MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, East New York said:

Lord knows I probably shouldn't be saying this, but let's finally put the truth out there once and for all.

That was actually something Quill made up a long time ago. Quill and ENY have a love affair that dates back to first delivery.

The Governor said he wanted all the RTS gone a couple years ago. The TA started the retirement, but when Quill and ENY were up there was a major problem. ENY lost all of theirs, then told TA they needed them back or they couldn't promise reliable service, and went from 0 to 60 in 3 days. Quill told TA they couldn't afford to lose them because they were the only buses that could safely operate on the M66 and M72, as no new bus had been approved yet.  

Yeah.... Ok... I never commented on any of this till today because I am a die-hard RTS fan myself, so I just went along with all the grand legendary stories as well. I have just been amazed that for all these years the "height restriction" really worked seeing as express buses travel crosstown 7 days a week. lmao

And ENY not being able to make service if they don't have RTS'. That was even more funny that the M66/72! They basically said they need one on standby for every route in the depot. 😂

Or what about this one.... The best RTS fleet the city ever saw were arguably 8600-8703. They ended up being the ONLY non-specialized fleet (i.e CNG) in history to never be rotated through the city or even to 1 other depot.

EN and Quill got together and said "well this is the smallest batch of RTS buses we have gotten, so they need special attention." 

As an RTS fan, I find it hilarious that no one ever challenged any of these facts, and personally I'm glad no-one did. They would have been retired years ago. 

~Let that sink in.......

These RTS 😣 Whats the deal with FB still holding onto a few batch?..

4 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

LGA briefly had 8600s before their retirement.

The only 93-94 buses that were (barely related) to 8600-8703 at LGA were a few 8400's and one 8500. Unless it was very brief, I doubt any 8600's moved to MTA bus.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

6 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Those buses never left ENY or MQ. And I do serious research on historical bus rosters so I would know.

I remember riding 8682, 8686 a lot on the B6 only 20 made it to UP 8671-8690.

http://gallery.bustalk.info/displayimage.php?pos=-6164

Edited by Just New York

44 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

The only 93-94 buses that were (barely related) to 8600-8703 at LGA were a few 8400's and one 8500. Unless it was very brief, I doubt any 8600's moved to MTA bus.

http://gallery.bustalk.info/displayimage.php?pos=-16627

8611 on the Q35

http://gallery.bustalk.info/displayimage.php?pos=-19515

That is 8651 on the Q60 I remember that as well.

Edited by Just New York

15 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Those buses never left ENY or MQ. And I do serious research on historical bus rosters so I would know.

Since 9/7/1998. 8600-8639 originally the old OH before the depot closed for rebuilding. 8640-8670 originally Amsterdam before said date. 8671-8703 ENY since day 1. 8600-8670 combined assigned to Westside, the forerunner to the current Quill. All other RTS came and left said depot. IIRC, they was the only RTS buses with the same DD50 engine, never changed. Didn’t need to. 

10 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

JFK and FR had 8600s, now I remember riding a 8600 RTS on the Q35. Years ago I remember seeing a photo of an 8600 RTS at LGA but I can't find it.

22 hours ago, Just New York said:

The 86xx did leave ENY for UP, MJQ’s never left.

No they didn't. They were loaners, and that is all.  UP was going through a fleet shortage, so for you to say that you rode them regularly may have been true but they were still ENY buses. EN also had several trippers and put-ins on FP and UP routes back then. They were NEVER permanently assigned to UP though. They had 23 loaners during the 2004 shortage, that lasted until rebuilds came back and things could rotate around. And it was 8671-8693 to be exact since you want to get all technical.

So you may need to actually check your facts sir. You tried that...... 🤨

15 hours ago, Just New York said:

These don't count as I said and mentioned over the years. These were just bus company supplements as they were retired from Transit.

6 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

Since 9/7/1998. 8600-8639 originally the old OH before the depot closed for rebuilding. 8640-8670 originally Amsterdam before said date. 8671-8703 ENY since day 1. 8600-8670 combined assigned to Westside, the forerunner to the current Quill. All other RTS came and left said depot. IIRC, they was the only RTS buses with the same DD50 engine, never changed. Didn’t need to. 

You are almost spot on. Those were delivery loaners that were always meant for Quill (Westside at the time), very similar to how Bus got brand new loaner XD60's that are meant for Transit. 8600-8671 all went to 100 first. 8640-70 then later moved to AMS, then they all went home to Westside.

And yes every RTS from 8600+ came in with DDs50's, with the exception of the Cummins batch.

20 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

LGA briefly had 8600s before their retirement.

This is true as we have discussed this before, however the few only went to Bus because they were being retired out of TA. So technically this doesn't count. 

16 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

In defense of the rumor, the posted signs do say 9' (I believe) around the far sides of the lane. You could make a case that, as sticklers, only the O5s and RTSes really fit...

This is true, and this is the reason it was so easily implemented.

Edited by East New York

15 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

A small handful went to Far Rockaway, Baisley Park & LGA.

16 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

The funny part about the whole "Hybrids can't fit in the transverse" thing is that they have run hybrids on the M72 before and they even used a pic of one for promotional material for the bus centennial back in 2005...

They can fit, they're just afraid of the batteries getting damaged when going through the underpass, which in my opinion, is a legitimate concern.

1 hour ago, East New York said:

No they didn't. They were loaners, and that is all.  UP was going through a fleet shortage, so for you to say that you rode them regularly may have been true but they were still ENY buses. EN also had several trippers and put-ins on FP and UP routes back then. They were NEVER permanently assigned to UP though. They had 23 loaners during the 2004 shortage, that lasted until rebuilds came back and things could rotate around. And it was 8671-8693 to be exact since you want to get all technical.

These don't count as I said and mentioned over the years. These were just bus company supplements as they were retired from Transit.

You are almost spot on. Those were delivery loaners that were always meant for Quill (Westside at the time), very similar to how Bus got brand new loaner XD60's that are meant for Transit. 8600-8671 all went to 100 first. 8640-70 then later moved to AMS, then they all went home to Westside.

And yes every RTS from 8600+ came in with DDs50's, with the exception of the Cummins batch.

This is true as we have discussed this before, however the few only went to Bus because they were being retired out of TA. So technically this doesn't count. 

Definitely was longer then a fleet shortage some never went back to ENY, power trip is crazy on here lol.

17 minutes ago, Just New York said:

Definitely was longer then a fleet shortage some never went back to ENY, power trip is crazy on here lol.

That is definitely NOT true. They ALL went back. You didn't even have your numbers correct of the actual loaners. Since I am East New York, (name given to me by MTA personnel) I've been all through that depot more than 200 times since they all went back. 

Since the MTA central roster only goes back 5 years I cant check a digital copy beyond that. I do however have hard copies dating back to 1981, and prove you to be wrong. Power trip? Not at all. You just think you know it all and you don't. This wouldn't be the first time you challenged me here without your facts. Can I see some receipts please? I surely have plenty. 🤔

You also may want to check the historic rosters here as well. I just looked through them, and my hard copies just to double check that I'm not pushing false information and realize they ALL paint a picture that matches my words 100%.....

Brush up on your MTA history please before you come for me. 

-Next Bus Please

Edited by East New York

32 minutes ago, Just New York said:

You might be thinking of 8500s, 8700s, 8800s or 8900s, because the 8600s have never left ENY for longer than various short periods when they were used as loaners, as the entire 8600 fleet that ENY had, retired at ENY as well....the only batch of 8600s that actually left their designated depots were the various 8600s at MJQ depot, that went to LGA, BP and FR depots. As attached, here's a photo that I took of 8657 on the Q112....out of Baisley Park Depot.

Also....just because you're getting fact-checked, doesn't mean there's some type of lolpowertrip on this forum, there's PLENTY of depot rosters from the 90s up to 2010 and such that shows where those 8600s stayed at. ENY & I know a lot about those buses, as they were legitimately the best batch of RTSs ever built for the MTA(and also our favorites). Also, as big as this community is, if those 8600s ever did go to UP for long periods of time.....best believe that there would be photo evidence somewhere.

DSC04012.JPG

On 11/21/2018 at 5:06 PM, Just New York said:

On 11/21/2018 at 4:02 PM, East New York said:

9140-9149 Cummins 11

10 hours ago, S78 via Hylan said:

And then at some point, 9141 retired with a DD50.

I rode on that one when it first came out with the Cummins11 Engine, on the B26, later the Q54. When I first heard it, I thought it was an updated DDS50+, but it turned out to be a Cummins 11. It had nearly the identical 50, but it was a little deep. I wish that bus would have been a DDS92TA, just for kicks. 

17 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

9140-9149 Cummins 11

M11E to be exact. 😃 I liked them, but maintenance on Cummins equipped RTS' can be a headache, and ultimately the DD lasts longer, and costs less to maintain. I had a feeling that would be the first and last batch, and it definitely was. 

2 hours ago, JFK Depot said:

smh MCH just keeps getting the short end of the stick smh

1200s are seriously beat up... must come off the M15SBS like yesterday 

Moving this over here. 

I'm assuming the new artic shake up has to do with the new LFSA not being able to make it here in nyc before the L train shutdown, i'm assuming.

I'm quite bummed out myself because the B46 sbs needs artics because it often gets packed before it completes its route. But it is what it is. 

23 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

I'm quite bummed out myself because the B46 sbs needs artics because it often gets packed before it completes its route. But it is what it is. 

I agree too. I’ve seen the B46 SBS crowds in both directions and it is really crowded between Church Avenue and Eastern Pkwy, and possibly down to Fulton Street, and I’ve seen this every day commuting to and from school. Honestly, they should’ve had articulated buses a long time ago by either siphoning a piece of it off the previous D60HF orders in the 2000s or putting in another order of artics for FB, but as you said, it is what it is. Now the XD60 order for FB, and the dream of artics on the B46, will have to wait even longer.

And speaking of XD60s for Flatbush, I want to ask something here. Let’s say that in the near future, the B41 and the B44 Local also get converted to Artic ops. The B41 has two terminals, one to Kings Plaza Mall, and another to Bergen Beach. Taking that into account, what is the maximum amount of buses needed to cover service on each route between the hours of 5:00 AM to 1:00 AM every day, and how many articulated buses would be used to accommodate that level of service during that same time period?

Edited by JeremiahC99