MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

17 minutes ago, IAlam said:

I can understand a couple drops from the emergency exit but the first bus this happened to me it was like it was pouring from the roof. That to me is unacceptable HAVC or not, there is no reason a constant flow of water to be falling off the roof from a bus. If I need an umbrella to ride inside a bus then it is just plain unacceptable. 

Oh no, not my #1 models😡. Umbrella inside roofs, well most claim that it's bad luck and that's a myth(my mom says the same thing). It causes danger with the widing umbrella.

Edited by King Transit

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IAlam said:

I can understand a couple drops from the emergency exit but the first bus this happened to me it was like it was pouring from the roof. That to me is unacceptable HAVC or not, there is no reason a constant flow of water to be falling off the roof from a bus. If I need an umbrella to ride inside a bus then it is just plain unacceptable. 

I take it you didn't ride the Orion 7 CNGs when they were around because those were hideous in rain. I've yet to have any of the new buses leak on me like those did.

Edited by Around the Horn

9 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

I take it you didn't ride the Orion 7 CNGs when they were around because those were hideous in rain. I've yet to have any of the new buses leak on me like those did.

Omg if this ain’t the truth then Idk what is some of the D60hf’s have this problem too 

On 1/22/2019 at 1:08 PM, Calvin said:

Not to go off-topic but was there a note that the Q52/53 SBS are getting extra XD-60s for service accommodation?

Check the first page of this thread. Outside of a few changes that I need to make, details to add, and assignments to change, most everything else is the same and always current. 

On 1/22/2019 at 10:52 PM, Melbx15 said:

Wasn’t the Oder supposed to be  6126 - 6286  are they  not replacing the  woodhaven blvd sbs fleet nomore ?  

Check the first page.

11 hours ago, limitednyc said:

now that in seems that the L shutdown is off, when will the the last rts be retired?

The entire fleet has to be audited, and when we know it will be posted.

11 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

I’m assuming it will be soon enough. They’re trying to get these older buses out so I guess wait till the end of this year to see what is left. 

They, as in MTA are not trying to get rid of them. Cuomo is.

1 hour ago, IAlam said:

That’s likely only going to happen on the models at EN and UP that have the “Sunroof Hatches.”

Buses are put together by hand, so this is going to happen to an odd bus here and there where it may leak more than others. It aldepends on how things are sealed up on the assembly line. However, not one bus ever made has not suffered from this problem. 

Another note is that roof hatches especially need to be replaced every 6 years. I have this issue myself where mine leak really bad in heavy downpours. Another factor is the manufacturers of roof hatches, window seals, and HVAC units and wiring. Some are more reliable than others.

14 hours ago, East New York said:

That’s likely only going to happen on the models at EN and UP that have the “Sunroof Hatches.”

Buses are put together by hand, so this is going to happen to an odd bus here and there where it may leak more than others. It aldepends on how things are sealed up on the assembly line. However, not one bus ever made has not suffered from this problem. 

Another note is that roof hatches especially need to be replaced every 6 years. I have this issue myself where mine leak really bad in heavy downpours. Another factor is the manufacturers of roof hatches, window seals, and HVAC units and wiring. Some are more reliable than others.

I don’t think my bus was leaking from the sun roof I’ll see if I can dm you the tweet I sent later tonight. But my bus was leaking from multiple spots including windows and roof.

@East New York 

question about the electric Artics. I know you said as the demand for electric buses grow in North America the prices will go down but if the MTA is looking to be all electric in 20 years would that make the MTA spend more money on buses whether it be 40 or 60 footer on tech that isn’t proven much on NYC streets? I know our electric buses are still in testing phase but it would cost over 1 mil for an artic electric bus I think that’s a risky investment for our agency because one there isn’t much gurrantee that these buses will be affordable in 20 years and two it’s just only something in testing phase it’s not proven yet. 

Sorry if my question isn’t clear. 

3 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

whether it be 40 or 60 footer on tech that isn’t proven much on NYC streets?

I think that is the whole point of the ongoing XE40/BE40 lease; They're trying to determine which bus would do better in NYC's conditions over a small but decently long period of daily revenue service, and then choosing a manufacturer if their leased product proved sufficient for the MTA's needs.

4 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

@East New York 

question about the electric Artics. I know you said as the demand for electric buses grow in North America the prices will go down but if the MTA is looking to be all electric in 20 years would that make the MTA spend more money on buses whether it be 40 or 60 footer on tech that isn’t proven much on NYC streets? I know our electric buses are still in testing phase but it would cost over 1 mil for an artic electric bus I think that’s a risky investment for our agency because one there isn’t much gurrantee that these buses will be affordable in 20 years and two it’s just only something in testing phase it’s not proven yet. 

It's not expensive if it's fed money 😂😂😂

1 hour ago, Orion6025 said:

I think that is the whole point of the ongoing XE40/BE40 lease; They're trying to determine which bus would do better in NYC's conditions over a small but decently long period of daily revenue service, and then choosing a manufacturer if their leased product proved sufficient for the MTA's needs.

Oh okay. I was just wondering because I know electric buses and even artics are still developing tech. To me I feel that I would be smarter to invest in XDE60s until the MTA can fully trust electric vehicles. 

7 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

Oh okay. I was just wondering because I know electric buses and even artics are still developing tech. To me I feel that I would be smarter to invest in XDE60s until the MTA can fully trust electric vehicles. 

Well the XE60s are 15 of the 60 bus order. If 0011 was sent back to NF, that means that it might come back as a different number for its order. Since I’m seeing that Proterras are having some issues

3 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

Well the XE60s are 15 of the 60 bus order. If 0011 was sent back to NF, that means that it might come back as a different number for its order. Since I’m seeing that Proterras are having some issues

No the 60 bus order are the 40 footers. The XE60s are just 15 and that will be for evaluation. 

On 1/27/2019 at 2:01 PM, Brillant93 said:

@East New York 

That’s why we have a test fleet of 10. Then a production fleet of 60 will follow. 3 years is long enough to test the technology for extensive evaluation purposes. Other agencies have electric buses, so preliminary life-cycle evaluations have taken place. You have to start somewhere. It’s not that risky because it’s not that many buses and as mentioned, the feds are paying for most of it anyway. Not only that, but that’s what warranties are for. 

On 1/27/2019 at 7:19 PM, Brillant93 said:

Electric buses are still developing and maturing, but articulated buses are not. They are just longer versions as any artic is. Both the Proterra and NFI Electric buses passed Altoona Testing back in 2015.

On 1/28/2019 at 3:18 AM, FLX9304 said:

No. 0011 and it’s status has been discussed several times. Please go back a page or two and rewiew the winter updates. 

15 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

Actually, I was the one who said the 15 order XE60s. You said, 60 all 40 ftrs. It’s what the statement above said: 45/15 next year

No, the artics are coming this year. Again, please review the fleet updates.

2 minutes ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

So that's why I say #4052 on the Q76 and #4223 on the Q27 today.

That was at Kingsbridge previously, Flatbush in Brooklyn was the first depot that had it. 

Currently, at Queens Village. 

Edited by Calvin