MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

2 hours ago, East New York said:

No, this thread is for discussion on anything related to the fleet, operations and depots. However, as @Cait Sith said, it’s clear you don’t have a full grasp of operations. As I said WF has more buses than ANY other Depot, and the operations of today were NOT planned. The Bx6 and Bx6 local were not confirmed when the CNG artic order went in. You also have u planned maintenance issues and accidents everyday that eat into the spare factor. WF will perpetually be late now and then because of the operations demand

Yeah I don’t remember saying it was in the city. It’s at the vendor. 

Foresight is part of job as well the Bx6, Bx36 were no secret as far as ridership poor management plays a big part. Politics has it's part so something things are out of the MTA hands so I get, I just call BS when I see it not trying to justify mediocre management.

Edited by Just New York

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Just New York said:

Foresight is part of job as well the Bx6, Bx36 were no secret as far as ridership poor management plays a big part. Politics has it's part so something things are out of the MTA hands so I get, I just call BS when I see it not trying to justify mediocre management.

Politics has nothing to do with the scenarios given.

The fact of the matter is that the MTA isn't the only agency that goes through these types of issues like unplanned maintenance issues and plans that are put up on the fly such as the Bx6 going artic, which was literally thrown up not too long after the Bx6 SBS debuted. WIth the logic that you are trying to explain, you might as well say that every major agency in the US has poor management because they go through these problems too, which is straight BS.

Here's a scenario for you, say you are a janitor and you cleaned up the bathroom floor, and then someone pukes all over the floor after you did your job....is that a lack of effort to do your job? Or was that unplanned?

That's practically the same thing that happens with West Farms' fleet almost half of the time. The Orion VII CNGs are terrible when it comes to cold weather. They are most notorious for having problems starting up in temperatures below 35 degrees, which is the cause of some of their shortage issues from time to time. We have 15 left, in which their tanks are not yet expiring. So for them to get the new XD40s temporarily is a much smarter move than sending them older buses to make up for their losses.

I'm going to put my two cents here and say some of you expect assignments are concrete and are supposed to do certain things when they really aren't. These buses were meant to replace 135 CNG standards, not convert WF to CNG. If there was a need for more CNG buses (meaning more buses needed to be replaced immediately at WF), it would of been included in the plans. Maybe a handful were originally to help convert WF to CNG but the standards needed to be replaced first.

Back at that time of planning for CNGs, there were not much routes planned for artic conversion. And during planning lot of routes needed conversion like the B35, Bx6/SBS, B46 SBS, Q52/53, B15, B82, etc. It takes years to realize which routes need priority over others. Starting in 1995 the Bronx was first given it is the only borough other than Manhattan that sees overloads on nearly all routes for a majority of their rides (not to say other routes experience this as well). After the Bronx the obvious choice was Manhattan followed by Queens. When MTA/NF cancelled the option order of 65 D60s no new artics came in until 2010, which led to FB and CS being the next depots for artics as they were planned for SBS. 

The Bx6 SBS was originally supposed to use C40s (300-319 had their signs altered for such occasion) until it was decided to wait for the XN40s to arrive and make the route the first to be 100% new and fancy to make SBS more attractive. And it was later converted to XN60s because artics manages the nasty crowds better. 

And also realize that in 2016 there was 436 artics to be delivered and used system wide (not including the MTA bus order that was also coming in at the time), with the XN60 being less than 1/4 of the total. 260 D60 buses were to be replaced between between then and sometime this year. And the 110 XN60 are replacing CNGs before being considered to be used to replace D60s and/or displace any other diesels. That makes about 66-100 extra buses for elsewhere. And again, nobody can say for certain which buses need top priority because nearly every route in the city suffers from overcrowding. How can you easily find a route to put artics on with a system of around 250 routes?

Regarding the XD40s at WF, we already know they were delivered there to work the (L) shuttle. And obviously you need a few buses at a depot for training and maintenance. When Cuomo cancelled all the original bus plans for the (L) in early January there was no way to move around 20 buses to Brooklyn and elsewhere without cutting into the WF fleet. At the very least the XD40s need to stay there until displaced artics from elsewhere comes in.

The point is that no matter what you cannot know about something you do not expect. You can't earn $600 per paycheck and expect to be ok when the next paycheck is $100 short. You can't have a perfect life at home when you suddenly get a random flood. You can't have a set fleet of buses for routes x and y when z suddenly boosts in ridership during delivery of the buses and in result has to use buses from x and y. Things are always going to suddenly change no matter how "prepared" you think you are.

And if you find something better to use before implementing a plan, best believe you will be using the new method to your advantage.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain
Expanding my points

Your overall point is correct, however I need to elaborate on a few of the actual detail of your post @MysteriousBtrain

The 110 buses were ordered to shift operations towards the use of more CNG buses, and covert the Bx36, as well as boost artic ops on the Bx15 as well. In the original plan there would have been about 15 diesel artics remaining and thats all. They have 45 now because of the plan changes. The B35 was always considered, but not confirmed until finalization was made for the contract through fleet planning. Then they decided to upgrade Gleason for artic ops.

C40’s were never planned for the Bx6+. The reason many of them have replaced Spectrum color signs is because MTA has a settlement with LUMINATOR on all signs that are not the new technology. If one of the Titan signs in a C40 malfunctions, LUMINATOR will replace it with a Spectrum. This makes the signs usable in more buses, and also have common parts. 

It also would have not been the first route to use all new buses on SBS service. That would be the Q52/53+ when it comes to new branding.

Now as far as SBS goes as a whole, it ONLY started in The Bronx because MTA saw Pelham Parkway as the perfect platform to test the new service on. The B46 was the original reason for the inception of SBS. Bronx was first for Artics because of the same thing way back in 1995. If it worked there or failed there it would be low risk. They ended up going the route they did and plan certain routes based on logistics and in-service learning and analyzing of the viability. Q44 was planned years before some of the other routes. 

They still haven’t made it to the B46 just yet.

West Farms actually never got the XD40’s they have because of the (L) Train shuttle. They were scheduled to get 8 in the revised deployment plans for regular service. The only Depots confirmed for shuttle were in Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Queens. WF already had XN40’s and MTA just wanted new buses on the route. Now post (L) Train, WF has seen an increase of XD40’s to cover service since there will be enough of them to go around now that the shuttle is off.

The overall point for the above poster is “Foresight” doesn’t always matter when pattens change. Back then the B46 was the heaviest line in the city. 4 other routes have now taken that spot at one time or another. You are on point for the overall message though.

Edited by East New York

2 hours ago, East New York said:

Your overall point is correct, however I need to elaborate on a few of the actual detail of your post @MysteriousBtrain

The 110 buses were ordered to shift operations towards the use of more CNG buses, and covert the Bx36, as well as boost artic ops on the Bx15 as well. In the original plan there would have been about 15 diesel artics remaining and thats all. They have 45 now because of the plan changes. The B35 was always considered, but not confirmed until finalization was made for the contract through fleet planning. Then they decided to upgrade Gleason for artic ops.

C40’s were never planned for the Bx6+. The reason many of them have replaced Spectrum color signs is because MTA has a settlement with LUMINATOR on all signs that are not the new technology. If one of the Titan signs in a C40 malfunctions, LUMINATOR will replace it with a Spectrum. This makes the signs usable in more buses, and also have common parts. 

It also would have not been the first route to use all new buses on SBS service. That would be the Q52/53+ when it comes to new branding.

Now as far as SBS goes as a whole, it ONLY started in The Bronx because MTA saw Pelham Parkway as the perfect platform to test the new service on. The B46 was the original reason for the inception of SBS. Bronx was first for Artics because of the same thing way back in 1995. If it worked there or failed there it would be low risk. They ended up going the route they did and plan certain routes based on logistics and in-service learning and analyzing of the viability. Q44 was planned years before some of the other routes. 

They still haven’t made it to the B46 just yet.

West Farms actually never got the XD40’s they have because of the (L) Train shuttle. They were scheduled to get 8 in the revised deployment plans for regular service. The only Depots confirmed for shuttle were in Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Queens. WF already had XN40’s and MTA just wanted new buses on the route. Now post (L) Train, WF has seen an increase of XD40’s to cover service since there will be enough of them to go around now that the shuttle is off.

The overall point for the above poster is “Foresight” doesn’t always matter when pattens change. Back then the B46 was the heaviest line in the city. 4 other routes have now taken that spot at one time or another. You are on point for the overall message though.

Sounds like more excuse for poor magnement to much access to data for hiccups so simple. You money is wasted on supervisors not crossing T and dot the I it's really a joke you believe these thing are not unavolblie. 

The tanks on the CNG are something that should be priorty not waiting until everything expires. It's the same mill in most companies not just MTA nobody will address the issue and hold people accountable. Just make excuse until it directly affect a certain party then it's a issue.

The System it a joke at this point and i dont see it turning arounds anytime soon. People will use more ride share service instead of wasting money on a systems not working for the people.

6 minutes ago, Just New York said:

Sounds like more excuse for poor magnement to much access to data for hiccups so simple. You money is wasted on supervisors not crossing T and dot the I it's really a joke you believe these thing are not unavolblie. 

The tanks on the CNG are something that should be priorty not waiting until everything expires. It's the same mill in most companies not just MTA nobody will address the issue and hold people accountable. Just make excuse until it directly affect a certain party then it's a issue.

The System it a joke at this point and i dont see it turning arounds anytime soon. People will use more ride share service instead of wasting money on a systems not working for the people.

Since you seem to know so much, how about you work over there and see if you can do better? Since apparently, you seem to know a lot more, and can apparently do a lot better.

You haven't given any logical response other than "lol poor management".

It's one thing to not fully understand things, but it's another to beat a dead horse.

Edited by Cait Sith

15 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Since you seem to know so much, how about you work over there and see if you can do better? Since apparently, you seem to know a lot more, and can apparently do a lot better.

You haven't given any logical response other than "lol poor management".

It's one thing to not fully understand things, but it's another to beat a dead horse.

Respone to what?? That what  you pay them for correct. I would do a million times better then the pencials pushers wasting your money. Countdown clocks with horrible service what really the point Its too easy. My opions should not affect you giving that they give you A one service. 

Take a poll of everyday New York, CB members they wont feel like you. I watch the MTA open forums they dance around just like you with no real answer to why thing are failing. 

Edited by Just New York

34 minutes ago, Just New York said:

Respone to what?? That what  you pay them for correct. I would do a million times better then the pencials pushers wasting your money. Countdown clocks with horrible service what really the point Its too easy. My opions should not affect you giving that they give you A one service. 

Take a poll of everyday New York, CB members they wont feel like you. I watch the MTA open forums they dance around just like you with no real answer to why thing are failing. 

None of that has anything to do with the current conversation.

Once again, another cop-out.

4 hours ago, Just New York said:

I know it’s not my place to say something but I am going to anyway. You have people who know more about these things tell you point and simple things happen, it just does. You act like everything in the world works perfectly, it doesn’t. Your argumentive ways is starting to get out of hand and it’s not rational. You should listen to what others have to tell you instead of just refuting what they said which is factual. 

Yeah the MTA can probably do things better but in some cases things just simply happen cause nothing is perfect. 

7 hours ago, Just New York said:

Because CB members know exactly how to run a system of millions better than MTA. Even if MTA has perfect service you are never going to please everyone.

Are you trying to pin fault on MTA for something out of their control? Because a lot of the time that's not how it works. Take the subway for example. Everyone loves to pin the MTA at fault when a subway is delayed. But what happens when get a random drunk person that does this:

By the way this happens a lot more often than you think. A few days ago one of my friends caught a video of someone in broad daylight on the tracks while catching the R179 (A) .

7 hours ago, Just New York said:

An average bus lives to be around 15. CNGs built at the time could only last a maximum of 15 years. You're telling me that you would rather retire something that has more life or rebuild a unit rather than "wait the last possible moment". This already shows you don't know how even the smallest bus system works. It costs money to convert CNGs to other fuels no matter where you go. 

Until you prove you know how a simple bus works, all the points you are trying to make are moot. It just apples to oranges. You have your "opinion" and there's no changing it. But don't you dare say anything about knowing kow every bus system works because operating Bee-line or any other system is not the same as operating MTA.

1 hour ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Because CB members know exactly how to run a system of millions better than MTA. Even if MTA has perfect service you are never going to please everyone.

Are you trying to pin fault on MTA for something out of their control? Because a lot of the time that's not how it works. Take the subway for example. Everyone loves to pin the MTA at fault when a subway is delayed. But what happens when get a random drunk person that does this:

By the way this happens a lot more often than you think. A few days ago one of my friends caught a video of someone in broad daylight on the tracks while catching the R179 (A) .

An average bus lives to be around 15. CNGs built at the time could only last a maximum of 15 years. You're telling me that you would rather retire something that has more life or rebuild a unit rather than "wait the last possible moment". This already shows you don't know how even the smallest bus system works. It costs money to convert CNGs to other fuels no matter where you go. 

Until you prove you know how a simple bus works, all the points you are trying to make are moot. It just apples to oranges. You have your "opinion" and there's no changing it. But don't you dare say anything about knowing kow every bus system works because operating Bee-line or any other system is not the same as operating MTA.

West Farm has been open longer then 10 years has been CNG since it open so what got converted ?? JG has been CNG since 99 so once again they dropped the ball it didn't sneak up on them. I know more then you think I just don't believe in giving excuse for people not doing there jobs. 

Nothing is brand new this system is 100+ and it worst now with more technology. Not a fan of Cuomo outside of him doing what should have been done with the MTA hold the agency accountable. 

23 minutes ago, Just New York said:

West Farm has been open longer then 10 years has been CNG since it open so what got converted ?? JG has been CNG since 99 so once again they dropped the ball it didn't sneak up on them. I know more then you think I just don't believe in giving excuse for people not doing there jobs. 

Nothing is brand new this system is 100+ and it worst now with more technology. Not a fan of Cuomo outside of him doing what should have been done with the MTA hold the agency accountable. 

You are absolutely WRONG here. NYCTA since Gleason got converted to CNG way back in 1994-5 with the use of the first 30 Orion V CNGs (317, 581-610). When CO (currently WF) closed for renovations and a new look, but also will have CNG Operations in it, meanwhile, it’s buses moved to WA until 1998. It was predicted that WF would open in 2000, and close WA, but that depot closed in 1998, and got replaced by WS, now MQ. When WF finally opened after the 1st round of 69 O7 CNG buses were delivered to JG, the rest of 191 buses went to WF to be assigned to all other routes except the Bx19, which was converted to Artics the first day of depot operations. Plus, the opening of WF relieved the overcrowding at KB & GH, which at that time wasn’t keeping up with their own maintenance of older RTS buses. Their new Artics were quickly assigned to routes that wasn’t supposed to get them right away. The only easier routes at that time was the Concourse lines, Bx9, Bx12, Bx22, Bx39, & Bx55. The Bx40/42 was converted a week later. The Bx4 & Bx5 saw Artics with missed scheduling until WF opened up. 

1 hour ago, Just New York said:

26 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

You are absolutely WRONG here. NYCTA since Gleason got converted to CNG way back in 1994-5 with the use of the first 30 Orion V CNGs (317, 581-610). When CO (currently WF) closed for renovations and a new look, but also will have CNG Operations in it, meanwhile, it’s buses moved to WA until 1998. It was predicted that WF would open in 2000, and close WA, but that depot closed in 1998, and got replaced by WS, now MQ. When WF finally opened after the 1st round of 69 O7 CNG buses were delivered to JG, the rest of 191 buses went to WF to be assigned to all other routes except the Bx19, which was converted to Artics the first day of depot operations. Plus, the opening of WF relieved the overcrowding at KB & GH, which at that time wasn’t keeping up with their own maintenance of older RTS buses. Their new Artics were quickly assigned to routes that wasn’t supposed to get them right away. The only easier routes at that time was the Concourse lines, Bx9, Bx12, Bx22, Bx39, & Bx55. The Bx40/42 was converted a week later. The Bx4 & Bx5 saw Artics with missed scheduling until WF opened up. 

I would also like to point out that if you "knew" what you claim you would realize that there were no CNG artics in the US in general until earlier this decade, when we 1. already ordered a set of diesel artics and 2. testing out Xcelsiors in the system, which is necessary for EVERY bus or any transit company to make sure a unit isn't faulty or made to be a lemon. There was also no way to fully convert WF to CNG during 2005 even with a fleet of 100% CNG standards if you don't have something that doesn't exist.

Do you also realize that we have diesel coaches at SC and CP? And we didn't have CNG coaches in the country until around the same time the XN60 was introduced? So because a company that delivers to MTA does not work on a certain powertrain or fuel at the time it's the MTA's fault for being inconsistent? If you're going to fight a public agency, you should attack the manufacturers too.

Again, check your data and do your research before you assume things.

1 hour ago, Just New York said:

How did they even dropped the ball? Cuomo cancelled the L train shutdown and now we have newer buses to spare. So really the cng at wf being retired isn’t even a problem at this point. And how does new tech make things worse? I’m just curious. 

55 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

I would also like to point out that if you "knew" what you claim you would realize that there were no CNG artics in the US in general until earlier this decade, when we 1. already ordered a set of diesel artics and 2. testing out Xcelsiors in the system, which is necessary for EVERY bus or any transit company to make sure a unit isn't faulty or made to be a lemon. There was also no way to fully convert WF to CNG during 2005 even with a fleet of 100% CNG standards if you don't have something that doesn't exist.

Do you also realize that we have diesel coaches at SC and CP? And we didn't have CNG coaches in the country until around the same time the XN60 was introduced? So because a company that delivers to MTA does not work on a certain powertrain or fuel at the time it's the MTA's fault for being inconsistent? If you're going to fight a public agency, you should attack the manufacturers too.

NJT first got CNG coaches in the late 90s which were recently retired.

Edited by trainfan22

JG still had diesel before 1999 correct?? my feeling wont change when your tell me thing I know already. I'm not here to change anybody mind on what they feel about the MTA. In my 25+ years of dealing with the MTA I've see it decline due to poor management. You have supervisor sitting in cars burning gas while buses are bunching so spare me the whoa is me story with the MTA.

I have family in and around the MTA so it's not smoke I'm blowing. I'm part of a few that see this for what it really is not super coating the situation. 

55 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

NJT first got CNG coaches in the late 90s which were recently retired.

I mean in a way you aren't wrong, but to be fair NJT specializes a lot of their fleet and usually has buses not offered elsewhere. Either way that one type of bus model I did somehow miss.

But it still doesn't change the fact that it wasn't offered on other models from 2000-2010. 

14 minutes ago, Just New York said:

JG still had diesel before 1999 correct?? my feeling wont change when your tell me thing I know already. I'm not here to change anybody mind on what they feel about the MTA. In my 25+ years of dealing with the MTA I've see it decline due to poor management. You have supervisor sitting in cars burning gas while buses are bunching so spare me the whoa is me story with the MTA.

I have family in and around the MTA so it's not smoke I'm blowing. I'm part of a few that see this for what it really is not super coating the situation. 

Clearly you have NO concept or clue as to how things really work within the MTA. CNG coaches were not our thing and it’s irrelevant anyway. It’s just plain stupid for an agency the size of MTA to order CNG express buses that essentially would never be able to be transferred anywhere other than CP or SC. 

Having family working for the MTA doesn’t mean squat either. I DONT work for the MTA and get almost all information before 98% of MTA employees even hear about it. Being a contractor looking from the outside it’s quite clear MTA has lots of room for improvement. 

And when WF opened they had 0 CNG buses thank you. So what got converted? Everything starting the day they opened! Duh!!!

Then you say nothing is brand new! What??? Are you somewhere under a rock!!?? Like GTFOH with this combative bullshit. Get your facts together before you speak, or go to that other “Chat” board where anything goes. 

Next Bus Please

@East New York, I'm not as well-informed when it comes to bus operations as I am with our subway system, so I'd like to ask you a few questions about a few things I've been curious about. Specifically, my inquiry is about Baisley Park Depot.

1.) When exactly did BPD receive their XD60's?

2.) Currently, are there any plans to replace the Orion VII's they have on roster?

3.) Why is it that the routes that use articulated equipment like the Q113/Q114 LTD occasional swap equipment with routes that use standard-length buses?

8 hours ago, East New York said:

Clearly you have NO concept or clue as to how things really work within the MTA. CNG coaches were not our thing and it’s irrelevant anyway. It’s just plain stupid for an agency the size of MTA to order CNG express buses that essentially would never be able to be transferred anywhere other than CP or SC. 

Having family working for the MTA doesn’t mean squat either. I DONT work for the MTA and get almost all information before 98% of MTA employees even hear about it. Being a contractor looking from the outside it’s quite clear MTA has lots of room for improvement. 

And when WF opened they had 0 CNG buses thank you. So what got converted? Everything starting the day they opened! Duh!!!

Then you say nothing is brand new! What??? Are you somewhere under a rock!!?? Like GTFOH with this combative bullshit. Get your facts together before you speak, or go to that other “Chat” board where anything goes. 

Next Bus Please

No rock just use my eyes unlike most here who don't work for the MTA just like you. It's not killing me that the system suck I'm not going to lie to myself either. Dumb moves like closing walnut at the high of ridership with no real options are just one of many Odd moves made by MTA. You really think this broad is the life lol I still enjoy transit here or not. The facts of the bad mangement will still be there and the MTA will continue to crumble. Rock on feed your self this narrative that this is not the MTA fault if it works for you.

29 minutes ago, Just New York said:

Dumb moves like closing walnut at the high of ridership with no real options are just one of many Odd moves made by MTA.

11 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

When CO (currently WF) closed for renovations and a new look, but also will have CNG Operations in it, meanwhile, it’s buses moved to WA until 1998. It was predicted that WF would open in 2000, and close WA, but that depot closed in 1998, and got replaced by WS, now MQ.

facepalm.jpg

7 hours ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

@East New York, I'm not as well-informed when it comes to bus operations as I am with our subway system, so I'd like to ask you a few questions about a few things I've been curious about. Specifically, my inquiry is about Baisley Park Depot.

1.) When exactly did BPD receive their XD60's?

2.) Currently, are there any plans to replace the Orion VII's they have on roster?

3.) Why is it that the routes that use articulated equipment like the Q113/Q114 LTD occasional swap equipment with routes that use standard-length buses?

1.) Just about 3 years ago exactly if I recall correctly off the top of my head.

2.) At this moment there are no plans to replace them. Just rotate and probably swap them out over the next couple years. They won’t begin to retire until about 2021 in mass. They usually have 44 on average for the Q64, 110, and 112. 

The next standard 40 foot base order for MTA Bus (25 buses) was delayed a bit seeing as they want to transition to all-electric via hybrid, as well as the fact that TA is sending 6500 and 6600 series buses to BC. NG’s will be bumped in the future as well. 

3.) They don’t necessarily swap equipment. A couple runs are interlined. So you will see artics on the Q64, or 110. And here and there you will see a standard on a 111, 113 or 114. When the weather is bad you will see more standards on all the routes. The B35 for example is an articulated line, but it’s not 100% articulated. There are a few standard 40 foot runs. 

On 8/3/2011 at 10:03 PM, East New York said:

New Flyer XE60 "Xcelsior CHARGE” Low Floor Articulated AEB  (This is the MTA’s first production order for AEB’s or All-Electric Buses. Starting July 2019, Installation of MTA Purchased depot chargers will begin, and replace the current chargers leased from NFI. This order will not have a pilot bus or pilot buses, as 0011 serves at such for all technical purposes. This order will have a “Lead Bus” which is scheduled to arrive in September of 2019. The rest of the buses are planned to commence delivery beginning in November 2019, with the balance on TA property in January 2020. Please not that MTA has been offered an incentive to speed up the delivery. Sources say NFI will plan on having all the buses delivered by years end. This would mean NFI will have the lead bus ready for audit inspection in as little as 6 months.) 

Hi, I'm interested in learning more about the MTA's planned purchase of. the 15 New Flyer AEB as well as the remaining 45 Standard Electric buses yet to be ordered. Do you know if a warranty has been placed on the 15 AEB or does the MTA plan to train their existing employees to do so maintain them? 

On 8/3/2011 at 10:03 PM, East New York said:

Effective February 2019, MTA began the spec design phase for the new buses. Proterra has until October/November to qualify its bus for procurement consideration. At that time MTA will have made a decision moving forward with production immediately in December 2019.

With the remaining 45 Standard Electric Buses, what does "spec design phase" mean? Does that mean they already issued an RFP for them?