MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Kingjunior34 said:

Yeah 

I think it has a lot to do with unions, frequencies, and logistics. 

For unions I think they will fight tooth and nail to prevent a route becoming artic because it will cut runs. But it seems like for the Bronx they keep having their routes turn into artics here and there. Like two were converted last year and one is becoming artic this year. 

Frequncies are another thing. You have high ridership routes but if they become artic it will cut down the amount of buses but to me an extra minute or two won’t hurt. 

With logistics I see it like this. You have depots that can house artic buses which are mostly in Manhattan and the Bronx but when you have places like Brooklyn or Staten Island it’s hard to convert routes into artics. When your depots can’t even house them it will cost money to make modifications to have them around and oddly enough it takes a long time (not sure why). 

But some bouroughs should have had artics way before others did and even routes. 

6 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

Rode an XDE40 on the B47 and its probably one of my new favorite buses to ride on. I love how dim it seems inside and on top of that the front lights by the ada seats slowly dims down when the doors close. 

I also rode #9500 this evening on the B47 too with my mother on our way to Radiology on Mill Ave/Ralph Ave. And my most favorite thing of this bus along with the others equipped with a different transmission, was the engine automatically shut off, so that I cannot be waken up with the vibration at a stop light/bus stop. This was my very first time riding XDE40s in my young hood, before I always record 2-3 units in action along that route(first time was late August). The XDE40/60s are best tied with the XN60s(said by an Xcelsior fan).

1 minute ago, King Transit said:

I also rode #9500 this evening on the B47 too with my mother on our way to Radiology on Mill Ave/Ralph Ave. And my most favorite thing of this bus along with the others equipped with a different transmission, was the engine automatically shut off, so that I cannot be waken up with the vibration at a stop light/bus stop. This was my very first time riding XDE40s in my young hood, before I always record 2-3 units in action along that route(first time was late August). The XDE40/60s are best tied with the XN60s(said by an Xcelsior fan).

a shame the MTA scrap plans to buy XDE60s. The MTA should focus on being more alternative fuel than just going all electric. In my opinion. 

3 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

a shame the MTA scrap plans to buy XDE60s. The MTA should focus on being more alternative fuel than just going all electric. In my opinion. 

This is why I'm creating another fantasy roster vid for YT to show the MTA solution to still give the XDE60s. I don't play about those buses, they are important. Grand Ave is being accommodated for artics, so they should receive these XDE60s for LCL or +SBS.

This is why I'm creating another fantasy roster vid for YT to show the MTA solution to still give the XDE60s. I don't play about those buses, they are important. Grand Ave is being accommodated for artics, so they should receive these XDE60s for LCL or +SBS.

Grand avenue is artic ready but no route is being planned for implementation right now. I think the MTA should try and give XDE60s a chance but it looks like the XE60s will be a go since well be seeing our first ones the end of the year for an extensive testing trial. 

3 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

Grand avenue is artic ready but no route is being planned for implementation right now. I think the MTA should try and give XDE60s a chance but it looks like the XE60s will be a go since well be seeing our first ones the end of the year for an extensive testing trial. 

The WHOLE fleet will be electric by 2040 so it makes sense that they go straight to electric 

2 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

I'm hoping for XE60s to come Quill. I want to see and watch how that plays out.

7 minutes ago, Jdog14 said:

The WHOLE fleet will be electric by 2040 so it makes sense that they go straight to electric 

Which is understandable. 

I'm hoping for XE60s to come Quill. I want to see and watch how that plays out.

They will. The XE60s will be on the M14 first I believe. 

23 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

There are 100+ artics coming our way right now. Besides replacing the 50 ish remaining D60s, there could possibly be a few XD60s bound for Brooklyn by the end of the year. 

Last I heard by 2020 MTA wanted the B15, B82+, B46+*, B38 and Q58 as artics

*Not considered for full artic implementation.

4 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

There are 100+ artics coming our way right now. Besides replacing the 50 ish remaining D60s, there could possibly be a few XD60s bound for Brooklyn by the end of the year. 

Last I heard by 2020 MTA wanted the B15, B82+, B46+*, B38 and Q58 as artics

*Not considered for full artic implementation.

Yeah we know of the XD60s we were just discussing about the XDE60s. Something the MTA scrapped in favor for the XE60s because the MTA will be all electric in about 20 years. 

I rode the XDE40 and I was impressed by it. 

Speaking of XDE60s... I rode the Bee Line units for the first time today and liked it, felt weird riding an hybrid artic with that golf cart like acceleration that hybrid buses have.

I'm very bummed the MTA will not be buying any XDE60s, would have been fun to ride them up the hills on the BX9...

11 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Speaking of XDE60s... I rode the Bee Line units for the first time today and liked it, felt weird riding an hybrid artic with that golf cart like acceleration that hybrid buses have.

I'm very bummed the MTA will not be buying any XDE60s, would have been fun to ride them up the hills on the BX9...

That's probably the only way to ride XDE60s in the area. Kind of sucks but that is the way it is. Generally speaking if we were to get XDE60 into the system I would see them test at GA/MQ and from there be based out of only Manhattan and Brooklyn division depots (OH, MQ, ENY, GA, FB)

8 minutes ago, MHV184 said:

Quick question. Are the XE60s going to be tested at every depot or just Quill.

Test at MQ and have 1 or 2 units travel system wide for long distance testing.

Also you may want to read the first post of the thread to catch up. Most of the info is already up.

13 minutes ago, MHV184 said:

Quick question. Are the XE60s going to be tested at every depot or just Quill.

"This summer in July, NFI and MTA will install 16 in depot chargers at the Manhattan Division Headquarers, Mike J. Quill depot. The majority of these XE60 buses will operate along the M14 line. A couple of these buses will operate all different types of duty cycles in all 5 boroughs. Yes ladies and gentleman, that means Staten Island as well!"

24 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

That's probably the only way to ride XDE60s in the area. Kind of sucks but that is the way it is. Generally speaking if we were to get XDE60 into the system I would see them test at GA/MQ and from there be based out of only Manhattan and Brooklyn division depots (OH, MQ, ENY, GA, FB)

Test at MQ and have 1 or 2 units travel system wide for long distance testing.

Also you may want to read the first post of the thread to catch up. Most of the info is already up.

I did read up on it just didn't understand very well. So does that mean the XE60s will go around in each depot and do some heavy duty testing?

18 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Nope cause the electric buses at Grand & Quill don't use any type of fuel, not even diesel fuel... its straight electric and the buses get recharged at the depots.

So all the Depots will be all electric by 2040 except west farms and Jackie Gleason 

14 minutes ago, Ultimategamer12c said:

Ik this is a dumb Question but can another other Depos besides [MTA BUS Co] can They use XDE40s  like FP,FB Ulmer and so on?

What do you mean? A depot that already houses hybrid buses can get XDE40s. FP, FB, and others already hybrids. I’m not sure if Ulmer Park can because it’s all diesel fuel from there.