MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

8 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

BYD entering program? LOL, good luck!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.abqjournal.com/1246094/abq-rejecting-all-byd-art-buses-switching-to-non-electric.html/amp

Just stick with New Flyer honestly. Consistency is key, if it aint broke, don't fix it. 

I agree. However, this is the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA)  they will do anything to break up a good thing. 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

So is Flatbush getting their new buses first? Just asking because their numbers are last on the list. I know that they got two XD60s from Quill but usually when orders come in they start with the lowest ones from what I have seen. 

As with all bus deliveries, they will be delivered out of order.

9 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

As with all bus deliveries, they will be delivered out of order.

Who said and confirmed that? Yes it's true it happens often but plans always change. Flatbush could get some buses and move them to 146. Flatbush's delivery could be delayed a bit before delivery commences. In fact, it's possible for both depots to deliver simultaneously. 

Let's just wait and see what happens.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

22 hours ago, East New York said:

XD60 Options (6126-6233) - Delivery now pending, and I am being told the planned SBS assignments are as folllows.

6126-6176 (51) to Hale

6177-6233 (57) to Flatbush

Wasn’t the Oder supposed to be  6126 - 6286  are they  not replacing the  woodhaven blvd sbs fleet nomore ?  

2 minutes ago, Melbx15 said:

Wasn’t the Oder supposed to be  6126 - 6286  are they  not replacing the  woodhaven blvd sbs fleet nomore ?  

Mta bus has their own order. You have to read the first page on this thread. 

9 hours ago, Calvin said:

Not to go off-topic but was there a note that the Q52/53 SBS are getting extra XD-60s for service accommodation?

Yes they are, extra 10 buses or so. 

14 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

BYD entering program? LOL, good luck!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.abqjournal.com/1246094/abq-rejecting-all-byd-art-buses-switching-to-non-electric.html/amp

Just stick with New Flyer honestly. Consistency is key, if it aint broke, don't fix it. 

The BYD we had passed tests with very little problems.

If only Nova could lower their price, New Flyer could have real competition. I think that’s what it comes down to. Also Nova hasn’t been experimenting that much or maybe I just don’t know about it. They have been touting the same LFS model for years making slight modifications here and there. Meanwhile, New Flyer has tried multiple fuel types with their Xcelsior brand. It just feels like Nova isn’t even trying anymore which is sad cuz I like Novas better.

10 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

If only Nova could lower their price, New Flyer could have real competition. I think that’s what it comes down to. Also Nova hasn’t been experimenting that much or maybe I just don’t know about it. They have been touting the same LFS model for years making slight modifications here and there. Meanwhile, New Flyer has tried multiple fuel types with their Xcelsior brand. It just feels like Nova isn’t even trying anymore which is sad cuz I like Novas better.

The thing about Nova is that their design works and is popular it’s just that most of their business is up north. Going between Buffalo and Toronto almost every transit agency (with the exception to GO Transit) has Nova buses l. Most of them being gen 4 too. Nova bus is pretty much going by the model of if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. New Flyer for the most part is competing with everyone. That also includes Gillig which a lot of transit agencies like due to their low cost. 

That being said having been on some of gen 1 LFS and gen 4 CNG LFS in Buffalo, it’s very clear why they were picked. In Buffalo those buses are driving on snow and ice and on roads that are completely torn up. They have routes where the buses go on bridges with steep inclines while snowing. Yet theses buses have little to no problems. In fact the gen 1 buses are out lasting Gilligs in their fleet. IMO of the MTA actually invested in Nova bus and just waited the time it would end up much better for them. Nova buses always feel like they’re built with quality. I’m really confident that these buses will outlast the New Flyers too. 

15 minutes ago, IAlam said:

The thing about Nova is that their design works and is popular it’s just that most of their business is up north. Going between Buffalo and Toronto almost every transit agency (with the exception to GO Transit) has Nova buses l. Most of them being gen 4 too. Nova bus is pretty much going by the model of if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. New Flyer for the most part is competing with everyone. That also includes Gillig which a lot of transit agencies like due to their low cost. 

That being said having been on some of gen 1 LFS and gen 4 CNG LFS in Buffalo, it’s very clear why they were picked. In Buffalo those buses are driving on snow and ice and on roads that are completely torn up. They have routes where the buses go on bridges with steep inclines while snowing. Yet theses buses have little to no problems. In fact the gen 1 buses are out lasting Gilligs in their fleet. IMO of the MTA actually invested in Nova bus and just waited the time it would end up much better for them. Nova buses always feel like they’re built with quality. I’m really confident that these buses will outlast the New Flyers too. 

Weren’t nova the ones who built the 1999 rts which people on here love so much? 

2 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

Weren’t nova the ones who built the 1999 rts which people on here love so much? 

Yep, but how much different they are from the GMC RTS other than the way they look and the engine? That's why I'd put a * on giving Nova credit for the RTS considering it's not their orginal design.

8 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

It's not just about the price, it's also about meeting the delivery schedules. New Flyer excels at meeting the delivery schedules. Nova tends to have delays in their orders for various reasons, but lately, they seem to be getting back on track with other agencies.

Edited by Cait Sith

3 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

It's not just about the price, it's also about meeting the delivery schedules. New Flyer excels at meeting the delivery schedules. Nova tends to have delays in their orders for various reasons, but lately, they seem to be getting back on track with other agencies.

Honestly I'd rather take delays for quality buses. I have already two experiences with the new XD40's leaking during rain. Honestly I wonder how some of those buses even made it into service.

2 minutes ago, IAlam said:

Honestly I'd rather take delays for quality buses. I have already two experiences with the new XD40's leaking during rain. Honestly I wonder how some of those buses even made it into service.

That happens with any new bus. Some of our new Novas leak when it rains too. Leaks often happen around the emergency exit hatch, and sometimes around the HVAC vents. Those are the most common spots.

Edited by Cait Sith

22 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

That happens with any new bus. Some of our new Novas leak when it rains too. Leaks often happen around the emergency exit hatch, and sometimes around the HVAC vents. Those are the most common spots.

I can understand a couple drops from the emergency exit but the first bus this happened to me it was like it was pouring from the roof. That to me is unacceptable HAVC or not, there is no reason a constant flow of water to be falling off the roof from a bus. If I need an umbrella to ride inside a bus then it is just plain unacceptable.