MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

14 hours ago, IAlam said:

I'm definitely interested in seeing the performance of an all-electric coach demo. I also heard Tesla was going to release all their patents for anyone to use, so I wonder if manufacturers will take advantage of that. 

They already released it. I’m waiting on my copies now! I can’t wait to dive into all that info.

6 hours ago, Chris Alleyne said:

So is MTS actually dead or just inactive? Was Orion making an electric bus when they were still around?

Inactive. They are technically still open.

Yes Orion was. It’s a shame they were only months away from a public launch of the Orion IX and Orion X Artic. Electric was going to be a focus for those platforms. 

If anyone wants to take a travel back in time to when we didn’t have as many users and I was just coming onboard as a staff member full time, check the link below. This is how I used to post new program information all the time. Now, if I post it seems as if most people ask all the same questions 2 days later lol.

Edited by East New York

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, East New York said:

If anyone wants to take a travel back in time to when we didn’t have as many users and I was just coming onboard as a staff member full time, check the link below. This is how I used to post new program information all the time. Now, if I post it seems as if most people ask all the same questions 2 days later lol.

Any reason why MTA gave Orion so many contracts in the after 2002-2003 New Flyer D60hf's? It just feels like MTA went on a spree from 2003-2010 ordering solely Orion and at the tail end some Nova as well. New Flyer dominates the market now though. Is there a specific reason why Orion folded esp. after MTA gave them so much business?

28 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

Any reason why MTA gave Orion so many contracts in the after 2002-2003 New Flyer D60hf's? It just feels like MTA went on a spree from 2003-2010 ordering solely Orion and at the tail end some Nova as well. New Flyer dominates the market now though. Is there a specific reason why Orion folded esp. after MTA gave them so much business?

Most likely with the problems with new flyer back then plus RTS being more or less uncommon and NovaBus being out of the US market at the time. And plus at the time the main focus was Hybrid Electric buses.

MTA and NFI had an falling out over an D60HF order in the early 2000s, I think NFI didn't want to make HF buses anymore when the MTA wanted more D60HF or something like that. It was crazy because prior to the C40's/4800s being ordered ppl said the MTA would never buy NF buses again, yet here we are in 2019 and the bus fleet of full of NF buses.

I wonder why the MTA stopped buying the Orion V even though Orion offered it well into the late 2000s... Bee line has Orion V's built in the mid to late 2000s. Its funny as even though they were the same model, the 06 BL Orions and MTA 6000s Orions felt like completely different buses. 

10 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I wonder why the MTA stopped buying the Orion V even though Orion offered it well into the late 2000s... Bee line has Orion V's built in the mid to late 2000s. Its funny as even though they were the same model, the 06 BL Orions and MTA 6000s Orions felt like completely different buses. 

Likely had to do with them wanting hybrid buses, coupled with the fact that orion was building hybrid 5s.

15 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

MTA and NFI had an falling out over an D60HF order in the early 2000s, I think NFI didn't want to make HF buses anymore when the MTA wanted more D60HF or something like that. It was crazy because prior to the C40's/4800s being ordered ppl said the MTA would never buy NF buses again, yet here we are in 2019 and the bus fleet of full of NF buses.

45% of the fleet is consist of NF buses (11-15, 185-810, 1000-1109+, 4710-4799, 4810-4899, 5364-5438, 5603-5768-, 5987-6286, 7090-7875+, 9500-9509)

20% are Novas (1200-1289, 4900-5249-, 5253-5363, 5439-5602, 5770-5986, 8000-8754)

15% are Orions (3500-3783, 3800-4278, 4330-4702, 6365-6905-, 7000-7089)

10% are MCIs (2210-2303 (-1), 3000-3474 (-5), 4300-4329 (-1))

5% are Prevost (2400-2789)

Proterras account for just 0.1%

Edited by FLX9304

20 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Kind of.

New Flyer wanted MTA to go towards the LF platform but MTA wanted more HFs, some of which would've been in Queens for the Q44 in the mid-to-late 2000s. The other part of the falling out occurred when Minneapolis was getting D60HF orders for Metro Transit as far as 2007.  It took a long time for that relationship to get back to middle ground.

As for why the MTA stopped ordering Orion Vs, some of that had to do with politics at the time, especially when NYC politicians were trying to tout NYC as the city with the largest low-floor hybrid fleet.

1 minute ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Im pretty sure that before it was decided to go with a 100% electric fleet there were plans to make WF 100% CNG. And just like JG it's a lot cheaper to maintain one type of fuel/energy source and is also the reason we are heading for a 100% electric fleet.

Yeah that was the case and those XN60s were to push out those diesel artics (correct me if I’m wrong). 

4 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Apparently WF just received more XD40’s. The TA needs an option order for more XN40’s for West Farms. 

Unfortunately, that's not how it works.

Option orders are created during the RFP and contract creating process, and in the XN40 contract, there were no option orders for it.

XD40s to WF isn't a bad thing at the moment. With the L shuttles being cancelled, we'd technically have a lot of spare buses around, and sending those would be a safety blanket, since they are brand new.