said to soon make its way to our city to undergo evaluation by the MTA. Information on this new project is limited at this time. From what I understand, we now operate test buses with the "Prodrive" electric system, and 0021 will feature the 'Duodrive" system. As soon as I can confirm, and have more information I will be sure to post. In the meanwhile, the newly released Proterra specs are now available if you all want to look at the technical side of things. The first page of this thread will be updated accordingly.

https://www.proterra.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Catalyst-40-ft-Spec-Sheet-Sept-2018.pdf

Not off topic at all. This is the thread for these types of discussions. However transit fans rarely dictate service patterns or marketing plans unless it beneficial to all sides. If customers demand changes, then they will be looked into.

I'm going to assume that the DuoDrive has more range, more faster performance, and a higher gradeability than the ProDrive?

Just now, SevenEleven said:

NovaBus 8504-8572 Assignments:

Queens Vill (64) to replace the 2004 hybrids
Yukon (47) to replace the 79 fleet
Castleton (15)
Gun Hill (50)
Kingsbridge (60)
Charleston (15)

First bus due in February.

What about Manhattanville?

8 minutes ago, MHV184 said:

So does that mean they are going to keep their Orion VII Gen I for a bit longer

It's possible that MHV could get some of the Next Gens from the Bronx and Staten Island, as I'm guessing they will be moved out of their respective depots when these new Novas come in.

1 hour ago, SevenEleven said:

NovaBus 8504-8754 Assignments:

Queens Vill (64) to replace the 2004 hybrids
Yukon (47) to replace the 79 fleet
Castleton (15)
Gun Hill (50)
Kingsbridge (60)
Charleston (15)

First bus due in February.

Damm.. Manhattan is out of the running.. Bronx, Queens Village and Staten Island order only...

1 hour ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

It's possible that MHV could get some of the Next Gens from the Bronx and Staten Island, as I'm guessing they will be moved out of their respective depots when these new Novas come in.

I see the Bronx NG's possibly heading to Brooklyn and Manhattan. Yukon has a handful of NG's and I could see those also Brooklyn bound.

If I were a bettor in this situation the following depots:  Ulmer Park, Manhattanville, TU, Fresh Pond, Flatbush* Grand Avenue* would possibly get NG's. The last NG transfer from Staten Island headed to Grand Avenue and Fresh Pond.

Made no sense for these buses to go to Manhattanville and I'm glad that changed ASAP. Looks like they plan on keeping the 7000s at Castleton. Also Yukon has like 74 NGs and Staten Island is getting 77 Novas total. I see a lot of swapping about to happen. 

Charleston would lose 8170-8183, 8259 (-15) while gaining (+15) 2019 models. Result: lost 15 older, gained 15 new. 

CAS would receive 8170-8183 (+14) and lose 8228-8256 (-29) to Yukon. Then they'll receive (+15) 2019 models. Result: lost 29 older, gained 14 older( to uniform fleet) and 15 new. 

Yukon would receive 8228-8256, 8259 (+30), as well as +47 2019 models for a total of 77. They'll lose all their 2009 Orion VIIs (-74), with +3 service boost for S79. Result : lost 74 NGs, gained 30 older, 47 new. 

CH: 8120-8125, 8127-8169 (49) +15 = 64

CAS: 8170-8227 (58) +15 = 73

YUK: 8228-8317. (90) +47 = 137

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

1 hour ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Made no sense for these buses to go to Manhattanville and I'm glad that changed ASAP. Looks like they plan on keeping the 7000s at Castleton. Also Yukon has like 74 NGs and Staten Island is getting 77 Novas total. I see a lot of swapping about to happen. 

Charleston would lose 8170-8183, 8259 (-15) while gaining (+15) 2019 models. Result: lost 15 older, gained 15 new. 

CAS would receive 8170-8183 (+14) and lose 8228-8256 (-29) to Yukon. Then they'll receive (+15) 2019 models. Result: lost 29 older, gained 14 older( to uniform fleet) and 15 new. 

Yukon would receive 8228-8256, 8259 (+30), as well as +47 2019 models for a total of 77. They'll lose all their 2009 Orion VIIs (-74), with +3 service boost for S79. Result : lost 74 NGs, gained 30 older, 47 new. 

Ok so it's not confirmed that Manhattanville might receive these displaced NG's from Bronx and Staten Island things might change throughout the coming months.

2 hours ago, MHV184 said:

Ok so it's not confirmed that Manhattanville might receive these displaced NG's from Bronx and Staten Island things might change throughout the coming months.

Things are always subject to change, but come on. You really expect MHV to keep those Green OGs for a few more years, until XDEs come in by 2020? That's the only thing that makes sense now. 

Sorry, nothing new for MHV yet. They have to get some displaced units for now.

4 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

You forget the 7000s 3Gs are still in Castleton. Those after the NGs are the second oldest in the Island. Unless the (NYCTA) wants the Island to be all Novas local 😂😂😂

2 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Things are always subject to change, but come on. You really expect MHV to keep those Green OGs for a few more years, until XDEs come in by 2020? That's the only thing that makes sense now. 

Sorry, nothing new for MHV yet. They have to get some displaced units for now.

To @MHV184 your depot, isn’t it hybrid? Or hybrid-diesel