MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

3 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Word is that Flatbush's batch has been temporarily cut by 7 more buses to 29 because they need extra buses for the M14 SBS. Once the 15 XE60s show up, those buses will end up back at Flatbush.

I have a theory that Flatbush might get JFK's 6100s if they start the deliveries of the MTA Bus batch.

You might be right about that. 

Order started at 57 buses for FB. Decreased to 36, and now 29. 

*I’m reading an Daily News Article that this (L) train project could get cut down to 12 Months. Most of the work is done. Once I get to a PC  I will post the article* 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, limitednyc said:

Don't forget that fla will need less xd 60's as of Monday . Do to a  service cut on the on the 44sbs.

That would have nothing to do with why they would need less....if that became the case.

6 minutes ago, aemoreira81 said:

What local route could use an articulated bus at LaGuardia?

None.

And 6234 left LaGuardia, it's at the vendor. So you can slow your roll lol.

1 hour ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Reminder that 6234 is currently assigned for local service. It has yet to be seen if 6234 will be unwrapped or see service on a different route other than the Q53.

There is no other route that 6234 can see service in and it's not currently assigned for local service. The scheme also doesn't play a factor since they can just unwrap it. 

Seeing as it's back at the vendor now, it was only there for show, but still assigned at LaGuardia.  

The MTA Bus batch is set to directly replace the even numbered 6000s and sent those back to Transit. 

Edited by Cait Sith

something doesn’t add up with these XD60s going to quill. They got more LFSAs (36 in fact) that already replaced majority of the local fleet for the M14 sbs. But being how the M14 is going select how on earth would they need more buses? Are they’re adding more service? 

48 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

something doesn’t add up with these XD60s going to quill. They got more LFSAs (36 in fact) that already replaced majority of the local fleet for the M14 sbs. But being how the M14 is going select how on earth would they need more buses? Are they’re adding more service? 

Yes, to supplement the L slowdown among other things.

Remember, they're already adding service to the M14A, which will need more buses.

The 36 Novas would not have replaced the local fleet entirely. The XD60s would have. Quill also lost XD60s to Stengel not too long ago(for added Q44 SBS service), which the new LFSAs displaced.

Edited by Cait Sith

23 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Yes, to supplement the L slowdown among other things.

Remember, they're already adding service to the M14A, which will need more buses.

The 36 Novas would not have replaced the local fleet entirely. The XD60s would have. Quill also lost XD60s to Stengel not too long ago(for added Q44 SBS service), which the new LFSAs displaced.

Could it be possible that when transit get their buses from bus co could some of those go to quill? 

1 minute ago, Brillant93 said:

Could it be possible that when transit get their buses from bus co could some of those go to quill? 

There is a possibility of that happening. With the way things have been happening these days. It's best to just wait and see.

But, my theory is that Flatbush will get JFK's 6100s if they proceed with the delivery of the MTA Bus batch of artics.

1 minute ago, Cait Sith said:

There is a possibility of that happening. With the way things have been happening these days. It's best to just wait and see.

But, my theory is that Flatbush will get JFK's 6100s if they proceed with the delivery of the MTA Bus batch of artics.

I believe most of the XD60s MTA Bus has now are for Tuskegee Airmen Depot, since when the assignments for these buses first came out, the bulk of the buses (79) were to go there. Those bulk buses also have the local scheme painted there. Once the XD60s for MTA Bus and the 15 XE60s for Quill all arrive, the XD60s from both MTA Bus and Quill would be unwrapped from SBS service and moved to Tuskegee Airmen, displacing the LFSA buses to West Farms, Gun Hill, and Kingsbridge.

I also believe your theory on the 6100s XD60s could be correct. In fact, I can see the assignments for all the XD60s going like this:

5987-6286 (NYCT) & (MTA)

5987-6029 (43) Casey Stengel for Q44+

6030-6108 (79) Tuskegee Airmen (100th Street)

6109-6125 (17) Flatbush for B46+

6126-6233 (108) 51 for Mother Clara Hale (146th Street) for M15+, 21 for Mike Quill for M14+, 36 for Flatbush for B44+

6234-6286 (53) 43 for Q52+ at JFK/Far Rockaway and Q53+ at LaGuardia. 10 for service expansion

This is how I see it go down. Now the real question is what would the B82 SBS get for artic ops in 2020 as the 17 XD60s now going to FB (6109-6125) were meant for them, and the (MTA) wants all SBS routes to have the new scheme buses.

On the 6234-6286 batch, the 10 for expansion, in my opinion, should be for the Q70 for capacity increases...putting the Q53 and Q70 in one pool. The Q70 absolutely needs the extra capacity. Right now, the Q53 SBS fleet is 25 buses and the Q70 LaGuardia Link is 12 buses, and there are 15 SBS-wrapped XD60s at JFK (occasionally, a local XD60 might go on the Q52 SBS).

Also, keep in mind that the 15 electric artics should be for Quill, and likely the M14 route. That could displace 15 XD60s to the B82. 

As for Flatbush, one would need more than 53 artics for the B44 (36 buses) and B46 (48 buses) if both go all articulated. Currently, Tuskegee Airmen has 25 XD60s (6033-6081 odd numbers)---I can't see them jumping up to 79. Instead, I see most of the other 54 going to Flatbush and East New York.

Edited by aemoreira81

1 hour ago, aemoreira81 said:

On the 6234-6286 batch, the 10 for expansion, in my opinion, should be for the Q70 for capacity increases...putting the Q53 and Q70 in one pool. The Q70 absolutely needs the extra capacity. Right now, the Q53 SBS fleet is 25 buses and the Q70 LaGuardia Link is 12 buses, and there are 15 SBS-wrapped XD60s at JFK (occasionally, a local XD60 might go on the Q52 SBS).

The 10 expansion buses may possibly for the summer service on the Q52 and Q53, since last year, the Q53 became hella crowded. Even with the 8 XD60s they borrowed from Casey Stengel were not enough. Link here: https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2018/08/05/eyes-on-the-street-on-sunday-the-rockaway-bound-sbs-is-really-crowded/

Also, keep in mind that the 15 electric artics should be for Quill, and likely the M14 route. That could displace 15 XD60s to the B82. 

The 15 XE60s are all for Quill, to be used for the upcoming M14 SBS and the new long-awaited busway the (MTA) is putting in. The B82 SBS won’t get articulated buses until next summer.

As for Flatbush, one would need more than 53 artics for the B44 (36 buses) and B46 (48 buses) if both go all articulated. Currently, Tuskegee Airmen has 25 XD60s (6033-6081 odd numbers)---I can't see them jumping up to 79. Instead, I see most of the other 54 going to Flatbush and East New York.

Nobody is proposing that the B46 SBS go all Artic. It’s not needed at this moment. The plan for the B46 SBS articulated is to test it out with 10-13 buses.

For Tuskegee Airmen, I can see them jumping up to 79 because when the assignments first came out, they had a fleet of 74 D60HF buses to replace. 79 XD60s would've replaced the 74 D60HFs plus service expansion of 5 buses. Plus they were always to get that many XD60s due to the age of the fleet. East New York already has a batch of 4700’s XD40s for them for the B15, while FB is taking in XD60s for the B44, and will receive some directly from MTA Bus.

1 hour ago, JeremiahC99 said:

The 10 expansion buses may possibly for the summer service on the Q52 and Q53, since last year, the Q53 became hella crowded. Even with the 8 XD60s they borrowed from Casey Stengel were not enough. Link here: https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2018/08/05/eyes-on-the-street-on-sunday-the-rockaway-bound-sbs-is-really-crowded/

The 15 XE60s are all for Quill, to be used for the upcoming M14 SBS and the new long-awaited busway the (MTA) is putting in. The B82 SBS won’t get articulated buses until next summer.

Nobody is proposing that the B46 SBS go all Artic. It’s not needed at this moment. The plan for the B46 SBS articulated is to test it out with 10-13 buses.

For Tuskegee Airmen, I can see them jumping up to 79 because when the assignments first came out, they had a fleet of 74 D60HF buses to replace. 79 XD60s would've replaced the 74 D60HFs plus service expansion of 5 buses. Plus they were always to get that many XD60s due to the age of the fleet. East New York already has a batch of 4700’s XD40s for them for the B15, while FB is taking in XD60s for the B44, and will receive some directly from MTA Bus.

Majority of the sbs46 bus stop has been modify and reconstructed for Articulated buses. They either made the stops platform longer or moved the stop to a much more convenient location just so the articulated bus can position properly.

8 hours ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

Majority of the sbs46 bus stop has been modify and reconstructed for Articulated buses. They either made the stops platform longer or moved the stop to a much more convenient location just so the articulated bus can position properly.

Asa daily user of the B46 SBS, I am well aware of that. A lot of the stops can fit 2 standard buses with excess space for pullouts.

But anyway, while I still believe that the B46 needs to go all Artic, I don’t think the time is now, given our finite resources. It’s only a test. From there, they can place new orders for articulated buses to fully convert the line.

15 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Asa daily user of the B46 SBS, I am well aware of that. A lot of the stops can fit 2 standard buses with excess space for pullouts.

But anyway, while I still believe that the B46 needs to go all Artic, I don’t think the time is now, given our finite resources. It’s only a test. From there, they can place new orders for articulated buses to fully convert the line.

I think the money right now isn’t set for any new artics except for the XE order since the new XD60 order is in progress. ENY said in a post that if things fail with the XE60s the mta has s backup for another fuel type just Incase. 

16 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Preliminary assignments of the MTA Bus Artics, subject to change.

6234-6268 to LGA

6269-6286 to JFK.

So it’s going to be 35 for LaGuardia and 18 for JFK. That’s great.

Does this mean that they will run their increased summer schedule for all year long or is there something else going on, because last I check, there was going to be a 10 bus service expansion, while 43 of the buses will be for the Q52/53.

39 minutes ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

Working last night flatbush yard the following buses were listed to be placed on hold for scrap

4964 , 4995,  4997,  5038,  5044,  5045,  5125, 5126, 5138,  5142, and 5173. 

Some of those buses saw service yesterday during the day. 

Edited by Future ENY OP

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

6135 Flatbush to MJQ

There are slowly chipping away with the new fleet from Flatbush to send old MJQ XD60 fleet. (all this for the M14+) Only the Department of Buses could do this to Flatbush. Before you turn around all the new 61xx buses will be out of Brooklyn and into Manhattan + Quill getting their own 61xx buses. Surprised that DOB is not touching MCH XD60 order.

Honestly, (MTA) should of ordered more buses for the M14SBS but this is surely above my pay grade.

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

There are slowly chipping away with the new fleet from Flatbush to send old MJQ XD60 fleet. (all this for the M14+) Only the Department of Buses could do this to Flatbush. Before you turn around all the new 61xx buses will be out of Brooklyn and into Manhattan + Quill getting their own 61xx buses. Surprised that DOB is not touching MCH XD60 order.

Honestly, (MTA) should of ordered more buses for the M14SBS but this is surely above my pay grade.

When did this happen? I could've sworn I saw 6135 at the depot today. I had 6130 all day