MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

Just now, Cait Sith said:

You missed the part where I said that FB's order is getting reduced. Kinda added that in late in my post.

Word now is that they're no longer getting the full allotment of 57 buses, that number has been reduced to 34, Quill is supposedly getting 24 and Hale getting 48. The entire XD60 order has been changed.

With Quill getting 36 Nova LFSAs, that could potentially send more of those buses down to Flatbush, sending more LFSAs to Manhattan and elsewhere to retire the D60s.

The dude just likes making rosters and roster predictions.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Word now is that they're no longer getting the full allotment of 57 buses, that number has been reduced to 34, Quill is supposedly getting 24 and Hale getting 48. The entire XD60 order allotment has potentially been changed.

Not to be that guy but this adds up to 106, which means 2 units are missing. I'm assuming the last 2 are unassigned at the moment.

2 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Not to be that guy but this adds up to 106, which means 2 units are missing. I'm assuming the last 2 are unassigned at the moment.

Whoops, typo on my end.

Flatbush is allegedly getting 36, not 34.

Posting on a phone sucks lmao.

1 minute ago, Brillant93 said:

Why would Flatbush not be receiving their 57 XD60s and quill getting more? 

That’s what I’m wondering as well, especially since 57 buses would put the depot in a perfect position to expand B44 SBS headways and allow for the partial conversion of the B46 SBS to Artic operations using factory fresh buses straight to the final assignments.

I also don’t think that there should be any reason for Quill to be getting any more new buses than the 77 2017-18 LFSAs and 36 2019 LFSAs for SBS and the 15 XDE60s for M14 service. It was okay for the (L) shutdown, but now that the shutdown is off, additional SBS buses for Quill should wait another year or two, since 14th Street SBS is now on hold.

10 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

Simple. Those 24 could be for local service. Which could possibly send those LFSAs elsewhere.

You also missed what I said about Quill's XD60s possibly being pushed down to FB.

Edited by Cait Sith

12 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

Yeah but the M14 is already supposed to be getting new lfsa along with XE60s for local service. Why would quill need more artics? 

1. Those XE60s are not coming for a long, long while.
2. That depends on how many LFSAs will be used for local service, if you've read up on the recent developments on those LFSAs, they've entered SBS service, not local service.
3. You've missed the part(twice) where I said that they could possibly PUSH OUT artics elsewhere to retire the D60s, along with sending their current XD60s to Flatbush to send their LFSAs elsewhere to do the same thing, reading is fundamental!

30 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

That’s what I’m wondering as well, especially since 57 buses would put the depot in a perfect position to expand B44 SBS headways and allow for the partial conversion of the B46 SBS to Artic operations using factory fresh buses straight to the final assignments.

I also don’t think that there should be any reason for Quill to be getting any more new buses than the 77 2017-18 LFSAs and 36 2019 LFSAs for SBS and the 15 XDE60s for M14 service. It was okay for the (L) shutdown, but now that the shutdown is off, additional SBS buses for Quill should wait another year or two, since 14th Street SBS is now on hold.

Here's a math problem for you.

Quill has 21 SBS XD60s. They're currently getting 36 Novas, which could potentially push all of those down to Flatbush.
Flatbush is getting 36 XD60s, they could potentially get those 21 XD60s from Quill.

If that all comes to fruition, how much XD60s would Flatbush have in total?

Not to mention, we still have the curious case of where JFK's XD60s will end up once they get their own batch.....

Edited by Cait Sith

50 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

1. Those XE60s are not coming for a long, long while.
2. That depends on how many LFSAs will be used for local service, if you've read up on the recent developments on those LFSAs, they've entered SBS service, not local service.
3. You've missed the part(twice) where I said that they could possibly PUSH OUT artics elsewhere to retire the D60s, along with sending their current XD60s to Flatbush to send their LFSAs elsewhere to do the same thing, reading is fundamental!

Here's a math problem for you.

Quill has 21 SBS XD60s. They're currently getting 36 Novas, which could potentially push all of those down to Flatbush.
Flatbush is getting 36 XD60s, they could potentially get those 21 XD60s from Quill.

If that all comes to fruition, how much XD60s would Flatbush have in total?

Not to mention, we still have the curious case of where JFK's XD60s will end up once they get their own batch.....

I got that part I was just wondering in general why quill need more buses. But hey if they send their XD60s to FB that would be whatever But I did before made a post predicting that quill will be sending their XD60S to FB and some people were saying I didn’t make sense. 

Well look who’s laughing now. 

Edited by Brillant93

3 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

I got that part I was just wondering in general why quill need more buses. But hey if they send their XD60s to FB that would be whatever But I did before made a post predicting that quill will be sending their XD60S to FB and some people were saying I didn’t make sense. 

Well look who’s laughing now. 

Somehow I got this gut feeling that the 24 XD60s were for a temporary stand in for the XE60s until they arrived in 7-8 months. Now that the M35 is out of Quill, service requirements have gone up and Quill will need more buses to cover both routes, as the M35 requires around 7-8 buses to make service. Once the XE60s arrive, the XD60s would be sent elsewhere, as there would be enough local buses (55 to be exact) to cover both the M14 (38-42 buses) and M35 (7-8) routes.

11 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Somehow I got this gut feeling that the 24 XD60s were for a temporary stand in for the XE60s until they arrived in 7-8 months. Now that the M35 is out of Quill, service requirements have gone up and Quill will need more buses to cover both routes, as the M35 requires around 7-8 buses to make service. Once the XE60s arrive, the XD60s would be sent elsewhere, as there would be enough local buses (55 to be exact) to cover both the M14 (38-42 buses) and M35 (7-8) routes.

You do understand that the M35 uses like 3 buses at most and it's split...right?

Edited by Cait Sith

So I assume the partial sbs46 artic conversion will probably operate only during the weekdays (M-F) leaving the weekends still using the xd40’s.

Question is what will happen to some of the 7600’s  xd40 at FB during the week day when partial of the XD60 will run on the sbs46?....

This would’ve been the perfect time to enroll the B41 to sbs.

20 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

7-8 buses is not necessary on a route that makes a circle around the Randalls Island. 

Edited by Calvin

9 minutes ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

So I assume the partial sbs46 artic conversion will probably operate only during the weekdays (M-F) leaving the weekends still using the xd40’s.

Question is what will happen to some of the 7600’s  xd40 at FB during the week day when partial of the XD60 will run on the sbs46?....

41 SBS ain't happening for another few years at most.

My guess for the 7600's is some for local service and some for SBS service.

13 minutes ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

Some SBS XD40s will probably be unwrapped and put in local service to retire some of the RTS.

Edited by trainfan22

1 minute ago, Calvin said:

7-8 buses is not necessary on a route that makes a circle around the Randalls Island. 

@Cait Sith said that the route uses three buses at most, and are split. The 7-8 number comes from spare units needed for service if one bus breaks down. As this number also came from its old base at OF (just because it moved depots does not mean the operation and fleet requirements do not instantly change), I also included the rotations from other area depots. However, now out of Quill, the rotations to other depots is no longer necessary, but the same amount of buses might be to accommodate any buses breaking down.

It would also be desirable to have some extra service on the M35 to accommodate extra service on warmer events and during events there, and to boost patronage on the Island. The more service, the merrier, right?

Just now, JeremiahC99 said:

@Cait Sith said that the route uses three buses at most, and are split. The 7-8 number comes from spare units needed for service if one bus breaks down. As this number also came from its old base at OF (just because it moved depots does not mean the operation and fleet requirements do not instantly change), I also included the rotations from other area depots. However, now out of Quill, the rotations to other depots is no longer necessary, but the same amount of buses might be to accommodate any buses breaking down.

It would also be desirable to have some extra service on the M35 to accommodate extra service on warmer events and during events there, and to boost patronage on the Island. The more service, the merrier, right?

The M35 with extra service, yes: that's the X80.

1 minute ago, Future ENY OP said:

41 SBS ain't happening for another few years at most.

My guess for the 7600's is some for local service and some for SBS service.

I guess 🤔

Twulocal100 and FB depot are requesting for a B41 restoration. We currently have flyers at the depot trying to send the Mayor and DOT a message to fix flatbush Ave and add bus lane.  That’s something I can start another topic on the forum with flyer that was created.

2 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

1 hour ago, JeremiahC99 said:

If you guys really understand how the (MTA) operates these days that these orders are SUBJECT TO CHANGE without notice.. Take heed to what the moderator is saying about these orders. Everyday there's always a change with the XD60 order and LFSA order. The average person may not get the inner workings on how these orders commence and to where depots have a need.

Edited by Future ENY OP