MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I hate when yall say "just wait" or "wait and see".  Stop being disrespectful it's a simple question, just say "it should be starting later this month if things go as scheduled". 

I didn't mean it the rude way. I should've parenthesis"(no rude reply)" with the "just wait"

5 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I hate when yall say "just wait" or "wait and see".  Stop being disrespectful it's a simple question, just say "it should be starting later this month if things go as scheduled". 

And that's exactly why some of us say wait and see....because more than half of the time, things don't always go as scheduled.

Like for example, the many times the LFS deliveries were behind schedule.

I'm also not sure how that is disrespectful. It basically implies that we're ALL waiting and seeing....

Edited by Cait Sith

I got a question? The NYCT purchase the DesignLine EcoSaver IV in 2009, as part of their BTE. These were mainly tested in MJQ and MV. They were originally supposed to be powered by the Capstone C30 Microturbines, and yes, these buses were powered by Microturbines, instead of a standard diesel engine. But they decided to use the powerful Capstone C65 Microturbines instead. I know there were withdrawn in 2011 and returned to Designline due to major issues, including the Microturbines. So I was wondering, with DesignLine being now known as Environmental Performance Vehicles Corp or EPV Corp. in 2014, will the MTA test out these buses again, since that technology is now becoming more advanced, and maybe give EPV another chance on the EcoSavers, or their other buses like the EcoCoach (NJT) or the EcoSmart?

5 hours ago, Transbusfan said:

6133 NF XD60 at FB ....

For those who kept begging when the XD60 delivery will commence. Here’s your answer on top. This order has a lot of kinks that need to be workout. Although this is supposed to be a FB/MCH order. MJQ is supposedly on the table for this also. 

On 3/6/2019 at 5:24 PM, R179 8258 said:

They’re suppose to get 28 more for local fleet 

I’m confused at what exactly you were saying about you don’t think they will get them. The total remaining is correct.

54 total.

22 SBS.

32 local. 28 pending delivery.

3 hours ago, RSMG106 said:

I got a question? The NYCT purchase the DesignLine EcoSaver IV in 2009, as part of their BTE. These were mainly tested in MJQ and MV. They were originally supposed to be powered by the Capstone C30 Microturbines, and yes, these buses were powered by Microturbines, instead of a standard diesel engine. But they decided to use the powerful Capstone C65 Microturbines instead. I know there were withdrawn in 2011 and returned to Designline due to major issues, including the Microturbines. So I was wondering, with DesignLine being now known as Environmental Performance Vehicles Corp or EPV Corp. in 2014, will the MTA test out these buses again, since that technology is now becoming more advanced, and maybe give EPV another chance on the EcoSavers, or their other buses like the EcoCoach (NJT) or the EcoSmart?

As MTA is moving towards all electric, they will no longer be testing out any more buses that aren’t. The diesel, CNG, and hybrid buses that are coming in will be the last. 

This means EPV could have a chance if they submit an EcoSmart for testing, but none of the other versions would be of any interest to the agency. 

At the moment, New Flyer is Qualified, Proterra will be Qualified once it passes the brake testing, and BYD is in the initial stage of entering the BTE program. Nova is still working on theirs. MTA is interested in testing out all electric technologies. The question is can they meet the testing demands of MTA. Many manufacturers cannot. By this being a new Company with no American service track record, it won’t be easy.

2 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

For those who kept begging when the XD60 delivery will commence. Here’s your answer on top. This order has a lot of kinks that need to be workout. Although this is supposed to be a FB/MCH order. MJQ is supposedly on the table for this also. 

There weren’t really any kinks. This is typical, and they are on schedule for the most part. 6 are due for delivery the month. 3 to FB, and 3 to Hale.

However, you have to remember the Flatbush total was reduced, and they were switched to the first depot in line for delivery.

The assignment is down to only 36, and that is subject to change at any time. Flatbush may in fact keep the other XD60’s and get a few more of them for a mixed fleet of older and brand new ones. 

Edited by East New York

9 hours ago, East New York said:

There weren’t really any kinks. This is typical, and they are on schedule for the most part. 6 are due for delivery the month. 3 to FB, and 3 to Hale.

However, you have to remember the Flatbush total was reduced, and they were switched to the first depot in line for delivery.

The assignment is down to only 36, and that is subject to change at any time. Flatbush may in fact keep the other XD60’s and get a few more of them for a mixed fleet of older and brand new ones. 

That’s a copy! 

Just 2 questions: 

1) Is there a strong possibility that some of the buses heading to CS from MJQ will eventually come towards Flatbush in regards to the mixed fleet?  

2) As for the B46 artic implementation. Will the program be temporarily suspended or will it be on schedule with the mixed MJQ/CS fleet along with the new FB fleet?  (Since FB is not due for any additional XD40’s for the local) 

57 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

That’s a copy! 

Just 2 questions: 

1) Is there a strong possibility that some of the buses heading to CS from MJQ will eventually come towards Flatbush in regards to the mixed fleet?  

2) As for the B46 artic implementation. Will the program be temporarily suspended or will it be on schedule with the mixed MJQ/CS fleet along with the new FB fleet?  (Since FB is not due for any additional XD40’s for the local) 

I think it’s on hold for now. Also some that works at FB said they’re working on routing for it. 

24 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Is the turnaround and layover at the DeKalb Avenue end of the line a big problem for the articulated buses to navigate?

I'm not sure enough to answer that but from what said on here it looks like it maybe the cause. The B46 couldn't fit them for layover and they always have been evaluated over and over to accommodate artics. Personally in my opinion they probably just need to push the last stop further up on broadway like ending at Myrtle avenue. But thats for another thread to discuss at. 

4 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

If this is what I'm thinking that the West Farms loans are slowly returning back to Brooklyn starting with 7550.

However, very nice spotting on that bus.

I think the Bx36 is going artic in the spring. So thats why the buses are going back probably. 

Edited by Brillant93

On 3/4/2019 at 3:00 PM, FLX9304 said:

Don’t tell that to SEPTA. They have 2 districts with both LFS/As & Xcelisors and 1 with NFs & LFSAs in them so both buses are the same except for maintaining them. 1 will have 3 different models 1 of NFDs, LFSAs & Proterras. So each driver in one district will be trained to operate all three models. The same can be said for NYCTA. If a driver is trained to drive OGs then they can drive NG buses such as the aforementioned ones. 

No, thats not really how it works, and SEPTA does the same thing. Operators have to be trained or qualified on whatever equipment they are driving. Both buses ARE NOT the same. They operate different, they feel different, the turning radius is different, the overhang is different, and the controls are different. Absolutely nothing is the same about these buses unless they have the same power train.

Just because a driver is trained on an OG doesn’t mean they are qualifies on a 3G. Yes they may know how to drive them but if they are not qualified then technically they cant drive them. In our case it doesn’t matter because all new operators are trained on all older 40 foot models. Yet, they will still have to qualify when they start at a depot.

example, someone who trains on an OG, still is required to train and qualify oof an NG, and then a 3G. Just because someone can drive them all doesn’t mean they are qualified. I’ve never driven an Orion V, but I’ve driven hundreds of buses. I would still need to train on it an become familiar. Sure I can just jump behind the wheel because I am a professional driver, but I am not familiar with them at all. 

On 3/5/2019 at 9:52 PM, Future ENY OP said:

Which garage has their allotment of the new order so far and I want to say besides West Farms (which is temporary)? 

Only Flatbush is complete, and West Farms is now 7 buses over their permanent temp assignment. 

7 hours ago, limitednyc said:

so how meny xd60's will f get all together?

We only know what is currently assigned and that is 36, which is subject to change at any moment now. Remember to keep up with the front page for updates. I’m going to edit the XD60 delivery today.

5 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

That’s a copy! 

Just 2 questions: 

1.) I have no idea lol. We still have to integrate the ones coming back from Bus Company as well. I will check and see what the upcoming fleet deployment plans are, and if they have been updated. 

2.) The B46+ was somewhat of a last minute decision anyway. It never had a definitive timeline, and was only an estimation of how and when it could be done. However it was based on several factors. See Below.

4 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Is the turnaround and layover at the DeKalb Avenue end of the line a big problem for the articulated buses to navigate?

No, XD60’s have a tighter turning radius than any bus in our fleet. I keep telling you guys that almost anywhere a 40 footer can go and XD60 can go. The LFSA has a slightly wider turning radius because the front section of the bus is a 40 footer. The front section of the XD60 is. Nothing more than an XD35.

This is why we have not seen one problem on the B35 at all.

The issue is parking space, which remains as a current issue with the B35 at its eastern terminal. Thank God 4 runs are still stand 40 foot. Looks like a depot down there on Hegeman and New Lots.

5 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

I think the Bx36 is going artic in the spring. So thats why the buses are going back probably. 

See below.

10 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

If this is what I'm thinking that the West Farms loans are slowly returning back to Brooklyn starting with 7550.

However, very nice spotting on that bus.

Incorrect. That was 7558. 

4 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

I'm not sure enough to answer that but from what said on here it looks like it maybe the cause. The B46 couldn't fit them for layover and they always have been evaluated over and over to accommodate artics. Personally in my opinion they probably just need to push the last stop further up on broadway like ending at Myrtle avenue. But thats for another thread to discuss at. 

Maybe I'd go 1 step further to possibly say that the last stop should be at the back of Woodhull. Directly pass the B47 bus stop..

At the corner of Marcus Garvey & Park for the accommodations for artics for the 46+.

Perfect left turn into Park Avenue (with a separate TSP light)  than a slight right onto Broadway.. (However, this is above my paygrade and this type of executive decision would require loss of parking spaces along that corridor and I think Bed-stuy has endured enough trouble when it comes to parking.)

6 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Maybe I'd go 1 step further to possibly say that the last stop should be at the back of Woodhull. Directly pass the B47 bus stop..

At the corner of Marcus Garvey & Park for the accommodations for artics for the 46+.

Perfect left turn into Park Avenue (with a separate TSP light)  than a slight right onto Broadway.. (However, this is above my paygrade and this type of executive decision would require loss of parking spaces along that corridor and I think Bed-stuy has endured enough trouble when it comes to parking.)

They stating so far the 46+ may extend to Flushing ave which i believe would be a bad idea since Broadway to flushing during peak hours is a hot mess. I did have some thoughts  on how I would make the 46+ XD60's turn-around at the original stop, but that would be in a different discussion thread..........

I saw someone mention that FB won't be receiving any new XD40's for local service  which sucks, but a few days ago the union chairman at FB was encouraging operators to go learn the new Artic XD60's since they will be the replacement of the LFSA and he also  mention about how some of the wrap 7600's XD40's would be unwrapped and go to local service once the XD60's officially roles out on the 46+. If that theory does come in play, I can see them pushing out some of the RTS's out of FB.

13 minutes ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

They stating so far the 46+ may extend to Flushing ave which i believe would be a bad idea since Broadway to flushing during peak hours is a hot mess. I did have some thoughts  on how I would make the 46+ XD60's turn-around at the original stop, but that would be in a different discussion thread..........

I saw someone mention that FB won't be receiving any new XD40's for local service  which sucks, but a few days ago the union chairman at FB was encouraging operators to go learn the new Artic XD60's since they will be the replacement of the LFSA and he also  mention about how some of the wrap 7600's XD40's would be unwrapped and go to local service once the XD60's officially roles out on the 46+. If that theory does come in play, I can see them pushing out some of the RTS's out of FB.

That should have been how it was when the B46 went select. It shouldn't have ended at Dekalb because it was just shy of a train transfer to the J. If its extended I would welcome it. 

5 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

I always thought it should terminate at myrtle and Broadway